Royal Marines Gucci Rebrand

There are a few regimental funds that could provide that, and some of it is available through the system. Unfortunately any work being done on UK military buildings is expressly banned and we have to use the contractors instead.
There are two points in there:
  • Quite reasonably, the Army doesn't want to be paying twice for the same maintenance, because that would be wasteful of public funds.
  • Any banning is most likely an Army thing, not a contractor thing. The contractors would just smile, then bill you extra for "remediation work". "Put in a sink, did we, mate? Oooooh, some right dodgy work there, and you haven't got planning permission for that repurposing. And it doesn't comply with the local council planning department's building regulations. It'll have to be redone..."
It also neatly disproves any claims of the success and widespread nature of Mission Command... that, or LE Quartermasters* - good old Befehlstaktik, bless 'em.

* The irony being that there's hardly an LE Quartermaster still serving, who was still in before the Revolution in Military Thinking which binned the BG Aide Memoire, Appreciations, and Start Lines; and instead gave us BATCO, Mission Command, Estimates, and Lines of Departure, with all those nice green filofax TAMs... "1 Sect: Group... Tasks... LOE... Reorg...; 2 Sect..."

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Any banning is most likely an Army thing, not a contractor thing.
It's definitely a contractor thing. For any building work (including eg. hanging paintings) they get paid per job. The WiFi infrastructure is physically owned by the contractor so we can't touch it.

It also neatly disproves any claims of the success and widespread nature of Mission Command... that, or LE Quartermasters* - good old Befehlstaktik, bless 'em.
It really doesn't. Mission Command is an operational command state; it has nothing to do with the administration of contracts in barracks.

It's definitely a contractor thing. For building work they get paid per job, while for the WiFi it's physically owned by a contractor.
Fair enough, I'm wrong again. Wifi-as-a-Service, cute... I take it that's for an UNCLAS network for personal use?

It really doesn't. Mission Command is an operational command state; it has nothing to do with the administration of contracts in barracks.
There was me thinking it was a basic change in philosophy such that you told people "what you wanted done and why" (and leaving the "how" up to them), rather than "what you wanted done, and how to do it"...

...and regarding command states, I take it you're suggesting that working via contractors results in ADMINCON, while you'd far prefer it to be OPCOM?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fair enough, I'm wrong again. Wifi-as-a-Service, cute... I take it that's for an UNCLAS network for personal use?
Yup. Run by a company called Wifinity at most camps. I've been to places with MOD provided internet for work purposes. Not sure who runs that, but I suspect it's not the Royal Signals so you might be right about that one.

There was me thinking it was a basic change in philosophy such that you told people "what you wanted done and why" (and leaving the "how" up to them), rather than "what you wanted done, and how to do it"...
Not really. Where possible, you should tell people what you want done and why. That doesn't preculde you telling people the specifics of how, when, and/or where if that will likely result in a better outcome. When running contracts that presumably involve penalties for breaching them, restrictions are probably a good idea.

Not really. Where possible, you should tell people what you want done and why. That doesn't preculde you telling people the specifics of how, when, and/or where if that will likely result in a better outcome. When running contracts that presumably involve penalties for breaching them, restrictions are probably a good idea.
No doubt I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but the two obvious examples are defensive operations, where you're planning positions in detail, two levels down, like BAOR during the Cold War for forty years... and operations in an era of mass callups and poorly-trained conscripts / reservists, where the boss really does know best how things need to be done.

...TAMs, Auftragstaktik, and Mission Command only really turned up when GOC 1 (Br) Corps started muttering about "Counterstroke" in the mid/late 1980s...

Oh god. This really is "the ARRSE highlights thread" now.

All we need is a mention of the B word and J button, and Angie will stop being the angles and haunt us instead...

Cromarty

Old-Salt
That's exactly the point. If you want the skilled engineering work done, but also need the toilets cleaned / bins emptied / walls painted / grass mown, you employ different people to do each job, because it's cheaper to have a £15/hour cleaner doing the cleaning, than a £50/hour engineer taking time away from the project.

Both jobs will always need done, so why pay over the odds for one of them?

It begins to look stupid when people don't understand what's actually involved in various tasks - e.g. "how do you meet harmonisation guidelines for skilled engineers, and avoid pissing them off sufficiently that they take the seven clicks to freedom". If you have a plan for that, great. If you haven't, you get a nasty surprise down the line with a skills gap - but it's the fault of the Service concerned, not with contractorisation per se.
Another incorrect example. Your 50 quid an hour Engineer would be an officer in the services. He/she would be the one telling the sailor/soldier/airman what to do, not doing it themselves.

Yes, it looks very stupid when people don't know what they are talking about.

Cromarty

Old-Salt
The RM on board in January had rumours of the C8's coming and seemed to like the idea as they are nice and look cool. They really disliked virtus so will be happy that's getting replaced. But there will be lots of over equipped RMs for some very boring Noddy roles....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
So you'd rather wait until they were needed somewhere fast to issue them their kit? FFBNW?

Last edited:

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Really?

My recent experience of the UK Army and RAF is that without their civvy contractors and consultants, they would be left out of the big NATO parties as they would have no clue how to join in or know what the rules are.

Proving that replacing service personnel with civilians hollows out your force rendering causing issues when needed.

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Come on, can we stay on topic? How did we end up discussing civvie day rates intercepting Bears in UKADIZ? ‍♂
Because if you didn't give the Royals nice gucci kit you could pay some civvie pilot to intercept the Bears. Thus the UK budget is fixed.

You're welcome. I'll take my consultancy fee in USD.

Greenfly

On ROPS
On ROPs
Been briefed that 42 cdo will now rotate the coys through boarding assault teams, ship force protection , joint personnel recovery and force generation. This commences in September. Seems 42 are the first to tip toe into FCF.
The corps is very much still finding it's feet in relation to this new FCF role and heads are spinning. It's easy to perceive that reverting back to that 'Royal Marine' role, guarding jack camps and being confined to ships is what the future holds because that is all that the media and the majority of recruitment is covering.
J Coy, 42 Commando are cutting around with new kit (Poole scraps- C8s & Sig P226) and equipment looking Gucci and conducting a lot of VBSS exercises in the public eye so its a gold mine for the media and it is also being used a lot for recruitment because they look the part. Also high profile taskings such as Grace One took the spotlight for a short while.
43 Cdo will continue stagging on at the nuclear deterrent because that is their role and their purpose, which will remain ongoing.
That leaves 40 and 45 Commando (supported by pongo30, CLR, CHF and 47) who are alternating between the roles of lead commando and force generation (preparing for lead commando). You won't see these lads conducting VBSS taskings and they won't be guarding bases. These lads are conducting exercises all over the world honing their land fighting skills in a variety of different environments and yes they may be on ship at times, but they have to have a base from which to launch into these different countries.
I can tell you that these units are currently trialling new kit and equipment and trialling working in these smaller teams, as well as conducting training which is more along the lines of raids and strike ops. Whilst the future aim is often labelled as a 'littoral strike' role, the corps will certainly not be limited to this area.

Unfortunately we can't just go and start raiding random terrorist jungle camps to prove to the world that we are back to our Commando routes.

Yours aye,

Royal

Last edited:
D

Deleted 3147

At the moment the RM is about 1

All we need is a mention of the B word and J button, and Angie will stop being the angles and haunt us instead...
Harriers haven't been mentioned yet. I'm confident though

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I'm getting the enhanced version, with @QRK2 going through all my posts and putting Dumb tags on them even if they're just simple statements of fact.

Every few months I log on and discover he's spent an evening going across multiple threads and given me about 20. Weird bloke.

Latest Threads