Royal Marines Gucci Rebrand

No, no, ACA/EAP was only ever meant to be a replacement for Hawk and Jaguar. But the USAF offered us eleventy thousand F-15s for free, and to stop the RAF from having them, Typhoon was turned into a "fighter".

(Same as HMS Queen Elizabeth was only scoped as the replacement Gosport ferry, until the US Navy said they'd pay us to take a dozen of their spare Nimitz-class CVNs off their hands)

It's really easy having opinions once you no longer have to maintain even tenuous connections to reality...
Indeed, I've discarded all memory of Air Staff Target (AST) 403 as it was obviously something from my imagination, I'm more than happy to be corrected by our all knowing CS and his Observer's Book Of Aircraft Fantasy Procurement.

Hopefully accumulated but unnoticed over previous tours rather than a one-tour screw up?
Most of it was Commando log. Clearly didnt do random checks or any other check for that matter.
I cant remember if the helmets were 6 or 6A but I do remember the infantry wanting them. We found several hundred of them, a month or two into the tour in locked isos...

Its was an example I didn't realise as well as everyone having a regular hours only job, that every single camp also had great bins.
He has a point, if industrial size bins are blowing over you've got a few more problems than needing a fod plod....

Suffice to say, the link isn't evidence that the RM moves are actually evidence of a well-thought out plan rather than short term politicking.
It's exactly what it is, can we expect an airborne elevenrife response?

Most of it was Commando log. Clearly didnt do random checks or any other check for that matter.
I cant remember if the helmets were 6 or 6A but I do remember the infantry wanting them. We found several hundred of them, a month or two into the tour in locked isos...
Aren't the Ord Sqn in Commando Log Commando trained RLC bods like they used to be in RAOC days?

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
Falkland Islands 1982.

The big air battles didn't happen in GW1 because we kept the Iraqi AF grounded then bombed it to bits. What did get airborne was splashed or ran away to Iran when it got the chance.
There were no big Air Battles over the Falklands, the Shar Pilots achieved their Victories in one's and two's.

My point is that the Aerial Free-For-Alls of WW-ll have long long gone, yet many people seem to think that because the F-22 Raptor and Typhoon are now in service a new wave of Sky Battles are imminent.

He has a point, if industrial size bins are blowing over you've got a few more problems than needing a fod plod....
I didnt say industrial size bins either Mr Picky.

Aren't the Ord Sqn in Commando Log Commando trained RLC bods like they used to be in RAOC days?
Yep, most of them concentrate on fitness though.

There were no big Air Battles over the Falklands, the Shar Pilots achieved their Victories in one's and two's.

My point is that the Aerial Free-For-Alls of WW-ll have long long gone, yet many people seem to think that because the F-22 Raptor and Typhoon are now in service a new wave of Sky Battles are imminent.
You're the only big sky battle fantasist here. It's about control of the air, with enough resources to keep your army and navy relatively safe. Without FRS1 the FI would probably be the Las Malvinas with a nice Dago flag flying at Government House

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
You need to up your game on your quoting skilz. BAE produced something which could do the job it was needed to do and paved the way for Typhoon by keeping Warton going and the design teams busy.

Skilz fail 2. GW1 and 2 would have been fun without air superiority. Are you some kind of SoI sock?

Any terrible problems in parts of the armed forces can usually be laid at the door of poor management and procurement for that part of the armed forces.
Part One, The Tornado F-3 was merely a Tax-Payer Subsidy for BAE. Only the Saudi's bought it outside the U.K. (They also bought the F-15C as well).

Part two, There was only ONE way that Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom were ever going to end.

Part Three, The U.S. and it's Allies had Air Superiority over Korea, Vietnam, Bosnia, Kosova, Aghanistan and Iraq......none of which ended decisively.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
You're the only big sky battle fantasist here. It's about control of the air, with enough resources to keep your army and navy relatively safe. Without FRS1 the FI would probably be the Las Malvinas with a nice Dago flag flying at Government House
If the Argies had waited a little longer there wouldn't have been a Falklands War, as Hermes was to be sold and the R.M. were going to be disbanded amongst other planned Defence Cuts.

The Sea Harrier FRS 1 was little more than a modified Harrier GR 1 rather than a purpose-built Carrier Aircraft.

Part One, The Tornado F-3 was merely a Tax-Payer Subsidy for BAE. Only the Saudi's bought it outside the U.K. (They also bought the F-15C as well).
<Sighs> I've told you what it was and why it was what it was, it did its job. What do you think its job was? Clue here, one of us has loaded them.
Part two, There was only ONE way that Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom were ever going to end.
Why do you think that was?
Part Three, The U.S. and it's Allies had Air Superiority over Korea, Vietnam, Bosnia, Kosova, Aghanistan and Iraq......none of which ended decisively.
?????????? What's your point caller?

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
If the Argies had waited a little longer there wouldn't have been a Falklands War, as Hermes was to be sold and the R.M. were going to be disbanded amongst other planned Defence Cuts.

The Sea Harrier FRS 1 was little more than a modified Harrier GR 1 rather than a purpose-built Carrier Aircraft.
Invincible was also on the way to Australia.

The FRS.1 was rather more than a modified GR.1.

Bear in mind that some on here actually worked on Blue Fox/Vixen and the later CAPTOR.

If
Aye, because bunging in a Blue Fox and associated gubbins can be done in a weekend....remember what happened when we fitted AIM-9 to the GR 1? For the FI as it happens, rush job.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
Invincible was also on the way to Australia.

The FRS.1 was rather more than a modified GR.1.

Bear in mind that some on here actually worked on Blue Fox/Vixen and the later CAPTOR.
BAE did a similar thing to the Harrier GR 1 as it did to the Tornado GR 1.....add a new/different Radar, make a few changes here and there and et voilá Britain has a new Fighter suitable for it's needs.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
BAE did a similar thing to the Harrier GR 1 as it did to the Tornado GR 1.....add a new/different Radar, make a few changes here and there and et voilá Britain has a new Fighter suitable for it's needs.
The only thing that was going to come off a see-through carrier through-deck cruiser was STOVL in nature.

The Invincible-class was the only way of keeping the RN in the aviation game at the time, and the SHAR was a very good solution.

Later, the FA.2, with Blue Vixen and AMRAAM, was for a while the best combination in NATO.

Latest Threads