Royal Marines Gucci Rebrand

The Telegraph are reporting that two new permanently forward deployed (N Atlantic/Med and ME/Asia) RM amphibious units will be created, with accompanying changes in branding, uniform and lots of Gucci kit.

The article is quite long and paywalled but here’s a snippet:

Britain’s Commando forces are to undergo a radical transformation to face future threats across the globe, the Royal Navy has announced.

The days of British troops charging across enemy held beaches are, hopefully, over. However, complex and technically advanced threats from adversaries have demanded a new way of projecting force.

As modern weapon systems can hit ships hundreds of miles out from an objective, just getting to the fight is now a problem in itself.

Major General Matthew Holmes, the Commandant General of the Royal Marines (CGRM), says the Future Commando Force will be a more “lethal, survivable and sustained” amphibious capability.

A persistent forward presence based on ships seeks to offer global access and “pose greater dilemmas to our adversaries,” General Holmes says.

Two Littoral Response Groups (LRG), each of a few hundred commandos and supporting elements, will deploy on roughly six-month cycles to respond to crises ranging from humanitarian disaster to conventional warfare.

It is envisaged one LRG will be permanently east of Suez, with the Royal Navy facility in Bahrain acting as a staging post.

The second Group will focus on Nato’s northern flank, working closely with Norwegian amphibious forces, and the Mediterranean.

The three Bay-Class Landing Ship Dock Auxiliary ships, crewed by the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, will be the likely hosts, initially at least, with additional medical and aviation facilities developed in the near future.

General Holmes says there will be “tangible differences” in how Britain’s commando forces operate from next year.
Some accompanying warry pics:
1593214290783.jpeg

Sans SA80

1593214242427.jpeg

White ensign becomes standard

1593214324368.jpeg

Blue steel

1593214362826.jpeg

Optional S-line red pack

Full article here:

Last edited:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
It could read, 'RN heads off next wave of MoD redundancy measures to balance budget restraint'.

It could read, 'RN heads off next wave of MoD redundancy measures to balance budget restraint'.
The RN have already absolutely rinsed the Defence Budget by building obsolete missile targets that we don't need. They need to find some way to ring-fence money that the Army could really do with. What better way, than to change a couple of badges and jazz up littoral manoeuvre, another thing that we don't really need.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
The withdrawal of permanently based forces from East of Suez took place sometime circa1968.
Is HMG really going to turn back the clock 50 odd years and re-establish such a presence. ?Or is this merely CGRM flying a kite, and the Telegraph getting unwittingly dragged along.?

The withdrawal of permanently based forces from East of Suez took place sometime circa1968.
Is HMG really going to turn back the clock 50 odd years and re-establish such a presence. ?Or is this merely CGRM flying a kite, and the Telegraph getting unwittingly dragged along.?
Rise of China no doubt.

What that has to do with us is less certain. I don't see the Chinese Marines being based in Jersey. Give it a few years though, they're already building in Djibouti.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I think i saw something a while back about they are ditching the SA80 altogether to use the Diemaco rifle? They will be operating in smaller sub-troop size groups or something like that.

arfah

LE
Like any announcement of this nature that seems positive at first glance I'm left wondering "what's the catch/nasty surprise"
My bone idle speculation: Sell/Scrap Albion and Bulwark...?

The Telegraph are reporting that two new permanently forward deployed (N Atlantic/Med and ME/Asia) RM amphibious units will be created, with accompanying changes in branding, uniform and lots of Gucci kit.

The article is quite long and paywalled but here’s a snippet:

Some accompanying warry pics:
View attachment 485242
Sans SA80

View attachment 485241
White ensign becomes standard

View attachment 485243
Blue steel

View attachment 485244
Optional S-line red pack

Full article here:

What intrigues me is the ease with which you use certain terminology, given your claimed lack of any involvement with the military.

Dr Death

Old-Salt
Yes with the deduction of spending 40, 42 & 45 will be down each to a company soon.
Each one will get their turn playing in the med with the 1 rib & a gemini.

Chef

LE
The actual cam pattern looks like old American stuff and wouldn't it be better to show properly lit pictures rather than moodily lit arty stuff?

Come on Tarquin it's working clothes for a specific task not a fashion shoot. That's where the LBD comes in.

As discussed elsewhere, it's Crye.

And I'm genuinely surprised this has been cleared for announcement.

Last edited:

clanky

War Hero
Its the corps distancing itself from the old amphibious model of LCUs, BARVs and LPDs. Good news for Royal, bad news for the Moralbion and Bulwank.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So the question now is:

Why would any young sprog join the Army when you can join the Marines instead, play with guccier kit, wear more ally clothes and travel to better places more often?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Its the corps distancing itself from the old amphibious model of LCUs, BARVs and LPDs. Good news for Royal, bad news for the Moralbion and Bulwank.
Aren’t the Bay class RFAs mentioned in the article, just cheap and cheerful versions of Albion and Bulwark anyway?

Latest Threads