Royal Marines greeted by crowds after bloody tour of Afghan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jun 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Times Online
    June 30, 2009
    Royal Marines greeted by crowds after bloody tour of Afghanistan

(Dominic Lipinski /PA)
    Royal Marines march to the Houses of Parliament

Deborah Haynes, Defence Correspondent
    Fresh home from one of the bloodiest tours in Afghanistan, Royal Marines from 3 Commando Brigade marched to the Houses of Parliament today, drawing crowds of wellwishers and curious tourists.

A lone protester, reportedly waving an Iraqi flag and shouting “Free Palestine”, also made a brief appearance, causing a minor disturbance at Parliament Square before being moved aside.

Lance Corporal Tim Skinner, 25, said that the parade meant a great deal. “It’s a really tough job that service people do and I don’t think civilians 100 per cent understand how tough it is. But it’s nice for them to come out and show a bit of support. It makes it worthwhile,” said the Marine from London, who was caught up in a number of firefights while patrolling in Helmand province.

The group of 120 Marines, representing different elements of the brigade, marched from Wellington Barracks, near Buckingham Palace, to the House of Commons, where they attended a drinks reception.
    More on the link

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6612609.ece

2. Good effort Royal!

3. A lone protester, reportedly waving an Iraqi flag and shouting “Free Palestine”, also made a brief appearance, causing a minor disturbance at Parliament Square before being moved aside.

A bit geographically confused chap there? :lol:

Nice one Royal.

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Oooooh, you little devil you! You nearly had me all jumping and a-skipping about then! :twisted:

5. Attached Files:

6. ''Lance Corporal Tim Skinner, 25, said that the parade meant a great deal. “It’s a really tough job that service people do and I don’t think civilians 100 per cent understand how tough it is. But it’s nice for them to come out and show a bit of support. It makes it worthwhile,” said the Marine from London''
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6612609.ece

''L/Cpl Tim Skinner, 25, said: "It's nice to get a bit of recognition from people and it's nice to show off."
    The soldier, from 2 Princess Wales' Royal Regiment, returned from Afghanistan in the spring after a four-month tour. ''
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8127437.stm

7. LCpl Skinner is defin a Tiger.

8. It's really encouraging when they do stuff like this... can't really take a protest seriously if the protester(cnut) doesn't know the cause he is protesting for.

I think I'm going to go out and protest against nuclear arms... Meat is Murder! Bare Skin not Bear skin. :?

9. Much respect to the guys but while there could they not had a look about and mibi shot a PM or a couple of his minions? Their popularity would have skyrocketed.

Bit worrying though ... did any of them get naked or indulge in rollmat fighting?

10. Sadly it seems to have been a bit more than one geographically embarrassed protestor according to this.

Seems Westminsters resident protestor had a lot to say for himself as well

11. In over 20 years of service, and the "oppertunity" to get caught up in every conflict going during that time, some a couple of times, I have never had to attend a home comming parade, would I have liked to , not sure, could I have handled it if some twat had started to spout this kind of shite? I doubt it , comming home is hard enough.Who the hell are these people and why do we not just arrest and pack them off to wherever they come from??????????????????

FFS, its a parade to say proud to be british and proud of the guys..........................anyone who is protesting needs locking up/ sending back to where they came from , coz it's obviously not that great and thats why they are now in GB!!!!!

God i hope they all catch swine flue and die!!

12. The problem is that 99.9% of the " Free Palestine " mob were born here . Why is it someone who lives in a nice big house in Surrey is so concerned about the Middle East ?

13. because our country is weak and we let them?

Im not condoning some sort of dictatorship but were these individuals to protest in the countries they claim to be so fond of they would be dissapeared.

Because we are so afraid of offending people by telling them to fcuk of is why we attract such cnuts

14. So you would rather they were shut up? And why should they 'fcuk off' if, as Spanny says, they were born here - where would they fcuk off to?

15. Is it not more annoying that the media have such a poor understanding of the Forces that they label everyone in 'Marines' despite being Army, and therefore quite different.

It works both ways, during the Fly Navy 100 celebrations the BBC news ticker announced how the 'RAF were mounting a flypast to celebrate etc etc' - i'm sorry, the RAF isn't quite that old yet.

It's shocking how little the media know or understand the Forces. Bah.