Royal Marines Drill / Ammo Boots

CC_TA

LE
That'll be the ones. Just googled them, lots on ebay and on tinterweb etc for around £40.00 to £60.00. Some look like knock off copies, but the genuine originals cost £200.00 upwards. Thank you kindly Sir:salut::salut:

Decent bottle of scotch to your storeman and get him to demand some ;-)

Same goes for Drill boots.

Still on the subject of boots. Can anyone remember the name or brand of those fancy black boots that some SNCO's and or officers used to wear with their Mess Kit?

I can't remember whether they were slip on, lace up, or zip up boots, but they looked smarter that the standard bulled black army shoes.

TIA
A proper officer would wear Mess Wellingtons under his mess kit overalls. George boots were/are for wearing when in Blues.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
As a bit of an aside: does anyone know when they stopped issuing ammos? I joined at the beginning of 1966 and was issued a pair of DMS and a pair of ammos (as best boots). I think I may have been among the last intakes to do that. Does anyone have any further info on that?

MsG

jinxy

LE
As a bit of an aside, when I went through JLRRAC we had two Guards drill Sgts. A WO2 from the Coldstream's and a Sgt from the Grens. I saw both of them on their arse due to Ammo boots. Funny as fook.

As a bit of an aside: does anyone know when they stopped issuing ammos? I joined at the beginning of 1966 and was issued a pair of DMS and a pair of ammos (as best boots). I think I may have been among the last intakes to do that. Does anyone have any further info on that?

MsG
You weren’t Aug 68 1 pr DMS and I set ammo, never actually got to wear them, still got them, manufactured in Oz.

Still on the subject of boots. Can anyone remember the name or brand of those fancy black boots that some SNCO's and or officers used to wear with their Mess Kit?

I can't remember whether they were slip on, lace up, or zip up boots, but they looked smarter that the standard bulled black army shoes.

TIA
Mess Wellingtons. Pull on.

Wellington boots - patent leather officers’ pattern wellington boots may be worn all appropriate occasions.

Aspiring officers can get them with spur boxes fitted as Royal Marine Adjutants can/could take parade on horseback, and Lt Colonels and above wear spurs when in Formal Evening Dress.

Adjutant,Equerries, MilitaryAssistants, Aides-de-Camp and FlagLieutenants wear overalls, wellington
boots and spurs.

RM use the same Ammo Boots the RN (and I think its tri-service) do for guards and these days come new via the stores system. It comes in the same style box as the RN's leather soled Officers parade shoe. The actual boot isn't marked with a manufacturers mark but mine where made in 2013.
IMG-20211119-WA0003.jpg

Chef

LE

Wellington boots - patent leather officers’ pattern wellington boots may be worn all appropriate occasions.

Aspiring officers can get them with spur boxes fitted as Royal Marine Adjutants can/could take parade on horseback, and Lt Colonels and above wear spurs when in Formal Evening Dress.

Adjutant,Equerries, MilitaryAssistants, Aides-de-Camp and FlagLieutenants wear overalls, wellington
boots and spurs.
Also everyone in The Yeomanry in blues wore spurs. Taught me to be cautious going downstairs after wine had been taken.

I blagged a pair of patent leather ones from the band, while a mate had a pair of Chelsea boots boxed for spurs.

'Cos of being cheapskates I guess.

boots and spurs.
Patent leather? You utter feckin’ oik! Are you in the RAF?

Fair point??? Or perhaps continued ignorance of the uninformed.

To enlighten, although described as...Mess Wellingtons are not usually patent leather. Mine certainly were not.

They required a degree of personal effort to achieve that degree of gloss that is considered acceptable...in the mess...for which I was well trained, and applied to my own particular pair. :)

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
RM use the same Ammo Boots the RN (and I think its tri-service) do for guards and these days come new via the stores system. It comes in the same style box as the RN's leather soled Officers parade shoe. The actual boot isn't marked with a manufacturers mark but mine where made in 2013.View attachment 616648
Same as mine.

I seem to recall they are quite different to the ones from when I joined up. Only the drill pigs had this new type with a toecap.

The rest of us got ones that were made from bobbly leather and had no toecap, in line with other types of RN footwear.

As you say, this new type are tri service, I had these in the HAC, except we bulled the entire boot, not just the toecap.

You seem to be adversely affected by the Internet, I hope you get some medication before you log off and try reality.
Try explaining that ridiculous post please...if you can, at this stage of your evening.

TA does however explain quite a bit already. Airsoft...really?

My experiences with Mess Wellingtons were completely real.

Guessing you have never even seen them.

Last edited:

CC_TA

LE
Try explaining that ridiculous post please...if you can, at this stage of your evening.

TA does however explain quite a bit already. Airsoft...really?

My experiences with Mess Wellingtons were completely real.

Guessing you have never even seen them.
Not sure what's happened here, I don't remember quoting you. Mong/heed fingers at play.

Not sure what's happened here, I don't remember quoting you. Mong/heed fingers at play.
To quote you, perhaps..."You seem to be adversely affected by the Internet, I hope you get some medication before you log off and try reality.”

Might work?

Try it.

'Not sure what happened here’ sounds a bit too much like senility setting in.

Deleting a totally cr*p/Mong post is always an alternative.

Last edited:

Latest Threads