Royal Marines Drill / Ammo Boots

SignalFire

Old-Salt
file-20170802-21522-dv824k.jpg

jinxy

LE
I was lucky my uncle was a cobbler. Treble soled ammo boots. I lent them to a mate in the ATC. The twat moved to Australia and still has them.

I also had to show the soles to a Guards RSM, He aproved.

That I can (partially) answer this Q lets a window into my sad and lonely life that is better left closed,

For many years, they were made 'in house', the bulk of them at a factory at Woolwich Arsenal. Particularly during the war, contracts were let to civilian companies, though I have no idea which ones.

Hence why originals have no other maker's mark than the WD crow's foot - 'W ⩚ D' and the date of manufacturer.

My own pair of ammo boots are 2 years older than I am. And in far, far better condition.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
BRNC had/has a couple of chests full of the things in assorted sizes for issuing to the guard for divisions (and collecting back in afterwards). They were all original. I imagine Lympstone is the same really. They had millions of pairs (literally) of the things at the end of WW2, so kept a few back.

BRNC had/has a couple of chests full of the things in assorted sizes for issuing to the guard for divisions (and collecting back in afterwards). They were all original. I imagine Lympstone is the same really. They had millions of pairs (literally) of the things at the end of WW2, so kept a few back.
I remember those. Great fun when exiting through the side doors to get onto the ramps. Better than roller skates.

Still on the subject of boots. Can anyone remember the name or brand of those fancy black boots that some SNCO's and or officers used to wear with their Mess Kit?

I can't remember whether they were slip on, lace up, or zip up boots, but they looked smarter that the standard bulled black army shoes.

TIA

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Still on the subject of boots. Can anyone remember the name or brand of those fancy black boots that some SNCO's and or officers used to wear with their Mess Kit?

I can't remember whether they were slip on, lace up, or zip up boots, but they looked smarter that the standard bulled black army shoes.

TIA
I think you may be referring to "George Boots."

I think you may be referring to "George Boots."
That'll be the ones. Just googled them, lots on ebay and on tinterweb etc for around £40.00 to £60.00. Some look like knock off copies, but the genuine originals cost £200.00 upwards. Thank you kindly Sir:salut::salut:

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
That'll be the ones. Just googled them, lots on ebay and on tinterweb etc for around £40.00 to £60.00. Some look like knock off copies, but the genuine originals cost £200.00 upwards. Thank you kindly Sir:salut::salut:
My old man bought me a pair on my promotion to Sgt. If I was going to stand him a drink in his mess, I'd need to look the part.

They were very comfortable boots and like you say, they polished up a treat.

Latest Threads