Royal Marines destroy pirate vessel

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Nov 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. shiver me timbers ;-)
  3. WTF???? Don't pirates have human rights ? what has this land of hope and glory, mother of the free country come to? Why I can remember that only a few years ago a load a load of Afghanis hi-jacked an airliner, threatened to blow it up and kill all on board and forced the crew to fly it to the UK. We are still paying for some of them and their families to stay in hotels because of human rights issues.
  4. LOL

There is an image in my mind, where Mrs Chandler, a former Somali pirate hostage is surrounded by a group of men, with one clutching a AK47 aimed at the back of the hostage. I can't help but wonder if the pirate would look so hard if instead of an unarmed hostage, he was looking at the business end of a fully 'togged' up Royal Marine out for a days sport.
  5. hahaha now i would pay to see the startled look on his face.
  6. are they really snipers if they are using machine guns, sounds like fun but i thought it would be a well placed COD style shot to the engine or something uberally like that
  7. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Specially selected RM snipers are formed up as MST Maritime Sniper Teams and deploy with certain units to provide overwatch, engine killing etc. They use various weapons, one of which is the M3M .50 Cal. Obviously weapon choice will be mission dependant. In this case heavy fire power needed.
  8. It can't be easy "sniping" from a helicopter, but great news, maybe the lads have been given orders by a politician who isn't a member of the SWP.
  9. Looking at that picture the safest place would have been inside the boat. Snipers !!!! (I know, it was from a helicopter) ; - )
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The report reads as if the boat was empty. I think if had had people onboard this would not have happened (unless they fired at the helicopter first). Boat easily replaced I should think.
  11. The accuracy displayed helps demonstrate the naivety of any ideas of incapacitating pirates or their boat (especially one that's moving) when human shields are involved.
  12. My brother, a Scots Guardsman, survived his course to be a sniper. He trained with the Marines, and thought them awesome, and good guys.

He never learns bless him, and when I told him of this event he sniggered, though I suspect he was jealous.