Royal Marine Reserve - no green berets to be seen

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by 2/51, Jul 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Twas noticable that the Royal Marine Reserve chaps in the JRC after the Armed Forces Parade were all sporting dark blue berets with the red plastc backing behind their badge. Despite that, a couple of them were JNCO's.

How does that work? If they are not Commando qualified, how do they get promoted?

2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

You sure they weren't NODS from CTCRM ?

3. Sure they were RMR and not RM Band Service ?

4. Sounds like bandy's or cadets?

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Band wear green berets even though not Cdo Trained.

6. Not the guys I saw 2 weeks ago down HMS Nelson

The Green Beret is only worn by qualified commando personnel

7. Thought you had to successfully complete RM/AA Commando course to be given green beret?

8. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Must have changed then.
    When I did my course there was bandy Cpl on it. For some reason, I can't remember why, he was transfering from the band.
    Rather than the full RM recruits course they said the had to do the All Arms Course.

9. Not changed, just never been the case.

10. Nope its not changed since i can remember, the only exception was lads going to the band due to med downgrades.
    Just out of interest were there any Bootnecks on the course?

11. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

How come a bandy Cpl had one in 1974 then?
    It was odd, & as you can imagine caused lots of discussion but so long ago I can't remember much more.

12. We have a RMR unit at the barracks but we do not see much of them at all. If they were bandsmen they did a crap job, as there was no RM band playing..lol.

There were also half a dozen or so bods in No. 1s with a few gongs between them, but they jumped into a mini bus and dissapeared after the parade, I have a feeling they were up from 45 commando at Condor, Arbroath.

Presumably you would not keep a rank if you had transferred from Ta to RMR?

13. Because he passed the course and then swapped over to the band ? If this is the same guy having to do the AA course you mentioned before maybe it was the terms of his conditions?

He may of went through Lympstone to join the band and opted to do the whole course rather than nip off when the phys got too tough, few years and ranks later wants to go over to the green side but the staff say "sorry mate, you may of been fit and keen enough when you were 18, but now you are a non-com bandy with a fat arse. Do well on the AACC and then we will consider it"

He would do the AA course over the full Marines training as the Cdo elements are incorporated within the basic training package which he has already done.

14. Another option is the RM Cadet Service, if they had any 16-18 yr olds then its highly possible, they even have their own shoulder titles.

15. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

As I said wellyhead I can't remember why he was changing. I can't remember what trade he was going to do. I know we had big discussions about whether he would keep his rank when he transferred but I don't remember any of the Bootie instructors being involved in that. We also queried his beret & he said he had a green one as he was in the band. I can't remember every seeing it though, cap comforters being de rigueur, & of course at the end where we Pongos only had to sign for our berets, all RN had to purchase.