Royal Marine recurit to Army Reservist

Evening all,
As you can probably tell from the title I am currently in Marine training at CTC. I'm on summer leave at the moment and on returning I'll have a couple of weeks and I'll have passed phase 1. I'm absolutely loving the training and really do no want to Jack however family issues with partner and little one look like they could be forcing my hand! Incase worse comes to worse I'm trying to look up back up plans which leads me to reserves. My nearest RMR is to far so I'm looking at Army with my local unit being he Royal Yeomanry. So the questions is has anyone any experience of this unit and does anyone know if my 15 weeks of training would be at all transferable?

mrboo

Old-Salt
There was a lad in the reserve unit I was in .He was RM reserve but they shut the unit down so he joined the army reserve . As far as I remember he had to go through army selection .

Bee Companeeee

Old-Salt
Evening all,
As you can probably tell from the title I am currently in Marine training at CTC. I'm on summer leave at the moment and on returning I'll have a couple of weeks and I'll have passed phase 1. I'm absolutely loving the training and really do no want to Jack however family issues with partner and little one look like they could be forcing my hand! Incase worse comes to worse I'm trying to look up back up plans which leads me to reserves. My nearest RMR is to far so I'm looking at Army with my local unit being he Royal Yeomanry. So the questions is has anyone any experience of this unit and does anyone know if my 15 weeks of training would be at all transferable?
Many years ago I remember a Fusiler under training at The Queen's Div Depot reached week 14, jacked it and transferred to the TA and went straight into the 2 week TA recruits cadre run at the depot, the following Monday.

Faded

Clanker
PM sent.

As you will have not completed recruit training and will be be going to a different service,you will have to complete reserve recruit training. You may or may not have to do selection.

Your best bet is to speak to your nearest AR unit - better yet go in and visit them - and they will advise the best course of action. You shouldn't have to go anywhere near the NRC or redo selection though you will have to be re-attested. As long as the admin staff know your details and last day of service they can pick up your RM JPA record and just rehire you. You should also get a waiver for Phase 1 training, or at the very least a part of it.

[QUOTE="brewmeister, post: 9449771, member You should also get a waiver for Phase 1 training, or at the very least a part of it.
[/QUOTE]
Not in my experience.
I trained plenty of AR recruits. Anyone who did not complete regular recruit training had to complete phase one Alpha and Bravo. And then do CIC for infantry. That included all the former RMR, of which there were a lot, and at least two that had dropped out of Lympstone.
Incidentally, the Lympstone Two were both utter bellends. We, as instructors, were not impressed with either. Fit lads, but lacking in military skills and humility.

Bin the family, they’ll only hold you back from the objective, becoming a steely eyed, deliverer of death

Speak to your CoC why chuck it away now, may be welfare can help you, ask you're Troop Commander.
Let them know the situation and they will help you, you might regret it later as you are throwing away a good career and you will still need a job if you go Army Reserves. Stick with it and see welfare.

Speak to your CoC why chuck it away now, may be welfare can help you, ask you're Troop Commander.
Let them know the situation and they will help you, you might regret it later as you are throwing away a good career and you will still need a job if you go Army Reserves. Stick with it and see welfare.
Sound advice, give this a go first before you decide to pop smoke.

My Troop commander was aware of the situation and the plan was to try square things up at home over summer leave. Unfortunately things havent worked out like that. Looks like I'll be handing my chit in on return and then starting to look into my options. Out of interest does anyone know if Army reserves can do the All Arms Commando course?

My Troop commander was aware of the situation and the plan was to try square things up at home over summer leave. Unfortunately things havent worked out like that. Looks like I'll be handing my chit in on return and then starting to look into my options. Out of interest does anyone know if Army reserves can do the All Arms Commando course?
As far as I know,only if the unit has a Commando role. And I think all those units are down south.

I’ve seen guys who put their chits in then took them out again as nods at CTC coming to the end of their careers as ninja underwater knife fighters. It occurs to everyone that they could be somewhere else other than Lympschwitz at some stage

Personal problems rarely dissipate by giving up. You will just have missed the opportunity of a lifetime and will forever be the sad sack telling everyone you could have been a Royal Marine if it wasn’t for the pesky family.

Holdfast, talk to the sky pilot there may be some wiggle room, get ashore with the blokes, get drunk, work out what the family problem really is. Draw up a list of pros and cons.

Then ******* get on with it. Your family will thank you for it in the long run.

Once you’ve got your green hat reassess

So basically the partner wants him to throw away stable employment with a good pension for what?
More time with ms clingy, the selfish one, a dead end job and the odd weekend with the reserves.
Seems some one does not want to share him, ditch the bitch and get a real job with the RM Commando's

So basically the partner wants him to throw away stable employment with a good pension for what?
More time with ms clingy, the selfish one, a dead end job and the odd weekend with the reserves.
Seems some one does not want to share him, ditch the bitch and get a real job with the RM Commando's
How many times have we seen lads get out because of the whining wife/girlfriend?

oppoStu

War Hero
Literally going through a similar mindset at the moment, but at the end of the day, the army was and probably still is the dream.

Don't change your dream for anyone, the person you are with will understand that if they truly love ya.

If its a much more personal problem than just the classic 'ms clingy' then family first fair enough, but why not just sort out your affairs at home first and then re-join later once the dust has settled?

Last edited:
I remember back in 1999 there was a guy in my training party who was going to have his first posting to a TA centre near where he lived, because of some issues that came up for him during training.

No idea if they are this flexible/accommodating now, but as others say - speak your CoC first and explain the situation and let them advise you. I wouldn't bin your career off just because of a women though - I suspect it'll only lead to resentment further down the line, possibly even towards your kid as well.

What he said.

Have you had the old 'it's the RM or me chat', then? If so, the only piece of advice I can give is to think very, very carefully about exactly what you want to do here. What will happen if you leave in an attempt to fix things but it doesn't work? You will have given up your career for what, exactly? What will you do if you leave, join the AR and you then get the same chat? I guess what I am saying is do not act in haste and repent at leisure, but good luck in whatever you decide to do. The only consolation is that you are most definitely not the first who has found themselves in this position.

Edited for grammar.

Latest Threads