Royal Marine receives Conspicuous Gallantry Cross

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rumrunner, Mar 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Royal Marine receives Conspicuous Gallantry Cross
    23 Mar 06
    Colour Sergeant Matthew Tomlinson receives the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross in the Operational Honours List announced on 24 March 2006

Colour Sergeant Tomlinson was commanding a US Marine Corps assault force on the Euphrates River near Fallujah in November 2004 when they came under fire from a numerically superior and well-defended enemy position. His decision to turn his lead craft towards the attack created an element of surprise, which unhinged the enemy. He was first on the river bank and he engaged in close quarter battle, enabling his men to encircle the enemy.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/RoyalMarineReceivesConspicuousGallantryCross.htm

I have had a look at the sister site “The Royals” but couldn’t find any mention of this award. For myself, I find this of particular interest as it would appear Colour Sergeant Matthew Tomlinson was on exchange with the Americans at the time of the incident. I hope it is OK to post it here?

Well done Colour.

2. Great story. Wonder if the USMC recomended him for a US decoration ?

3. I would like to think so, reading his citation, he is without a doubt a credit to The Royal Marines and his Country. Being a “Deal Boy,” he has my vote!
    :mrgreen:

4. Yes kudos to the C/Sgt.

However, am I alone in wondering who writes medal citations?

He "unhinged" the enemy by aiming an amphibious vehicle at them? Come on, they could do better than that. After all, this bootie now has these words hanging up on the downstairs loo wall for eternity now.

5. Stacks of smoke and straight up the middle!!

Get in there!!

theGimp

6. So I am sat in my 'well-defended' site lopping off a few at a bunch of infidels who had invaded my country. Warm and cosy wiv me mates - easy targets that lot.

Suddenly, this scrote runs straight at us, guns and God knows what blazing away at us - I think I might just become a little unhinged meself. I mean, who in their right mind would come straight at us well-defended thugs – no-one else does this to us here – they’re all too scared of us. Besides, the extortion racket keeps them all in line.

No, this is something I don’t often encounter – someone prepared to come at us shooting. Unhinged? You bet!

On a serious note - there was some heavy metal dispensed yesterday to a bunch of very brave Servicemen. I am proud to have served in the British Armed Forces, and the displays of bravery shown daily in the conflict spots around the globe reinforces the view that ours is the best in the world.

Congratulations to the award-winners from a very humble ex-light blue.

• Like Like x 1