Royal Marine reads ARRSE thread gets arrested by Yanks

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
It would appear that a Young Marine may have read this thread and as such has got into trouble with our American cousins.
https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNE94GISsqYT0G2k6gZZKeLOy-Fypg

Sorry mate it was only meant to be a joke.(although it's tempting)

A British Marine has been questioned by police on suspicion he was travelling to fight with Kurdish militias in Syria and Iraq during time off work.
The 22-year-old is in the Royal Marine Commandos and was quizzed as he prepared to fly from California on a one-way ticket to Turkey.
He is suspected of planning to join Kurdish forces fighting Islamic State militants.
The Marine is understood to have been due to go on leave, but it is unclear whether he was planning to return to his regiment after fighting for the Kurds.
US officials said he was believed to have been in online contact with a Kurdish group that has links in Turkey and the Kurdish frontline city of Irbil – the headquarters of Peshmerga units leading the fight against IS.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2805643/Royal-Marine-held-takes-holiday-trip-fight-against-Commando-quizzed-claims-planning-join-Kurdish-forces.html#ixzz3H2259eXD
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

philc

LE
Odd one, its his leave I guess its up to him what he does.

A few Dutch and Germans from biker gangs have gone over for a spot of battle training as well, they will soon have their own foreign battalion.

Odd one, its his leave I guess its up to him what he does.

A few Dutch and Germans from biker gangs have gone over for a spot of battle training as well, they will soon have their own foreign battalion.

From a moralistic viewpoint, how can anyone condone this (alleged) behaviour whilst at the same time condemning British IS jihadis?

Combat tourist? Loads of examples of it in FYR in the early 90's.

I wonder if there is a stigma to having NOT been in combat these days, given recent operations? (Stigma maybe not the right word, but you know what i mean)

Or is the lad in question simply of Turkish origin?

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
Although I clearly hope the people of Syria and Iraq give IS a severe kicking, I don't think much good will come from allowing vigilante groups from Europe to travel over there in support of groups like the YPG. There will be some unhealthy connections being made.

Watching European biker gangs, with a reputation for gun running and not caring about who they sell them to, makes me feel uneasy.

From a moralistic viewpoint, how can anyone condone this (alleged) behaviour whilst at the same time condemning British IS jihadis?

I've got no problem with it. Lived and worked with Kurds up till 2013 and appreciate their character and plight

With out going into indepth socio geo political background intracies I know **** all about they are the underdogs and are holding up their end against ISIS

And we bailed on them after GW1

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
The title of this thread is factually incorrect.

Oyibo

LE

Peshmerger do not chop off heads with penknives for minor disagreements?

RM Rambo had balls at least but their mental state might need looking at!!
I know the marine spirit goes along way but this is just a tad ott even for a royal!!!!

One lot are a bunch of evil cnuts who disembowel pregnant women for shit and giggles and the othet lot are defending their homes.
I see no moralistic problems.

One lot are a bunch of evil ***** who disembowel pregnant women for shit and giggles and the othet lot are defending their homes.
I see no moralistic problems.

I would agree with you, however, PKK are officially a terrorist organisation, so picking sides with one terrorist organisation over another is still morally questionable. Perhaps it's time to do with the PKK what we did with the Taliban and other mujahideen in Afghanistan in the 90s and start supporting them.

I would agree with you, however, PKK are officially a terrorist organisation, so picking sides with one terrorist organisation over another is still morally questionable. Perhaps it's time to do with the PKK what we did with the Taliban and other mujahideen in Afghanistan in the 90s and start supporting them.
Legally wrong doesn't necessarily equal morally wrong.

Legally wrong doesn't necessarily equal morally wrong.

I would tend to agree with that, however, if the PKK are a terrorist organisation (as opposed to just being labelled as one by various international bodies) then siding with them legitimises their behaviour and condones their actions, which is a perilous path to tread.

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'd fully understand if he'd been based at Faslane. Starvation rations and the ever-present risk of starring in an ISIS home video are a lot more fun than the Babcock internment camp.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Interesting question, the same action by individuals on opposing sides of a conflict.
Were foreign volunteers to the Allies WWII morally superior to volunteers in the German forces ?

He's back at Arbroath waiting to find out his fate.

They'd just been on a month long exercise with the septics in California, am guessing he won't be getting his lance jack this year

Hmmm. Arbroath v Aleppo.
I think I can see how his mind was working

Latest Threads