Royal Marine hurls himself onto Taliban grenade

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Skynet, Mar 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times March 30, 2008

Croucher hurls himself onto Taliban grenade

One man’s heroism saved the lives of his patrol – and left him with nothing more than a bloody noseStephen Grey in Helmand
    A Royal Marine in southern Afghanistan threw himself onto an exploding grenade to save the lives of his patrol.

Miraculously, Lance Corporal Matt Croucher, a marine reservist from Birmingham, survived the blast with little injury when his rucksack and body armour took the force of the blast. He is expected to receive one of the highest awards for gallantry.

The story of his courage emerged last week in interviews with marines occupying a forward operating base near Sangin in Helmand province. They are preparing to leave after serving for six months at the centre of some of the fiercest fighting in Afghanistan. The outpost, Forward Operating Base Inkerman, is better known to troops as "FOB Incoming".

Croucher's action occurred just before dawn on February 9, as the reconnaissance troop from 40 Commando, operating to the south of Sangin, was searching a compound it suspected was being used for making bombs to attack British and Afghan troops.

Walking in the darkness among a group of four men, Croucher stepped into a tripwire that pulled the pin from a boobytrap grenade. His patrol commander, Corporal Adam Lesley, remembered Croucher's shout of: "Grenade!"
    Much more on the link
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article3646243.ece

2. VC me thinks.

3. A hero indeed.

I remember a US Marine doing this a year or so ago, he saved the lives of 3 or 4 of him comrades but made the ultimate sacrifice and lost his own life.

4. That might lessen the snipes at part time soldiers and servicemen.

5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

If that is not deserving of a VC then there is no justice.

6. Bloody Hell!

Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

In this instance fate decided that the life offered wasn't to be taken. LCpl Croucher is a hero indeed.

Edited to add:

After reading the full article, I think Sgt Liepa also deserves a medal as probably do numerous others: "Such has been the ferocity of the fight 40 Commando has endured these past few months, this has been one remarkable incident among many," said one senior Royal Marines officer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. And a good talking to for being very very silly.

Total and utter selfless courage, indeed a VC surely

8. Brave/Mad fcuker! Well done that man.

9. A regular wouldn’t have set the trip wire off in the first place :p (only joking)

The utmost respect to a man who was prepared to deliberatly lay down his life to protect his mates. He deserves the highest recognition

10. What a bloke.VC is a definate.Got to be.

11. Jesus what did he have in his daysack????

You can only imagine what goes through someones mind in those split seconds before acting like that.

"I hope I packed my copy of war and peace" would be one of mine.

Brave c-unt, hats off to him.

12. A Bombay call centre in his name?

If I saw a grenade the last thing i would do is jump on it. I honestly think my IA would be (if getting away wasn't an option) would be to throw the smallest man on it :D

No time to think, no sense of self preservation, heroism and lunacy in the extreme. Gong him up! then charge him for being daft

13. A genuine hero. Take note you Z list "celebs" who think you're something.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Obviously being a Brummie & that early in the morning he was still pissed from the night before. :twisted:

From a fellow Brummie, WELL DONE THAT MAN, gong or no gong you've done us Brummies proud. (Even if you were still pissed) :) :) :)

15. What a HERO, This is what Britain is about