• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Royal Marine : Commando Course

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
My careers advisor was talking options over with me, sort of possible future career advancements e.t.c. He metioned that I could do the commando course at some point through my career. I didn't have time to ask in depth questions about it, as there were more important things to do, but to those that have done the course from the British Army, was does it entitle you to if you do pass it?

Are there any new possibilities that open up?

Thanks,
 
#3
The_Rattler said:
Get a trade first then go commando/para/SF or KP
I don't quite follow.

I'm starting phase 1 with the Parachute Reg soon. I should've probably said that in the original post, I'm only asking purely out of curiousity. How would passing the commando affect a P Reg soldier in the future?

Thanks,
 
#6
Check23 said:
The_Rattler said:
Get a trade first then go commando/para/SF or KP
I don't quite follow.

I'm starting phase 1 with the Parachute Reg soon. I should've probably said that in the original post, I'm only asking purely out of curiousity. How would passing the commando affect a P Reg soldier in the future?

Thanks,
Well for a start, I don't think you should mention that you want to be a marine, within earshot of the Depot Staff!

It would entitle you to a few extra beastings! :D :D
 
#7
portshort-starboardlong said:
Check23 said:
The_Rattler said:
Get a trade first then go commando/para/SF or KP
I don't quite follow.

I'm starting phase 1 with the Parachute Reg soon. I should've probably said that in the original post, I'm only asking purely out of curiousity. How would passing the commando affect a P Reg soldier in the future?

Thanks,
Well for a start, I don't think you should mention that you want to be a marine, within earshot of the Depot Staff!

It would entitle you to a few extra beastings! :D :D
Dont be silly. Discussing it with them makes sense. Its his career after all...
 
#8
portshort-starboardlong said:
Well for a start, I don't think you should mention that you want to be a marine, within earshot of the Depot Staff!

It would entitle you to a few extra beastings! :D :D
Ok, all I am doing is researching options, what is open to me, what people have done e.t.c. If I had wanted to persue a career in the Navy I would have done. (Nothing wrong with it whatsoever.) I havn't said at all I want to be a Royal Marine, I was just told about the course and am finding out what options open up if someone was to pass the course.

All I wanted to know is how the job role changes if it does at all, this is not the only thing I am reading up on, as there are thousands of things to do. I am bored with months to go until I start, I have a genuine interest in the Army and the Parachute Reg and I don't see whats wrong with finding and educating myself with things directly linked with the infantry.
 
#9
Mate, my opinion is that, if you get in para reg, then commando course will not open any extra doors for you.

The courses are broadly on a par and so will open similar kinds of opportunities.

Some people will do both. In a corps like the engineers or the logistics, there may be some advantage of doing both all arms courses- they will qualify you to serve in parachute and commando roled engineer or logisics units.

However, for a para, I can't imagine you would want to go and serve in a commando unit. If for some special reason you were going to it would be for such a special reason that reason would come first. I'm sure there's paras out there that have done the commando course, but I'm pretty sure they were doing it for the fun rather than career advancement.

And as for the last paragraph, i.e. the one applicable to what you seem to be interested in, that's so far off in the future and unlikely an occurance as to be something to not bother thinking about. Or asking people's opinions here.
 
#10
Jelly_Fish said:
Mate, my opinion is that, if you get in para reg, then commando course will not open any extra doors for you.

The courses are broadly on a par and so will open similar kinds of opportunities.

Some people will do both. In a corps like the engineers or the logistics, there may be some advantage of doing both all arms courses- they will qualify you to serve in parachute and commando roled engineer or logisics units.

However, for a para, I can't imagine you would want to go and serve in a commando unit. If for some special reason you were going to it would be for such a special reason that reason would come first. I'm sure there's paras out there that have done the commando course, but I'm pretty sure they were doing it for the fun rather than career advancement.

And as for the last paragraph, i.e. the one applicable to what you seem to be interested in, that's so far off in the future and unlikely an occurance as to be something to not bother thinking about. Or asking people's opinions here.
Ok, I understand.

Cheers.
 
#11
Detonator said:
portshort-starboardlong said:
Check23 said:
The_Rattler said:
Get a trade first then go commando/para/SF or KP
I don't quite follow.

I'm starting phase 1 with the Parachute Reg soon. I should've probably said that in the original post, I'm only asking purely out of curiousity. How would passing the commando affect a P Reg soldier in the future?

Thanks,
Well for a start, I don't think you should mention that you want to be a marine, within earshot of the Depot Staff!

It would entitle you to a few extra beastings! :D :D
Dont be silly. Discussing it with them makes sense. Its his career after all...
Yes, It is his career and at this stage he's curious. That's fair enough!

However, In the unlikely event that this man actually passes Para recruit Training. I would like to hear him ask the same question then! 8)
 
#12
portshort-starboardlong said:
However, In the unlikely event that this man actually passes Para recruit Training. I would like to hear him ask the same question then! 8)
Sorry If I offended you*.

Not sure what I have said wrong, but not to worry, I'll be sure never to ask any more questions or queries. I'll also make sure that I know pretty much everything there is to know on any subject, just in case something like this could potentially happen again.

* Perhaps a sticky should be put on the forums to let those who are not in the army currently know what they are and are not allowed to say.
 
#13
Check23 said:
portshort-starboardlong said:
However, In the unlikely event that this man actually passes Para recruit Training. I would like to hear him ask the same question then! 8)
Sorry If I offended you*.

Not sure what I have said wrong, but not to worry, I'll be sure never to ask any more questions or queries. I'll also make sure that I know pretty much everything there is to know on any subject, just in case something like this could potentially happen again.

* Perhaps a sticky should be put on the forums to let those who are not in the army currently know what they are and are not allowed to say.
You haven't offended me in any way at all mate! :D

A friendly word of advice.............

If you get to Para Recruit Training, shut your mouth, don't be clever or smarmy, save your breath for the fitness.
You're going to need it!

If you pass, I'll be the very first to congratulate you! 8) You will then become a lifelong member of a very elite club!

If you fail, and there's more chance of you doing that than passing, purely on statistics of course, nothing to do with you as I don't know you.
Then I will not congratulate you!
You will then become a member any club you like, but not the one mentioned above! :cry:
 
#14
Failing P Coy is a dissapointment - not a disgrace. There are many fine infantry regiments out there and they don't need wings to tell them how good they are. Watch Ross Kemp in Afghanistan for an idea, or read any book about the PWRR in Iraq.

Apart from that, good luck and as mentioned above - save your breath for P Coy - you will need it when breathing out of your ar5e! (common expression for when taking in oxygen by any orifice when on your last legs! :) )
 
#15
portshort-starboardlong said:
Detonator said:
portshort-starboardlong said:
Check23 said:
The_Rattler said:
Get a trade first then go commando/para/SF or KP
I don't quite follow.

I'm starting phase 1 with the Parachute Reg soon. I should've probably said that in the original post, I'm only asking purely out of curiousity. How would passing the commando affect a P Reg soldier in the future?

Thanks,
Well for a start, I don't think you should mention that you want to be a marine, within earshot of the Depot Staff!

It would entitle you to a few extra beastings! :D :D
Dont be silly. Discussing it with them makes sense. Its his career after all...
Yes, It is his career and at this stage he's curious. That's fair enough!

However, In the unlikely event that this man actually passes Para recruit Training. I would like to hear him ask the same question then! 8)
That was supposed to be humourous. I had this cracking image of the immediate aftermath! 8O
 
#16
portshort-starboardlong said:
A friendly word of advice.............

If you get to Para Recruit Training ...

If you pass, I'll be the very first to congratulate you! 8) You will then become a lifelong member of a very elite club!

If you fail, and there's more chance of you doing that than passing, purely on statistics of course, nothing to do with you as I don't know you.
Then I will not congratulate you!
You will then become a member any club you like, but not the one mentioned above! :cry:
P-S, Perhaps, but anyone having a crack at P Coy, RM Cdo training or AACC surely deserves a pat on the back for giving it a go. :D
 
#17
HarryBosch said:
portshort-starboardlong said:
A friendly word of advice.............

If you get to Para Recruit Training ...

If you pass, I'll be the very first to congratulate you! 8) You will then become a lifelong member of a very elite club!

If you fail, and there's more chance of you doing that than passing, purely on statistics of course, nothing to do with you as I don't know you.
Then I will not congratulate you!
You will then become a member any club you like, but not the one mentioned above! :cry:
P-S, Perhaps, but anyone having a crack at P Coy, RM Cdo training or AACC surely deserves a pat on the back for giving it a go. :D
Sorry don't agree,

Patting somebody on the back for having a go at the course, is like rewarding failure. It encourages those that are not up to it. They in turn waste peoples time by being dreamers!

Patting someone on the back should be reserved for those that Pass these courses!
 
#18
portshort-starboardlong said:
Patting somebody on the back for having a go at the course, is like rewarding failure. It encourages those that are not up to it. They in turn waste peoples time by being dreamers!

Patting someone on the back should be reserved for those that Pass these courses!
Nice one. Sure thats reassuring for anyone who's taken a tumble off the trainasium. There were a few guys Paralysed before the nets were put up I believe. Were they not up to it or just unlucky? I very much doubt they passed in any case.
 
#19
spaz said:
portshort-starboardlong said:
Patting somebody on the back for having a go at the course, is like rewarding failure. It encourages those that are not up to it. They in turn waste peoples time by being dreamers!

Patting someone on the back should be reserved for those that Pass these courses!
Nice one. Sure thats reassuring for anyone who's taken a tumble off the trainasium. There were a few guys Paralysed before the nets were put up I believe. Were they not up to it or just unlucky? I very much doubt they passed in any case.
And Who were these people? I think you're just starting rumours or perpetuating them.

As an ex instructor there, I've never seen anyone, or heard a TRUE account of anyone falling off the top.

Someones having you on pal! A few broken legs here & there is par for the course.

The strong shall live & the Weak will perish. 8)

If you want to pat people on the back for failure, go on a reality TV programme. Not the Parachute Regiment!
 
#20
portshort-starboardlong said:
And Who were these people? I think you're just starting rumours or perpetuating them.
Baby para took a dive off the top of the shuffle bars in Jan 98.

I saw a guy slip off the illusion jump land on his face and chest on the landing plank, then fall backwards on to the deck. Then another lad's shin snapped as he performed the two footed landing( he had stress fractures that he thought were shinsplints).

I will admit that I read in a book about some chap breaking his back and could well be an exaggeration, written about Para Depot in the 70's I think.

I'm not suggesting you should get a slap on the back for falling off the Trainasium, I just don't think that making a slip qualifies you as a "dreamer".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

New Posts