Royal Mail b@st@rds and junk mail

The Telegraph had a recent article on "junk mail" and a proposal to increase the amount delivered. There are opt-out services (see below) but I am sure it is not in the commercial interest of the Royal Mail to honour this in the long run.

This morning I received two unsolicited leaflets and no addressed post. I will opt out from this "service". However, if I continue to receive junk mail I will be most upset.

I suggest the following collective gesture of disapproval. All junk mailings etc should be "recycled" using the nearest red pillar box. The posties will be as displeased at having to sift through junk mail as we all are. There will be damage to the performance of Royal Mail and more resources will be needed, hitting them in the pocket. Let's recycle this junk! :twisted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/09/njunk09.xml

Waste mountain 'from junk mail'
By Sarah Womack, Social Affairs Correspondent
(Filed: 09/10/2006)

Plans to abolish the limit on the amount of junk mail postmen can deliver to private homes will create mountains of rubbish and significant extra costs for council taxpayers, council leaders say today.

In a letter to Adam Crozier, Royal Mail's chief executive, they express "grave concerns for the council taxpayer and the environment".

They claim that a deal being finalised with the Communication Workers' Union to do away with the three-items-per-week limit on "unaddressed" mailings will cause a massive increase in unwanted deliveries.

Households receive considerably more in the way of unwanted post — flyers, restaurant menus, taxi business cards and free newspapers —delivered by others. Last year Royal Mail delivered 3.3 billion items of unaddressed mail — an increase of 12.5 per cent on 2004.

The move to raise this would increase the 7,000 tons of junk mail that ends up in landfill sites each year, the Local Government Association says.

Its spokesman said the amount of waste generated was already rising at around three per cent a year in volume. That had led to a 15 per cent rise in landfill tax this year and £206 million more in council tax money being spent on collecting and disposing of rubbish in the past 12 months.

The collection and disposal of rubbish was one of the main financial pressures facing local authorities in the coming years.

In his letter, Lord Sandy Bruce-Lockhart, the chairman of the association, said: "I am concerned that the expansion in junk mail will lead to an increase in the amount of paper that is either thrown into landfill or has to be collected in recycling bins.

"This comes at a time when councils are trying to minimise waste, increase recycling and are striving to provide value for money to the taxpayer."

A Royal Mail spokesman said: "Seventy-five per cent of unaddressed mail is delivered by rivals — and if Royal Mail did not deliver then it would be posted by other operators."

Unaddressed mail can be stopped by contacting Opt-Outs, Royal Mail, Kingsmead House, Oxpens Road, Oxford, OX1 1RX. For addressed mail: Mail Preference Service (MPS), Freepost 29, LON 20771, London, W1E 0ZT or call 0845 703 4599.

Wish there was a way for me to opt out here in the 'states. Not only is 90% of the mail I receive junk mail--ads, flyers, coupons, leaflets--but it's by far the bulkiest of the mail I receive, too. Personal correspondence and business correspondence--that mail that I wish to receive or which I need to receive in order to pay the bills--comes in single envelopes of standard size, but it's all mingled in with huge rolled up or folded news flyers from the local grocery store or info about the great deal some jewelry store is offering. :roll: I swear they cost me more in trash can liners, just to accomodate all the CRAP I get...

did you see the story of the welsh postie who gave all the people on his round the opt-out forms? b@stards supsended him then re-instated him in a "un-influential" role, jacked up behind a desk, the residents signed a petition to get him back on their round again. postie revolution required..........

On the subject of Royal Mail:

I sell a few bits on eBay, send 3 items by normal mail, not registered or signed for, they never arrived. I sent another 3 by signed-for, they get there!!. Theiving Ba****ds!!!

Any junk mail simply post it back as not wanted unsolicited , swamp the Royal Mail with this and perhaps just for once we will be listened to

I've used these, works a treat, not had any junk mail for a few years now, also used it for the telephone to stop cold calling, takes about 3 weeks for it to kick in. I told my mum about it and I ended up doing for the whole bloody family, aunties, uncles, cats, dogs!

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

If the Post Office delivered it and you don't want it, simple - post it back in a post box. If the junk mail has your address on it, annotate the envelope 'Return to Sender'.