Royal Logistics Corp Driver

Discussion in 'RLC' started by tankman, Sep 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a real passion for driving and was wondering if any one could tell me that if i joined up the RLC as a driver what I could be expecting to do day to day and on tours.
  2. Is this a wah? I'll bite!

You'll be painting wagons, staging on and sweeping. When you go on tour you'll be doing the same!

You may wish to find another trade in another corps, if your intent on driving, then look at the dual trade of Driver Radio Operator, it pays mores and you get a badge too.
  3. As much as it pains me to say this it would seem Dvr / Tank Transporters do more actual driving. That said as a Dvr 110 (i.e. a standard military driver) there is the opportunity to do a great deal of driving on Operations which you will look to do for six months every two years (allegedly). The opportunity also exists to volunteer to backfill other Regiments, pretty much as often as you want.
  4. Cheers guys, so would you say the the Logistics is a boring place to be then.
  5. Not really. You will be committed to every operation going and will get some useful civvy quals. It depends on what you actually want to do in the army. For a decent view of life as an army driver, and as a tank transporter take a look at my site for a better idea of what to expect.
    In tank transporting there are very few od them left as the army is trying to civilianise the job, it is dammed hard work and you will live and sleep in your cab for almost an entire tour length. You will however get to work with everybody, inf, armour, artillery and find yourself far in front of many of those who label you a REMF.
  6. If you do join as a driver, you could also apply to be posted to 11 EOD Regt, where you will do the 'blue lights' course, and drive bomb vans around at speed under emergency lights and sirens and respond to bomb calls. You will also be taught how to drive the wheelbarrow, and will assist ATOs in dealing with bombs and blowing stuff up! 8)

If I was a driver, I would definately apply for 11 Regt as you would get to live out your boy-racer fantasies and blow up cars and stuff legally! :)
  7. As you move up the rank scale you will think of new and interesting ways to stop other Corps and Arms from being able to drive the vehicles they hold. Just as we jump through the hoops you invent another one. Thus ensuring that at any time 20% of a unit is unable to deploy because you say it can't drive. Usually these hoops are in the name of road safety but a look at the annual road safety figures the MOD will reveal that the most dangerous thing on the road is 17-24 year old LCpl-Pte in a DROPS. So another well done to the professional drivers of the RLC.

Before you have a go at me in person, have a go at disproving my arguments.
  8. Are you for real?????????

But challenge taken anyway..................

When you say 'you', I take it you mean the RLC?

Surely most units now are being staffed by younger drivers who don't have 'grandfather rights' on their licences so are unfortunately not able to drive vehicles with trailers or minibuses etc. I think you'll find this is one of the biggest reasons why units can't deploy all their vehicles.

It is not the RLC or Drivers who make up these rules. Infact it's nothing to do with the military at all.

Yes, I agree - 17 yr olds in DROPS are a dangerous entity - And yes, they do have a lot of crashes. But, when you analyse the statistics - those 17yr olds (especially on Ops) drive far more miles than any other 'driver' in the military. If you average it out as 'crashes per mile driven' I think you'll find the RLC Driver trade is pretty good.

20% of your unit can't deploy because, if they're anything like you, they haven't got a clue what they're on about.

9. Then you can transfer to the dark side........... who on earth would ever do such a thing
  10. Then who does make up the rules?

I can play with stats too. Fortuantely chefs aren't rated on number of cases of food poisoning per meals cooked. Nor are doctors rated similarly, or indeed PROFESSIONAL. And professional drivers is what the RLC Driver trade claims to be. Right now my Regiment is about to hold a board of inquiry into why 5 vehicles (3 prime movers and 2 trailers) shunted into each other in a 70kmh zone. A forthe prime mover only avoided the shunt by taking the scenic route through a field. All were driven by RLC professional drivers.

However you are right about a lot of my unit not having a clue!!
  11. Depends on the level of barrel-scraping prevalent at the time. No-one I know has ever made the jump successfully :wink:

thiswayup, now that you're back in work, I'll see you in week's time mate. 8)