Royal Irish

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Scuba_Steve, Apr 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When reading up on the Royal Irish (Which I hope to join) i found they form part of 16 air assault brigade. Is that Paras or...? :?
  2. Yes - it's Airborne. :D
  3. So you have to do the whole jumping out of an aeroplane thing. Good God
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

No you don't.

1 Royal Irish is one of the Air Assault Bns of 16 Bde, not a Para Bn. That said, there are a fair number on their strength who have done P Coy and Para courses.

The last I heard the intention was for an airborne trained Coy, but that is probably out of date now.
  5. An excellent outfit.
  6. Probably sounding stupid here but what does an Air Assault Brigade do then??
  7. The Air Assault Brigade is part of the Army Orbat - originally it was the 7th Brigade sitting outside of the 6 other brigades which form both 1 UK Armd Div and 3 UK Div. The Air Assault Brigade was planned to be a stand alone high readiness asset to provide a quick punch to establish a footprint for follow on forces - in the form of the remaining 6 Brigades.

These days it is used together with all the other formed brigades (1, 4, 7, 12, 19 and 20) and the composite (11 Lt and 52) for normal if current Ops can be called such, tasks that we all do as troops from these formations.

So in sum; pretty much what every other brigade without Armour does - except all on the back of a fag packet.
  8. An amalgamation of 5 Airborne brigade and 24 Airmobile brigade-formed in 1999