Royal Irish Tern Hill Barracks?

Ive been trying to find information on life in the barracks with the Royal Irish in Tern Hill, Shropshire as its my next posting from Phase 2 training. Was wondering what the rooms are like, wifi?, the food, the people, exercises, the area, what is there to do, wake up times and what times you get knocked off on friday. Also the PT. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

You will enjoy Tern Hill & the RIR son. Wake up times are 0945hrs, breakfast at 1000hrs & first parade at 1030hrs. Because of the amount of lads coming over to Norn Iron the whole camp gets every Friday & Monday off. You will only be doing a 3 day week and even then you will be in the cookhouse for 1600hrs every day. The LAD will be a great 1st posting. Good luck.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
You will enjoy Tern Hill & the RIR son. Wake up times are 0945hrs, breakfast at 1000hrs & first parade at 1030hrs. Because of the amount of lads coming over to Norn Iron the whole camp gets every Friday & Monday off. You will only be doing a 3 day week and even then you will be in the cookhouse for 1600hrs every day. The LAD will be a great 1st posting. Good luck.
That's not strictly true is it? I mean the cookhouse at 1600hrs every day. Surely it's 1530 on Thursdays?

You forgot the free light liquid lunches in the Stormy Petrel.

It must have changed since my time there in the late 80`s with 2 Para, because the place was a s**thole and that included `Market Dreadful'!!

Cheers for the info, are the timings the same for everyone? Because im REME, I thought they could be different. Whats the PT like? Local area good for nights out?

some of my mates in 1 Royal Irish are currently in 1RIFLES barracks tonight and they said Tern Hill is a complete sh|t hole compared to the barracks 1RIFLES are in.

i hear they got new carpets fitted while they were in Afghan, while other barracks were rebuilt, unfortunately Tern hill was not.

It must have changed since my time there in the late 80`s with 2 Para, because the place was a s**thole and that included `Market Dreadful'!!

ditto, what a shitehole!..the Lamb disco made the Rose Garden look like the Miss World pageant!

Has it?! When?

I haven't been for .... 3 years but it was MASSIVE each week in Summer. I've since moved away.

When did it go :(
I just had to google that to make sure it is closed. I haven't been past it for a while but it was definitely closed in 2009 and I think it still is.

Local area good for nights out?
Local area great for socials, birmingham is 45 mins and london only 2 hrs by fast train from stafford. There is however a decent curry house in market drayton, although its OOB to squaddies, only officers and sncos allowed. There is no wifi, you will have to subscribe to Shropscom the local provider, dial-up only.

The Stormy has been closed now for well over a year, all the bikers go to Prees Heath instead, never heard of a curry house being out of bounds the time I was there.

As for the Naafi its a Naafi.

Use a dongle for the internet.

You can check out all the good pubs on a Friday afternoon when you do the Friday Frolic, a nice 8 mile tab around the area, if you like PT then you've gone to the right place as they love it, even HQ company get the life beasted out of them every day.

look out for Big Frankie, but you've probably met him by now.

I was there in the late 80s, the provvies bombed it one evening but luckily irish john clocked them and raised the alrm
the blocks were evacuated and the bomb went off without loss of life.
The local town market trumpton is a sorry little place that had most paras banned apart from the lamb
and one or two others. last I heard it was full of boarded up shops and smackheeds
As for the barracks, shite hole on the a41. It was a punishment posting for 2 para. Says it all really

My Battalion was there about 5 years ago, The barracks itself were just about ok, i was Support Company so we were in the newer block (rebuilt after PIRA blew the old one up), The Rifles Company's however were placed in the old blocks and they are really shit!
The NAAFI was pump, just a bar with the usual fags, crisps, shower gel and the fat troll behind it! The Cookhouse was ok, the Camp itself is fairly big and being an old RAF Station has the usual hangers that's full of the QM's Kit and Vehicles. Like most Battalion's fitness is done everyday and being at Ternhill, over the road from camp there are miles and miles of little backroads and lanes that you will be beasted on. The Stormy was great for either fighting in, puking your guts up in or shagging some slag round the back, it was a shit hole but had many a good nights in there, The Paki petrol station just further up the road is a rip off, it stinks in there and you really would not want to buy any of the food!
Market Drayton is full of Chav's who think on a Friday night it's Squaddie bashing time!! Often the local Plod was always on side but we had alot of blokes who got into serious trouble down there! The Chicks are dirty, and love ******* Squaddies, and usually on a Sat Morning you could see them walking out of camp with there clackers full of the Motar Platoon's ****!
Not the best camp we have been in, but it's like anything, it's what you make it! The phone signal was crap, and defo no internet at the time, I'm pretty sure by now they must of done some work to the barracks. Either way, best of luck