Royal Irish Tern Hill Barracks?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Kieran_REME, Jun 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ive been trying to find information on life in the barracks with the Royal Irish in Tern Hill, Shropshire as its my next posting from Phase 2 training. Was wondering what the rooms are like, wifi?, the food, the people, exercises, the area, what is there to do, wake up times and what times you get knocked off on friday. Also the PT. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

2. You will enjoy Tern Hill & the RIR son. Wake up times are 0945hrs, breakfast at 1000hrs & first parade at 1030hrs. Because of the amount of lads coming over to Norn Iron the whole camp gets every Friday & Monday off. You will only be doing a 3 day week and even then you will be in the cookhouse for 1600hrs every day. The LAD will be a great 1st posting. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

That's not strictly true is it? I mean the cookhouse at 1600hrs every day. Surely it's 1530 on Thursdays?

• Like Like x 1
  4. You forgot the free light liquid lunches in the Stormy Petrel.

5. It must have changed since my time there in the late 80`s with 2 Para, because the place was a s**thole and that included `Market Dreadful'!!

6. Cheers for the info, are the timings the same for everyone? Because im REME, I thought they could be different. Whats the PT like? Local area good for nights out?

7. If you are into bikes the Stormy has a big meet each week.

8. some of my mates in 1 Royal Irish are currently in 1RIFLES barracks tonight and they said Tern Hill is a complete sh|t hole compared to the barracks 1RIFLES are in.

i hear they got new carpets fitted while they were in Afghan, while other barracks were rebuilt, unfortunately Tern hill was not.

9. What even though it's closed down?

10. Has it?! When?

I haven't been for .... 3 years but it was MASSIVE each week in Summer. I've since moved away.

When did it go :(

11. ditto, what a shitehole!..the Lamb disco made the Rose Garden look like the Miss World pageant!

12. I thought it was just a rotary training site with an inf bn there just to do the occasional FOD plod.

13. I just had to google that to make sure it is closed. I haven't been past it for a while but it was definitely closed in 2009 and I think it still is.

14. Yeah i have heard it isnt the nicest of barracks but just wondering how things work round there and the local area. Heard ill be in a 4 man room

15. Local area great for socials, birmingham is 45 mins and london only 2 hrs by fast train from stafford. There is however a decent curry house in market drayton, although its OOB to squaddies, only officers and sncos allowed. There is no wifi, you will have to subscribe to Shropscom the local provider, dial-up only.