Royal Irish Regiment

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by dustydog, Jun 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What do you lads think about the R IRISH,I'm fixed between going for them or the Royal Marines.Any advice ???

2. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Dont be so fuckin stupid. Marines

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Royal Irish have a very good reputation. Anyone I have spoken to rates them very highly. Give one of Capt Doug Beattie's books a read. Both An Ordinary Soldier and Taskforce Helmand are great reads. Depends on what you want to do at the end of the day.

4. RIR SuTs train with Scots Div at ITC, great bunch of lads.

5. HHH

HHH LE

I thought you were joining the TA (2RIR) ?

6. Yeah for a few years and it should let me see if it's for me.

7. There is also a Royal Marine Reserve detachment you could join in NI if you wanted to stick with the RM

8. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Oooooops. Just realised where this is posted. Still the Marines, but good luck wherever you end up. With the Marines you get to be in the Navy only with a proper uniform, you have to buy your own ipod.

9. HHH

HHH LE

OK, All the best for your future whatever your choice.

10. Stick with RIR as your post puts the RM as an afterthought, so really your mind is already made up.

11. Cheers everybody for your advice.

12. My squadron (63 squadron) played enemy (Coe for) for the royal Irish on ex Askari thunder in Kenya. Every attack we had with any of the company's, we took half of the company out. Bearing in mind we only had two sections defending a enemy post. But other than that, they are a good bunch of lads! I wouldn't say there ally at the best of times.

13. Because they are in 16AA bde I would have thought they are a bit above average?

14. Or maybe the RLC are more elite than people think.