Royal Irish homecoming parade

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by frankie, Oct 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Parade Link

Excellent to see the lads of 1 R IRISH back home. Enjoy the support of the local people and congrats on an excellent tour.

2. Faugh a Ballagh!
  3. I may be wrong [no change there then] but I think there is also a parade for them in Banbridge this weekend. Hope it is well supported.
  4. This probably should go in the military history thread but I just wondered if this regiment is related to the Royal Irish Rifles and the Royal Ulster Rifles. My Grandad joined the 8th Royal Irish Rifles in 1886 aged 14 and served during the Boer War being taken prisoner after the Battle of Stormberg. He re-enlisted for the First World War and served in Galliopoli and Salonika.

My Father joined the Royal Ulster Rifles in 1924 until 1937. Then re-enlisted in 1939.

Interesting to think that they are still going if possibly with a changed name. Well done them!

It's on my to do list to visit the Regimental Museum in Belfast but need flying carpet at present as crunched.
  5. Thr Royal Irish Rifles was renamed the Royal Ulster Rifles. As part of the amalgamations of the Infantry in 1968, the Royal Ulster Rifles, The Royal Enniskilling Fuliliers and the Royal Irish Fusiliers became the Royal Irish Rangers.

Another name change in 1993 with the merger of the Royal Irish rangers and the Ulster Defence regiment to become the Royal Irish Regiment as you read about in this thread.

A long answer to your question, but yes.

6. Many thanks to you guys - I have been doing some reseach on family history. My Great Uncle served in The Royal Irish Rifles in 1917 and was sadly one of the 90 ish lads killed on 7th June 1917 at Messines Ridge. He is buried at Lone Tree Cemetry. He was Sydney Parkinson No. 42327 in the 8th Bn. I have been puzling recently over how he came to be serving with that unit as he was from Manchester so was a local recruited lad! Further digging reveals that he was in the Army Service Corps, not sure of dates etc yet. My guess is that because the losses of these brave battalions was so high in the run up to the Messines push that they were reinforced from any other unit. The sadest thing was he and many other soldiers were killed when one of the massive underground mines went off about 14 seconds late... the lads had already set off out of their trenches...

I'm ex 3 RRF and until recently didn't know much about Sydney or my grandad who was with the Army Ordnance Corps in WW1.

With your info about the amalgamations I will be able to find out more - perhaps a visit to Belfast? I'd like to read any accounts about the unit and see if they mention any reinforcements before that battle etc.

Kind regards