Royal Irish awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mad_Moriarty, Oct 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A major parade is to be held today, mark the disbandment of the Royal Irish Regiment's home service battalions.
    Several thousand members of the regiment, and its predecessor the UDR, will attend the ceremony at Balmoral Showgrounds in Belfast.

The three home service battalions of the Royal Irish Regiment will be disbanded next July.

More than 60,000 men and women have served in the Royal Irish Regiment or the UDR since 1970.

Some 300 home service soldiers drawn from the Holywood-based 2nd Battalion, the Armagh-based 3rd Battalion, and the Omagh-based 4th Battalion will parade at the showgrounds.

They will be accompanied by musicians from the band of The Royal Irish Regiment and 100 former UDR soldiers of the Regimental Association.
  2. That will be one nice target for the remnants of the IRA!
  3. And if they didnt march through the streets of Belfast, It would be giving in to the scum!.
  4. Do you think the Parades Commission will approve it?
  5. Do they have a say on Military marches?
  6. They will have to re-route it!

And I think they should march, bayonets fixed, drums beating.... I was merely stating the obvious!!!!
  7. The Queen will be there as well sky news pointed out,well done Betty Windsor.
  8. This parade is not listed in the Parade Commissions website for today, so that answers your question.
  9. Its live on Sky news at the moment.
  10. Is there any other way for this fitting tribute?

Plus the banner......Adams you can still kiss my arrse!

11. A sad day, for the Regiment.

Although, am I looking with rose tinted glasses when I'm glad to think that I live in a part of the UK that doens't need soldiers on the streets?

Any way...

*Hums last line of Killaloe*

Do-de-do-de-diddly-do..Yoooo!!! De do de-do-de dum
  12. I seem to remember being told that the three Regular Battalions of the Queen’s Regiment were all in Belfast at the same time in the 1970’s. To mark the occasion and to exercise their Freedom of Belfast they held a snap parade. Three Battalions, Colours flying, bayonets fixed and drums beating. Hardly anybody knew about it, they just formed up and went. :D

Perhaps the RIR could do something similar as a last hurrah. They’ve earned the right.

13. An excellent turnout despite the rain.
  14. Fcuking journo scum loving the sound of their own voices.... as if the coverage of the parade is solely an opportunity for them to showcase their "talents". Wouldn't stop fcuking talking! Grrr.