Royal Hospital Chelsea...

Right Guys... This is a one off enquiry about the Home of the Chelsea Pensioners... and the question is... 'As a Soldier on the ground, what do I know (Or care) about the Royal Hospital Chelsea? This is a (reasonably) short post, but it needs to be done. All will be explained depending on the replies. I have just finished my 22 and now work here. ALL comments gratefully received. Please reply so I can explain why the Royal Hospital Chelsea is still so important to the Regular Army. :headbang:

grey_mafia said:
Right Guys... This is a one off enquiry about the Home of the Chelsea Pensioners... and the question is... 'As a Soldier on the ground, what do I know (Or care) about the Royal Hospital Chelsea? This is a (reasonably) short post, but it needs to be done. All will be explained depending on the replies. I have just finished my 22 and now work here. ALL comments gratefully received. Please reply so I can explain why the Royal Hospital Chelsea is still so important to the Regular Army. :headbang:
Is this the hospital where only officers and "special people" have a fast track treatment?

oldgoat said:
grey_mafia said:
Is this the hospital where only officers and "special people" have a fast track treatment?
You really are the biggest cunt ever to crayon over this site arent you.

The Royal Hospital is a great institution where old and bold soldiers who are unatached can go and end their days in peace, surrounded by their old comrades, and looked after by some quality people. I have had the privalige of spending some hours sharing a glass or two with some of the blokes there, and I know my Grandad always hoped my Nan would leave him so he could get in

as an added bonus they get free entry into Stamford Bridge :D

Nice one D_S, you obviously know your stuff! Apart from very few (like yourself) who have visited, a great many serving Soldiers I have spoken to, don't actually know what the RH is about, I am not shocked by the previous post though.... PS the Stamford Bridge part is pretty cool actually..(One of the guys wasn't going to attend Cav Mem unless he got back in time for the match) :D

I go almost every year to the QA cocktail party there and afterwards nip into the bar for a drink with the old and bold.
Its great to see the pensioners out and about around london and those that attend the AMS Past & Present dinner always get a fantastic welcome as they enter the function.

Here is the link, and when and if I get to that age, Im in....

click

Part of the london scene, free admission to nearly all big events, on the pi$$ (legally)...invited to a lot of reunion dinners (free)...what is there NOT to like...

I spoke to a couple of old fellas recently, the rule is you must be getting a pension from the Army, the RH takes 'half' to cover expenses, uniform upkeep etc, you have in pensioners and 'out' pensioners...any money (savings) you have you can keep...it all looks good to me!!!! You get leave etc...

Hey Grey_Mafia, we had a Corps Sgts' Mess dinner there the other year.

Met in the bar with the old boys who were able, had a tour of the place and then a cracking Regi dinner each table hosting a pensioner.

Well worth a visit and the National Army Museum is next door.

oldbaldy

LE
emptyeye said:

click

Part of the london scene, free admission to nearly all big events, on the pi$$ (legally)...invited to a lot of reunion dinners (free)...what is there NOT to like...

I spoke to a couple of old fellas recently, the rule is you must be getting a pension from the Army, the RH takes 'half' to cover expenses, uniform upkeep etc, you have in pensioners and 'out' pensioners...any money (savings) you have you can keep...it all looks good to me!!!! You get leave etc...
Not quite:

On admission to the Hospital a Pensioner surrenders his service and/or disability pension in return for board, lodgings, clothes and medical care. Retirement and any other pensions, savings, bank accounts or investments are not surrendered.
FF's links give all the answers anyone needs

oldbaldy said:
emptyeye said:

click

Not quite:

On admission to the Hospital a Pensioner surrenders his service and/or disability pension in return for board, lodgings, clothes and medical care. Retirement and any other pensions, savings, bank accounts or investments are not surrendered.
FF's links give all the answers anyone needs
Actually

A recently discharged pension holder gets a whole lot more money then someone who left in the 60's or 70's and his needs are the same as all others in the hospital, only saying what the old fellas told me quite recently, in any case, its still a place to think about when you are old and bold...

Some of them are not that old, either. They were stewards as the NAFAS Floral Luncheon in aid of SSAFA. One of them looked around fifty and was rather dishy. I would have!

drain_sniffer said:
oldgoat said:
grey_mafia said:
You really are the biggest cunt ever to crayon over this site arent you.

The Royal Hospital is a great institution where old and bold soldiers who are unatached can go and end their days in peace, surrounded by their old comrades, and looked after by some quality people. I have had the privalige of spending some hours sharing a glass or two with some of the blokes there, and I know my Grandad always hoped my Nan would leave him so he could get in

as an added bonus they get free entry into Stamford Bridge :D
Could not have put it better myself, I was attached to 1 scots guards for a while at chelski barracks, many a pi$$y night had with them, and the old gits never had to spend a dime - and rightly so :salut:

I'm a fairly regular visitor. In fact I was there just last weekend with some Coldstream Laddos.

Guards Regiments have a fairly close relationship with the Royal Hospital.

Having spent a fair bit of time at Chelsea Brks, had many a good night both in CB and RH with these gentlemen and great company they were, the ammount of sand/mud/water in my shoes by time for bed and of course slagging the politicos....terrific

Our company either this year or nextyear are looking to "Host" a Pensioner at our next Joint mess function, as there are a couple of Royal Leicester veterans at the Hospital, the enquires we had made imply that we need to go down and sign out said pensioner complete to CES and then reurn him in equally good state

No problem it will be a plesant train ride for myself, the 2i/c or CSM that will of course require some sustinance....

I went there during a week long visit to London to see the sights. Was fortunate enough to know by association one of the chaps in there (bless him now no longer around). He took me round the place, explained how it worked and showed me the sights including the accomadation, dining hall and chapel (as used by maggie). It was simply the best visit of the whole trip. Felt truely humbled by it. Echo previous comment, was quite tempted to do Mrs "say again" in just to gain entrance!

Latest Threads