Royal Hospital Chelsea...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by grey_mafia, May 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right Guys... This is a one off enquiry about the Home of the Chelsea Pensioners... and the question is... 'As a Soldier on the ground, what do I know (Or care) about the Royal Hospital Chelsea? This is a (reasonably) short post, but it needs to be done. All will be explained depending on the replies. I have just finished my 22 and now work here. ALL comments gratefully received. Please reply so I can explain why the Royal Hospital Chelsea is still so important to the Regular Army. :headbang:
  2. Is this the hospital where only officers and "special people" have a fast track treatment?
  3. You really are the biggest cunt ever to crayon over this site arent you.

The Royal Hospital is a great institution where old and bold soldiers who are unatached can go and end their days in peace, surrounded by their old comrades, and looked after by some quality people. I have had the privalige of spending some hours sharing a glass or two with some of the blokes there, and I know my Grandad always hoped my Nan would leave him so he could get in

as an added bonus they get free entry into Stamford Bridge :D
  4. Nice one D_S, you obviously know your stuff! Apart from very few (like yourself) who have visited, a great many serving Soldiers I have spoken to, don't actually know what the RH is about, I am not shocked by the previous post though.... PS the Stamford Bridge part is pretty cool actually..(One of the guys wasn't going to attend Cav Mem unless he got back in time for the match) :D
  5. what's the criteria for admission? Is it funded by charity or govt?
  6. I go almost every year to the QA cocktail party there and afterwards nip into the bar for a drink with the old and bold.
    Its great to see the pensioners out and about around london and those that attend the AMS Past & Present dinner always get a fantastic welcome as they enter the function.
  7. Here is the link, and when and if I get to that age, Im in....

Part of the london scene, free admission to nearly all big events, on the pi$$ (legally)...invited to a lot of reunion dinners (free)...what is there NOT to like...

I spoke to a couple of old fellas recently, the rule is you must be getting a pension from the Army, the RH takes 'half' to cover expenses, uniform upkeep etc, you have in pensioners and 'out' pensioners...any money (savings) you have you can all looks good to me!!!! You get leave etc...
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Hey Grey_Mafia, we had a Corps Sgts' Mess dinner there the other year.

Met in the bar with the old boys who were able, had a tour of the place and then a cracking Regi dinner each table hosting a pensioner.

Well worth a visit and the National Army Museum is next door.
  9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Not quite:

FF's links give all the answers anyone needs
  10. Actually

A recently discharged pension holder gets a whole lot more money then someone who left in the 60's or 70's and his needs are the same as all others in the hospital, only saying what the old fellas told me quite recently, in any case, its still a place to think about when you are old and bold...
  11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Some of them are not that old, either. They were stewards as the NAFAS Floral Luncheon in aid of SSAFA. One of them looked around fifty and was rather dishy. I would have!
  12. youre a chick right?
  13. Could not have put it better myself, I was attached to 1 scots guards for a while at chelski barracks, many a pi$$y night had with them, and the old gits never had to spend a dime - and rightly so :salut:
  14. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Well I'm not yellow with a beak, but I am a girl, yes.