Royal Green Jackets?

I see there is an ad on TV at the moment flogging a commemorative gold sovereign coin finished in 'respectful' black for the public to remember the armistice of WW1. See below -

It's presented by Sir Geoffrey Pattie, who is titled 'Honorary Colonel of the 4th Royal Green Jackets'

As I understand it the Royal Green Jackets were amalgamated into The Rifles around 2005, so they no longer exist, yet on Sir Geoff’s wiki entry it says 'He is serving as Honorary Colonel of the 4th Battalion, Royal Green Jackets since January 1996.’

Do the RGJs still exist in some sort of ceremonial way within The Rifles?

Also in the ad at 1m.08s he claims that they will donate some of cash raised to SSAFA, but the subtitles say they will donate 10% of NET profits which means absolutely nothing as it’s well known salaries and trading costs can be legitimately manipulated to reduce profits.

Seems a bit sketchy to me

4 RGJ (TAVR) was formed in 1967 out of the Queen Victoria Rifles. It became 'The London Regiment' in 1992 and together with the other RGJ TA units, became 7th Bn Rifles in 2007.

I suspect the prefix 'Honorary' might be a life-long entitlement to the 'Colonel' part just as regular retirees tend to cling to the Col, Major, Capt. titles of their former life. Nothing unusual in that.

Attachments

I see there is an ad on TV at the moment flogging a commemorative gold sovereign coin finished in 'respectful' black for the public to remember the armistice of WW1. See below -

It's presented by Sir Geoffrey Pattie, who is titled 'Honorary Colonel of the 4th Royal Green Jackets'

As I understand it the Royal Green Jackets were amalgamated into The Rifles around 2005, so they no longer exist, yet on Sir Geoff’s wiki entry it says 'He is serving as Honorary Colonel of the 4th Battalion, Royal Green Jackets since January 1996.’

Also in the ad at 1m.08s he claims that they will donate some of cash raised to SSAFA, but the subtitles say they will donate 10% of NET profits which means absolutely nothing as it’s well known salaries and trading costs can be legitimately manipulated to reduce profits.

It makes it quite clear that he was a 'Former Minister of State for Defence Procurement and Honorary Colonel of 4 RGJ' - former being the operative word. With the Queens head on one side of the coin and a family tree of some pedigree regarding 4 RGJ, it doesn't look at all sketchy.

Seen these advertised in a number of publications, and, I think, a tv commercial

Sir Geoffrey used to be quite visible WRT 4RGJ.
He even accompanied a recce patrol some years ago.

It makes it quite clear that he was a 'Former Minister of State for Defence Procurement and Honorary Colonel of 4 RGJ' - former being the operative word. With the Queens head on one side of the coin and a family tree of some pedigree regarding 4 RGJ, it doesn't look at all sketchy.
Does he have a holiday home in Cyprus?

As long as they don't sell any tat to commemorate any muslim stuff.
“We must not on any account break with the Moslems, who represent a hundred million people, and the main army elements on which we must rely for the immediate fighting”.

Winston Churchill in a letter to Franklin Roosevelt.