Royal Green Jackets questions

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Lower_Jumper, Dec 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If a soldier failed to be an adequate marksman after repeated attempts to train him, would he be sent to a different infantry unit?

Were the heightened standards outlined in their lineage (expert marksmen, 140 paces v. 120, etc) maintained until their disbandment or were the RGJs about par with other light infantry units?

2. Would not be sent to another Regiment. The marching pace of 140 was maintained and is carried through to the Rifles.

3. Tell you what mate I have 2 ex jackets working with me in civvy street...both thicker than a whale omelette!!!

4. Essentially, the Jackets became less distinguished from the rest of the infantry by the end of the nineteenth century because the rest of the infantry became more like them - wearing khaki, emphasis on individual marksmanship, awareness of fire and movement principles etc etc. So the ideal of soldiering proposed by the RGJ pioneers such as Moore etc became accepted as ideals for British infantry soldiering in general.

Much of what distinguished green jackets originally was kept on as regimental tradition and served well to bond men recruited from disperate backgrounds, sustained by a regimental ideal rather than the locale from which they were recruited.

When I served in the 80s there was still a lot of emphasis on the tradition - lack of BS (very little screaming, shouting or polishing), efficiency, high degree of self reliance amongst the riflemen. To be honest, it was a mixed blessing - with the better soldiers it was an excellent ethos and produced some exceptionally professional men. With some of the dross that managed to get through the depot it was a disaster - give an idiot a high level of self reliance and you've got problems. The solution generally involved the more experienced riflemen ''offering kinetic counselling' as a way of raising standards. Hence the various 'bullying' scandals.

5. I spent a lot of my career with 2RGJ. Good lads. Thick as mince some of them, but a good bunch.

6. I appreciate the responses, thank you.

7. Bunch of fruits :wink:

8. A favourite Green Jacket (2GJ/2RGJ at least) expression was "Swede Mob" to denote, slightly disparagingly, any county regiment.

Did this expression survive the amalgamations that just about caused the county regiments to disappear?

9. Green Jackets... handy with a shovel.

• Like Like x 1
  10. For 2RGJ in Germany it was "Durch"......can't be arrse to explain, as it made no sense anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

'Swede' used to be London term for anyone one deemed a country bumpkin, or even for any non-Londoner. Haven't heard anyone use it since the 1980's! Served in 2 Rifles (successor to KRRC/2GJ/original 2RGJ) and never heard it used.

12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

"Durch" - very much still in use. Actually saw someone driving around with a "Wank Durch!" sticker on his windscreen.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Also used by 1RGJ, great word.

14. (Un)interesting fact...

Many countries experimented with 'light' troops in days gone past including the boxheads who called their light troops 'hunters'.

As Queen Viccy was married to a boxhead she popularised the idea of Brit light troops who were known as 'Rifles' after the weapon they were armed with

But the big thing was the rethinking of tactics that the weapon called the rifle forced on the British Army... Anyway the various new Rifle regiments took the Bugle horn (Bugle is an old germanic name for the european ox) to be their badge (or a part of their badge)

Why?

Coz St. Hubert is the patron saint of hunters and his emblem is... the Bugle Horn.

QUIS SEPARABIT

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bloke at work has a wnak durch sticker in his back window and also has a 111 RGJ number plate.

His brother is a bit of a hero in RGJ stuff, he slotted some terrorist in Belfast!

My other fond memory of the Jackets can be found here on my site....My regiment the 3rd of Track were part of there Battle Group in the mid 80s on SLTA Half way down the page..Old Mcdonald had a farm!