Royal Green Jackets questions

#1
If a soldier failed to be an adequate marksman after repeated attempts to train him, would he be sent to a different infantry unit?

Were the heightened standards outlined in their lineage (expert marksmen, 140 paces v. 120, etc) maintained until their disbandment or were the RGJs about par with other light infantry units?
 
#2
Would not be sent to another Regiment. The marching pace of 140 was maintained and is carried through to the Rifles.
 
#3
Tell you what mate I have 2 ex jackets working with me in civvy street...both thicker than a whale omelette!!!
 
#4
Essentially, the Jackets became less distinguished from the rest of the infantry by the end of the nineteenth century because the rest of the infantry became more like them - wearing khaki, emphasis on individual marksmanship, awareness of fire and movement principles etc etc. So the ideal of soldiering proposed by the RGJ pioneers such as Moore etc became accepted as ideals for British infantry soldiering in general.

Much of what distinguished green jackets originally was kept on as regimental tradition and served well to bond men recruited from disperate backgrounds, sustained by a regimental ideal rather than the locale from which they were recruited.

When I served in the 80s there was still a lot of emphasis on the tradition - lack of BS (very little screaming, shouting or polishing), efficiency, high degree of self reliance amongst the riflemen. To be honest, it was a mixed blessing - with the better soldiers it was an excellent ethos and produced some exceptionally professional men. With some of the dross that managed to get through the depot it was a disaster - give an idiot a high level of self reliance and you've got problems. The solution generally involved the more experienced riflemen ''offering kinetic counselling' as a way of raising standards. Hence the various 'bullying' scandals.
 
#5
trelawney said:
Tell you what mate I have 2 ex jackets working with me in civvy street...both thicker than a whale omelette!!!
I spent a lot of my career with 2RGJ. Good lads. Thick as mince some of them, but a good bunch.
 
#8
Mister_Angry said:
Much of what distinguished green jackets originally was kept on as regimental tradition and served well to bond men recruited from disperate backgrounds, sustained by a regimental ideal rather than the locale from which they were recruited.
A favourite Green Jacket (2GJ/2RGJ at least) expression was "Swede Mob" to denote, slightly disparagingly, any county regiment.

Did this expression survive the amalgamations that just about caused the county regiments to disappear?
 
#10
Tawahi-50 said:
Mister_Angry said:
Much of what distinguished green jackets originally was kept on as regimental tradition and served well to bond men recruited from disperate backgrounds, sustained by a regimental ideal rather than the locale from which they were recruited.
A favourite Green Jacket (2GJ/2RGJ at least) expression was "Swede Mob" to denote, slightly disparagingly, any county regiment.

Did this expression survive the amalgamations that just about caused the county regiments to disappear?
For 2RGJ in Germany it was "Durch"......can't be arrse to explain, as it made no sense anyway.
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#11
Tawahi-50 said:
Mister_Angry said:
Much of what distinguished green jackets originally was kept on as regimental tradition and served well to bond men recruited from disperate backgrounds, sustained by a regimental ideal rather than the locale from which they were recruited.
A favourite Green Jacket (2GJ/2RGJ at least) expression was "Swede Mob" to denote, slightly disparagingly, any county regiment.

Did this expression survive the amalgamations that just about caused the county regiments to disappear?
'Swede' used to be London term for anyone one deemed a country bumpkin, or even for any non-Londoner. Haven't heard anyone use it since the 1980's! Served in 2 Rifles (successor to KRRC/2GJ/original 2RGJ) and never heard it used.
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
smudge67 said:
For 2RGJ in Germany it was "Durch"......can't be arrse to explain, as it made no sense anyway.
"Durch" - very much still in use. Actually saw someone driving around with a "Wank Durch!" sticker on his windscreen.
 
#13
RP578 said:
smudge67 said:
For 2RGJ in Germany it was "Durch"......can't be arrse to explain, as it made no sense anyway.
"Durch" - very much still in use. Actually saw someone driving around with a "Wank Durch!" sticker on his windscreen.
Also used by 1RGJ, great word.
 
#14
(Un)interesting fact...

Many countries experimented with 'light' troops in days gone past including the boxheads who called their light troops 'hunters'.

As Queen Viccy was married to a boxhead she popularised the idea of Brit light troops who were known as 'Rifles' after the weapon they were armed with

But the big thing was the rethinking of tactics that the weapon called the rifle forced on the British Army... Anyway the various new Rifle regiments took the Bugle horn (Bugle is an old germanic name for the european ox) to be their badge (or a part of their badge)

Why?

Coz St. Hubert is the patron saint of hunters and his emblem is... the Bugle Horn.

QUIS SEPARABIT
 
#15
Bloke at work has a wnak durch sticker in his back window and also has a 111 RGJ number plate.

His brother is a bit of a hero in RGJ stuff, he slotted some terrorist in Belfast!

My other fond memory of the Jackets can be found here on my site....My regiment the 3rd of Track were part of there Battle Group in the mid 80s on SLTA Half way down the page..Old Mcdonald had a farm!
 
#16
The Green jackets always use to have a saying. Do all that is neccessary, and nothing that is not. Use always found their battalions to be pretty switched on.

Some excellent CO's in Germany 2 RGJ, who have gone on to be pretty good Generals.
 
#17
Mister_Angry said:
When I served in the 80s there was still a lot of emphasis on the tradition - lack of BS (very little screaming, shouting or polishing).
definately true. There was very much an ethos of 'if it doesn't actually help get the job done, don't bother doing it'

all analness surrounding over-polishing, trouser creases to cut your finger and what not were much frowned upon. The time was instead spent making your beret the most outrageous shape possible (with the badge as far towards your ear as you could get away with) because you were allowed to; and going about finding the longest smock ever produced and wearing it with all the toggles undone around your knees.

I wouldn't say we were scruffy... just 'less formal' than most other regiments! Definately struggled at first when I went elsewhere.

By the way - the pace is 140 as opposed to 116, not as opposed to 120 ;)
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#18
trelawney said:
Tell you what mate I have 2 ex jackets working with me in civvy street...both thicker than a whale omelette!!!
Obviously from eithe 1st or 2nd battalions, who were redcoats anyway!
The 3rd battalion (The Rifle Brigade) had a tradition regarding shooting. Anyone who failed to score as marksman in depot didn't get to 3rd Bn. And it was an unofficial but very present tradition that everyone in the battalion classified each year as marksman.

Bull was at a total minimum, as was drill. The parade square was a useful car park. But the job got done.
 
#19
If the RGJ were the answer, it must have been one heck of a silly question! :twisted:

Those officers' mess kits, with the rolled over velour collar - like a ruritanian admiral's smoking jacket...it made even the Royal Regiment look smart. Smart like a smart British Rail waiter I grant you...
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads