Royal Green Jackets - elite?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by pio12345, Jun 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bit of a history question here. I've just been reading Clayton's The British Officer and noticed he referred to the formation of the Royal Green Jackets as the amalgamation of a number of regiments to preserve their 'elite' status. I've also read in a few other places the RGJ being referred to as elite. Having read the Sun I know to take this kind of thing with a pinch of salt as everything is referred to as elite but was wondering why I often see the RGJ being referred to as elite. Is it a social or historical thing? Has this elite status transferred onto the Rifles?
  2. Read " The Rifles" by Mark Urban
  3. Good as they may be, by definition, no they're not elite.
  4. My old man was in that regiment - historically they were an elite as in the Napoleonic Wars they started out as hand picked men, chosen for their ability to think for themselves a bit better than the average redcoat.

Elite (occasionally spelled Élite) is taken originally from the Latin, eligere, "to elect" (yes I nicked this from Wiki)

5. In fairness to the RGJ, a British Infantry Regiment is better than many of the world's so-called elite or Special Forces units. :roll:

Anyone remember the Egyptian "Force 777"? 8O
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. If the jackets were elite, Werewolf would have forged a fawning, almost stalker-like friendship with one of them on here by now.
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

"As in bury her here"
    "What did you get as a get away car"
    "A Mini Moke"
    "Choosen men"

They could have marched faster than that heap of sh1t :D
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Edited. Question moved.
  9. Like the "friendship" between you and Biscuits_AB? :wink:
  10. You mean the 'we're both the same poster' fantasy that you've invented and started believing? Anyone that sees through your obsessive lust for soldiers and martial arts which carries you through your mundane civvy life of trolley collecting is a friend in my books.
  11. The RGJ like the Light Infantry were considered an elite when they were formed. Sometime early in the Peninsular war there was a requirement for fast moving infantry to harass the French, particularly in the mountain regions of Spain and Portugal. These troops were skirmishers and this new form of warfare caused the French real problems. Due to their unstructured, almost guerilla style of fighting they required a different type of weapon. The preferred choice was the American Baker rifle, which was easier to load and far more accurate than the traditional musket used by the normal redcoats. Their role also required them to be dressed differently to normal infantry, instead of the Redcoat they wore Green jackets to allow for greater camouflage...All things considered, i would say that they were an elite within the Infantry at the time...Just an opinion!

Most of the above info was gleaned from John Laffins book..Tommy Atkins, The story of the English soldier and various other publications.
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1

12. 'American Baker Rifle', 'New form of Warfare', 'Guerilla Style of fighting' what the fcuk are you on?
    The Rifle was designed by an Englishman, how they fought isn't even within TOUCHING distance of geurilla warfare, and skirmishing has been around for thousands of years before that - even the ancient Greeks covered their advance with skirmishers. How could you even type that cr@p with a straight face?

Part of the reason we conceived the 95th was to combat the Fench Voltigeours (i probably misspelt that but I can't be arrsed to look up the correct spelling) who were skirmishers used to cover the advance of the French Line Infantry, who inevitably advanced in column and needed cover. Said French skirmishers also kept eyes offthe French main line, giving their commanders thinking space - preserving the OODA loop, if you will. Interestingly, they used smooth barrelled muskets as opposed to the rifled British design, as they believed rate of fire was more important than accuracy or range, and

As tropper mentioned, Mark Urban's 'The Rifles' is an excellent bok to read, as is 'Redcoat' by Richard Holmes
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Not sure of the current data, but pretty recently the RGJ made up a disproportionate amount of VERY Senior Officers within the Army. The Army Sergeant Major is Rifles; as is Commander Regional Forces.
  14. :lol: :lol:
  15. Think that was one of the reasons they were known as the "Black Mafia"
    • Like Like x 1