Royal Engineers

Dear all

A 22 year veteran of the RE has recently and tragically taken his own life, shortly after leaving the service.

Is it correct that the army will not be represented at his funeral, due to the manner of his death?

His family believe this to be true.

Dear all

A 22 year veteran of the RE has recently and tragically taken his own life, shortly after leaving the service.

Is it correct that the army will not be represented at his funeral, due to the manner of his death?

His family believe this to be true.

The Army won’t be represented at his funeral, because he was no longer serving at the time of his death.

Nothing to do with the manner of his death.

Contact the Royal Engineers Association and he will be represented commensurate with the family‘s wishes.

Dear Dingerr

Thank you for your reply.

I posted on behalf, though not with the knowledge, of a very upset work colleague , who has lost a brother.

I will advise him of this option, he believes that it is the manner of the death that is preventing army representation. I don’t know where that comes from, but it came out today in a conversation.

Thank you again for your advice and for your time.

Dear Dingerr

Thank you for your reply.

I posted on behalf, though not with the knowledge, of a very upset work colleague , who has lost a brother.

I will advise him of this option, he believes that it is the manner of the death that is preventing army representation. I don’t know where that comes from, but it came out today in a conversation.

Thank you again for your advice and for your time.

The manner of death is not an issue, but it is a common misconception that it is.

If his service was quite recent then some may tip up in uniform.

when any members of my trade pass, I am informed and email the association as well as placing a post on the Association facebook page. Funeral details are sent out and we will try and meet the wishes of the family, in the past this has meant a Union Flag for the coffin and peak cap or beret. Sometimes it’s just a wreath on behalf of the association.

I’m sure the REA will do similar.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
If he is anywhere near Southend im sure a few Sappers would turn out for him .

Dear All

Update.

Thank you all for your advice and time spent replying to my original post.

The funeral took place in Yorkshire and was well attended.

My work colleague did indeed contact the organisations you suggested.

On the day 2 wreaths were delivered from army sources and several members of the RE past and present attended. Some even in uniform.

This meant an enormous amount to the family and I do not think it would have happened without your input.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Latest Threads