Royal Engineers

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by mikey-21, Jun 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. alrite, im joining the RE, mainly to get a trade but also i like that kind of job, although im concerned about some things ive seen on here, i was hoping that as an engineer you would kinda get the best of both, infantry soldier and engineer, but a few people have said your not going to be to directly involved with the fighting and only be doing minor infantry tasks?
    any infantry or engineers on here who can tell us about past experience or what they'v heard? Cheers :D
  2. When you first apply etc or even in your own personal research you should notice or take in that everyone is first and foremost a infantry soldier hence Phase 1 training is exactly the same (across the board as it were).
    As you say, your hoping to join the RE's which in your Phase 2 ( I've no intention of patronising you, must apologise if it seems that way) you will be trained as a "Combat Engineer" so with this in mind i personal would've thought that, yes you'd would be more upfront than say someone the AGC for example.
    I'm quite happy to stand corrected - I'm just going off what I've read and people I've spoken to.

Hope This Helps

Syn :)
  3. Don't worry, once you pass out as a Sapper you won't be worried about what ifs, you will know it was the right thing..............

Once a Sapper Always a Sapper!
  4. thanks for the reply mate, and ye i know how it all works, you train as an infantry soldier first, as does everyone, then a combat engineer, ie: mines bridges demolition, which im guessing your not far behind the infantry and called forward when needed, then a tradesman, in my case communications, but on the application it says you may need to support the infantry in operations, does this mean as an engineer or as part of the infantry, ive just heard people saying engineers arnt as good soldiers as the infantry and arnt likely to be involved in assults and so on. Fair enough they may not be as good soldiers because soldiering is not there direct proffesion like the infantry, engineering is, just wondering peoples opinions? :?