Royal Engineers - trade selection - phase 2 training

Hi, newbie to this forum and looking for a bit of advice please. My son has just been accepted into the Royal Engineers via AFC Harrogate, he has just been asked to select three trades (phase 2 training) from his allocated trade group list, The trade that he applied for (POM) is his number one choice and the reason he is he joining up, but the others don't really have any relation to what he wants be. I understand from searching this forum and google that his role will be first and foremost a Combat Engineer and his trade comes a second to that but just concerned he may be forced into a trade that he does not want to do, don't get me wrong he is keen and willing, but pretty well set on being a POM, just wondering what are the chances are of him not getting his chosen trade . Thanks.

I am sure someone from the RE will be about but as I am having a into-work-brew and looking at ARRSE ill do a general Army answer. Firstly the needs of the Army come first so there will be always some disappointment featuring heavily in your lads future career and whilst they will cater where possible for his needs.....its a second to what the Army wants. But, no good putting a lad into a career he doesnt want to do. You are right that within the RE everyone is Combat Engineer and then can stream to a trade but recently it changed that you could stay as a Combat Engineer. Assuming he has put in General Fitter as a secondary option then he should not be worried about getting that as a option from the Army....he will still be "spannering stuff".

I am sure someone from the RE will be about but as I am having a into-work-brew and looking at ARRSE ill do a general Army answer. Firstly the needs of the Army come first so there will be always some disappointment featuring heavily in your lads future career and whilst they will cater where possible for his needs.....its a second to what the Army wants. But, no good putting a lad into a career he doesnt want to do. You are right that within the RE everyone is Combat Engineer and then can stream to a trade but recently it changed that you could stay as a Combat Engineer. Assuming he has put in General Fitter as a secondary option then he should not be worried about getting that as a option from the Army....he will still be "spannering stuff".
Hi, thanks for the quick reply, his first second and third choices on his primary army application are jobs he wants to do ( POM, Recce Mech, Arm Mech), but he just received an email from RE that when he starts combat training he then has an interview with the RE where he has to choose out of a list of five for his Artisan/ Phase 2 training , first one being a POM (great stuff) other painter, brick layer, fabricator/welder, all good trades but not plant/ heavy machine operation which he is set on doing,

If he wants to be a planty (POM) then tell him to stick his guns, so to say.

Tell him to ensure he does everything necessary to make sure he gets his choice.

That may involve waiting around for a few weeks or months after he passes phase 2 until his course starts. There used to be a holding troop at Gibraltar barracks (where you do phase 2) and they would keep you there doing general duties until your course started.

Sometimes the lads that were waiting in the holding troop would be offered slots on other trade training courses, in order to fill the spaces up on under subscribed courses. Like for example a bricky or a joiners course starting next week might have a few empty slots they will try and fill.

Some lads would be a bit fed up of waiting about and would happily change there trade choice so they could get away from the holding troop sooner, whilst other lads stuck it out.

So advise him to do well in phase 1 & 2 and make sure he passes any extra relevant tests required for the POM trade.

Disclaimer: I went through training 21 years ago and it has more than likely changed a little bit now. I’m happy to be updated, just thought I’d offer a little bit of info.

If he wants to be a plant op then advise him to stick it out and don’t accept anything else.

Out in the field army the plant ops were usually posted into support troops and they have a slightly different day to day life than those lads posted into field troops (mainly where the artisan trades are posted)

On exercise or ops they will work alongside the field troops sometimes, and may even be detached to them for long periods of time. Other times they will be kept together and have their own plant heavy style tasks.

Best of luck to him which ever way he goes :):thumleft:

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, his first second and third choices on his primary army application are jobs he wants to do ( POM, Recce Mech, Arm Mech), but he just received an email from RE that when he starts combat training he then has an interview with the RE where he has to choose out of a list of five for his Artisan/ Phase 2 training , first one being a POM (great stuff) other painter, brick layer, fabricator/welder, all good trades but not plant/ heavy machine operation which he is set on doing,
Ahhh, so from "his" choices he has chosen 2 trades which are not within the RE (Recovery Mechanic and I am guessing Vehicle Mechanic as there is no such trade as Armd Mech, unless he means Armoured Engineer?). The other 2 are REME. As RIGRAT has said, I have been out for a few years although my son went through Army selection 2 years ago and one of his choices was RE, Armoured Engineer was one of his choices. It seems then your son is basing his choice purely on trade and not Corps. Nothing wrong with that but the RE has other mechanic type roles like General Fitter.

Ahhh, so from "his" choices he has chosen 2 trades which are not within the RE (Recovery Mechanic and I am guessing Vehicle Mechanic as there is no such trade as Armd Mech, unless he means Armoured Engineer?). The other 2 are REME. As RIGRAT has said, I have been out for a few years although my son went through Army selection 2 years ago and one of his choices was RE, Armoured Engineer was one of his choices. It seems then your son is basing his choice purely on trade and not Corps. Nothing wrong with that but the RE has other mechanic type roles like General Fitter.
Sorry, your right Armoured Engineer, yes his choice is based purely on trade ( big machines has always been his thing), If it came down to it I think he would be happy with General fitter, but its not on the trade list he has been asked to chose from,

If he wants to be a planty (POM) then tell him to stick his guns, so to say.

Tell him to ensure he does everything necessary to make sure he gets his choice.

That may involve waiting around for a few weeks or months after he passes phase 2 until his course starts. There used to be a holding troop at Gibraltar barracks (where you do phase 2) and they would keep you there doing general duties until your course started.

Sometimes the lads that were waiting in the holding troop would be offered slots on other trade training courses, in order to fill the spaces up on under subscribed courses. Like for example a bricky or a joiners course starting next week might have a few empty slots they will try and fill.

Some lads would be a bit fed up of waiting about and would happily change there trade choice so they could get away from the holding troop sooner, whilst other lads stuck it out.

So advise him to do well in phase 1 & 2 and make sure he passes any extra relevant tests required for the POM trade.

Disclaimer: I went through training 21 years ago and it has more than likely changed a little bit now. I’m happy to be updated, just thought I’d offer a little bit of info.

If he wants to be a plant op then advise him to stick it out and don’t accept anything else.

Out in the field army the plant ops were usually posted into support troops and they have a slightly different day to day life than those lads posted into field troops (mainly where the artisan trades are posted)

On exercise or ops they will work alongside the field troops sometimes, and may even be detached to them for long periods of time. Other times they will be kept together and have their own plant heavy style tasks.

Best of luck to him which ever way he
Thanks Rigrat, that explains a lot, only concern is that the other two choices are not mandatory, and that he still has an option even though he has to put a second and third trade choice, not to take them by sticking to his guns regarding being a Planty, Cheers.

Latest Threads