Royal Engineers Reserve

Don't fall into the trap of thinking the AR will only want you for your day job...
Although in 170, that's exactly what they want. Appreciating that, they offer incentives that other units can only dream of.

Two weeks at Thetford every year? I don't think so.

Leo93

Crow
While your skills may be welcome in the RE, one of the good things about the AR is that you can to a decent amount plough your own furrough - you may have a desire to do XYZ, and if there is a course available to Reservists Sappers, your unit should be able to get you on it.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking the AR will only want you for your day job...
That's good to know, i'm sure ill find out more once I go and visit. As 170 is a national unit and i read national units don't train as much as local? Is there still an opportunity to train regularly?

Well, there's skiing. Or sailing in Cyprus or Gibraltar. But civvies do those on a regular basis.

How about diving off Ascension Island or the Falklands?

No guarantees but blokes in my Team did these. It's very much a case of being in the right place at the right time, latching onto another unit.
I know, I have never been sailing or skiing! So stuff like this is very tempting. I know it won't necessarily be a regular thing though!

I know, I have never been sailing or skiing! So stuff like this is very tempting. I know it won't necessarily be a regular thing though!
The skiing was and may still be an annual opportunity (I've been out 8 years). The rest happened at Annual Camp.

Thanks mate. What do you mean by KSE?

Ideally I wanted it to be a bit different but still similar if that makes sense? I ideally wanted to try things I'd never get to do in the 'real' world, such as adventurous training etc?

Would I get that? Im based in Leicester, but have an interview set up at 170 for an officer position.
Knowledge Skills Experience.

you'd get AT at any reserve unit.

by all means go for 170 but for your 'big different, but the same' have a look at 350. And read up on other units in the area.

170 is a national unit and I'm guessing you'll be a professional qualified officer as a civil engineer, so you use your civil engineering skills. National units need 17 days attendance per year, usually weekends.

you could join any other unit, either as an officer or tom, and do something that interests but not your 9-5. A T still available.

whatever you do you must want to do in your spare time. Otherwise you won't go.

think about having a bad day at the office and then having a weekend in the same field (for fun) good or bad.

it's why the reserves have lawyers and barristers running around as infantry grenadiers at the weekend instead on the army legal folk or as officers.

Like I say, have a look around and don't be shy of looking at other units.

You could pick three. Similar to day job, interesting, and bat sh*t crazy and off the wall.

That's what I did and ended up in the last option.

the Russo changed at 170 I think but the 350 lad is a good bloke and won't try to pull the wool.

Last edited:
As 170 is a national unit and i read national units don't train as much as local? Is there still an opportunity to train regularly?
Nationally-recruited units have a minimum commitment of 15 days Annual Camp (same as an independent unit) plus 2 weekends and no drill nights. This is just enough to clear MATTs.

There are additional non-obligatory weekends where you'll do further military or trade training, briefings for upcoming Camp, H&S, debriefing from Camp, vehicle familiarisation and so on. If it hasn't changed much, April to June are fairly quiet then about one, occasionally two weekends per month with Camp sometime between July and October. It gets busy in February and March after a slack December and January.

You may, in the future, also end up on pre-Camp recces and/or Advance Party, each of which could require a week off work, depending on flights. But that's probably about 10 years in the future.

Last edited:
it's why the reserves have lawyers and barristers running around as infantry grenadiers at the weekend instead on the army legal folk or as officers.
It's also why 170 has had nuclear physicists who have refused to promote beyond Corporal. Happy to use their skills when the balloon goes up but wanting to get away from responsibility in the meantime.

Can I suggest care in the use of acronyms - the guy isn't even in yet and so MATTS and RUSO (ROSO?) will likely be beyond him.

I've just assumed the OPs gender. I shall submit myself foer, umm, something.

Leo93

Crow
Can I suggest care in the use of acronyms - the guy isn't even in yet and so MATTS and RUSO (ROSO?) will likely be beyond him.

I've just assumed the OPs gender. I shall submit myself foer, umm, something.
It's true. The acronyms are somewhat confusing at times! However, you assumed correct on gender.

I guess as someone with zero military knowledge, it's hard to know which unit will be the best for me. Is it easy to change between them once you're in? Say if I joined 170 then didn't like it?

You can change units.

Even services if you want to.

But there must be a vacancy. It's usually quick too, being unit to unit rather than via higher organisations.

Don't quote me, but I think army reserve units can still overman.

Everything @putteesinmyhands said.
I trained as land surveyor and qualified as a chartered surveyor and chartered engineer. Before and after qualifying I was with 525 STRE(V). Army used my skillsets and they trained me in theirs.

Great time doing real work around the world and rank was secondary to skills. (As a lowly corporal in Cyprus I was on the theodolite while our major ran around with the reflector. I well remember the look of two guards captains who wandered past.)

Your skills gives you a grounding with the army and army skills do no harm in civil life. I am sure talking about my military tasks and the clerk of works board got me through my professional interview and my civil experience helped with army clerk of works. You dont have to hurtle up the ranks, sometimes being in the background is a benefit.

Give it a go...

Last edited:
It's true. The acronyms are somewhat confusing at times! However, you assumed correct on gender.

I guess as someone with zero military knowledge, it's hard to know which unit will be the best for me. Is it easy to change between them once you're in? Say if I joined 170 then didn't like it?
You should go on visits to a number of units. I was infantry, left a few years ago but I did love it. It is quite possible to do a number of courses via the infantry but if you're set on joining the RE to use your skills, fair enough.

While it may be possible to switch units (and I'm not convinced it is...) you may find that you can't actually do the job you think you want to.

For example, if you switched from RE to Infantry, you may well be expected to do what is effectively the Infantry trade course - Combat Infantryman's Course, at Catterick.

Similarly one of my blokes left to go to a Yeomanry Squadron, and was considering coming back as a Lance Corporal, a promotion awarded to him after a weekend course.

Infantry Junior NCOs get their first promotion to Lance Corporal after getting thrashed for two weeks by Angry Scotsmen. As it should be. He didn't want to do that so we didn't take him back.

I can't speak definitively about rebadging (changing units) as an Officer, though...

You should go on visits to a number of units.
That's what I did.

I was quite interested in 170 but I don't think it would have been a good fit for me or my skills and interests.

That said I practically ran out of a unit that was my own capbadge at the time.

Try local and national units, although chances are 170 is the only national unit for your skills.

I guess as someone with zero military knowledge, it's hard to know which unit will be the best for me. Is it easy to change between them once you're in?
You could apply for a transfer or you could hand your kit in and go somewhere else.

There's a massive difference between National and Local. In National, you can expect to be treated as a grown-up individual because the Army wants your skills (which may be in short supply or non-existent in the Regular Army). In Local, the Army moulds you to what they want so you're one of many and comparatively easily replaceable.

As an Engineer, your civvy work commitments may limit your availability for AR training (consider leaving work early on a Friday for a weekend and every Wednesday night). Miss a few nights or weekends and a Local unit will be looking to get rid because you're disrupting their training programme. A National unit will tend to be more tolerant because they don't have the burden of training you (other than basic military skills).

You should go on visits to a number of units. I was infantry, left a few years ago but I did love it. It is quite possible to do a number of courses via the infantry but if you're set on joining the RE to use your skills, fair enough.

While it may be possible to switch units (and I'm not convinced it is...) you may find that you can't actually do the job you think you want to.

For example, if you switched from RE to Infantry, you may well be expected to do what is effectively the Infantry trade course - Combat Infantryman's Course, at Catterick.

Similarly one of my blokes left to go to a Yeomanry Squadron, and was considering coming back as a Lance Corporal, a promotion awarded to him after a weekend course.

Infantry Junior NCOs get their first promotion to Lance Corporal after getting thrashed for two weeks by Angry Scotsmen. As it should be. He didn't want to do that so we didn't take him back.

I can't speak definitively about rebadging (changing units) as an Officer, though...

JNCO Cadre in Gibraltar Barracks - two weeks thrashing by regulars but it meant we wore our stripe with a little pride and understood how hard it was to earn

There's a massive difference between National and Local. In National, you can expect to be treated as a grown-up individual because the Army wants your skills (which may be in short supply or non-existent in the Regular Army). In Local, the Army moulds you to what they want so you're one of many and comparatively easily replaceable.
Not strictly true.

Maybe 5-10 years ago.

Certainly my unit tried to be grown up. Ironically it's a 20+ year reservist who is the biggest obstacle to this.

chances are 170 is the only national unit for your skills.
True enough about being the only National unit but the majority of Local units will take on a potential officer on the basis of having a degree in just about any subject.

Not strictly true.

Maybe 5-10 years ago.

Certainly my unit tried to be grown up. Ironically it's a 20+ year reservist who is the biggest obstacle to this.
Let's put it down to different experiences then. I've experienced two Local units and one National unit with the associated transfers between. And the second transfer was complicated when the Local unit struck me off for poor attendance - despite me having 100+ days including an Annual Camp logged in. I'd explain further but that's for a different thread.

'kin Anglians.

Leo93

Crow
I appreciate all the responses! I'm probably just going to visit a few units and just jump in at the deep end and join one. I just have an image of doing lots of travelling abroad and round the UK. Not sure how much of that will come into fruition though.

Well, there's skiing. Or sailing in Cyprus or Gibraltar. But civvies do those on a regular basis.

How about diving off Ascension Island or the Falklands?
Civvies do do these but to put it in context:

My regiment is currently on their annual skiing exped. Cost to individuals about £250 plus they get paid so at least should break even (depending on booze consumption etc.)

My civvy employer ‘offered’ a ski trip recently. Cost to individuals £500-£800 + flights!

Leo93

Crow
Civvies do do these but to put it in context:

My regiment is currently on their annual skiing exped. Cost to individuals about £250 plus they get paid so at least should break even (depending on booze consumption etc.)

My civvy employer ‘offered’ a ski trip recently. Cost to individuals £500-£800 + flights!
Which Regiment is this...

Latest Threads