Royal Engineers Reserve

Greetings,

I am hoping to find out as much information as I can with regards to the above. Some background on myself - I was in the process to join the RAF and was then offered a job with a military company. This meant being able to live close to home and a better living, work/life balance for my family etc. I am at the older end with regards to age (31), and my motivation to join is that I still have an ambition to serve.

As I am in an engineering role and come from an engineering education/background, the Royal Engineers is the logical and best choice for me I believe. With everything going as I hope, I’d like to become a sparky first and foremost and then in the longer term - possibly look to become a Royal Engineer Commando.

If there is anyone who can help, I would appreciate any honest, useful advice (or reality check if more appropriate!) as well as having further questions.

Thanks for any and all advice that you can give as its much appreciated.

Chef

LE
131 Sqn are Commando RE based in London if that's any use to you. A couple of mates joined and seemed to enjoy themselves.

I must confess to being a little confused.

You mention an original intent to joining the RAF but opted instead to join a "military company". Short of joining an Infrastructure Service Provider, I can't think of a civvy company that aligns to the RE. I can think of several that would align to REME though.

You describe yourself as having an "engineering" education/background/role but don't say anything about already being an electrician. What sort of engineering? Not all types of engineering come within the remit of RE. I ask this because I'd like to know what you'll be bringing to the party.

Most AR electricians will bring civvy skills with them. Few, if any, will have learned their basic skills from the AR. There's a very simple reason for this - a civvy electrician will likely have served an apprenticeship to get his ticket and that will likely have involved a day a week of study and 4 days per week of skivvying as he builds up experience, most likely a two year process. The AR trains at weekends so you'd be looking at 5 years worth of weekends to build up the necessary time. Add in that the AR doesn't train every weekend and some of the weekends will be for other purposes - so it would likely take 20-30 years to become qualified (IF the AR ran a course and I doubt that they do).

If you're looking to become a sparky, start an apprenticeship. You could join the AR as a means to fulfil your desire to serve and to top up your meagre apprenticeship income. I'd suggest that joining the AR as a means to gaining a sparky's ticket is a non-starter.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Avoid 135 RE Geo as not much real Geo work done in the Reserves.
131 Sqn has some good people, do AACC and crack on with a good career.

foxs_marine

War Hero
Greetings,

I am hoping to find out as much information as I can with regards to the above. Some background on myself - I was in the process to join the RAF and was then offered a job with a military company. This meant being able to live close to home and a better living, work/life balance for my family etc. I am at the older end with regards to age (31), and my motivation to join is that I still have an ambition to serve.

As I am in an engineering role and come from an engineering education/background, the Royal Engineers is the logical and best choice for me I believe. With everything going as I hope, I’d like to become a sparky first and foremost and then in the longer term - possibly look to become a Royal Engineer Commando.

If there is anyone who can help, I would appreciate any honest, useful advice (or reality check if more appropriate!) as well as having further questions.

Thanks for any and all advice that you can give as its much appreciated.
May I suggest you look at the closer units to you and attend.

pick a nearby unit that you want to attend.

don't get tied up by Gucci roles.

foxs_marine

War Hero
Has been for many years.
I'm not sure if he still Typpexes his name on his kit, though...
Not seen him for years, last seen at Davies Strasse on Remembrance Day in 20..?

chimera

LE
You will not be able to get a high end artisan trade like Electrician through the RE Army Reserve. The training requirement is just too big to be done part time, and Sapper Reserve soldiers and units are not dual combat/artisan roled in the same way as the Regulars.

But if you have an engineering background, you will enjoy being a RE Reservist, although as a poster above says, the AR will be as much looking to use you existing skills as give you more.

Leo93

Crow
Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this so apologies!

I've just been accepted for an interview at 170 Infrastructure and support in Nottingham.

I currently work in civvy life as a civil engineer. Will there be much scope to learn other avenues in the AR, or will they just want to use what I already know?

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I've just been accepted for an interview at 170 Infrastructure and support in Nottingham.

I currently work in civvy life as a civil engineer. Will there be much scope to learn other avenues in the AR, or will they just want to use what I already know?

Thanks!
Paging @putteesinmyhands to the thread!

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
they'll want you for your skills mate.

what are your current KSE vs intersests?

You will get some benefits from 170 ie networking and going away on civil engineering projects(I think I was shown pictures of a harbour rebuild in haiti).

if you want the reserves to be a bit 'different' as a hobby then you could try other units/cap badges.

are you in nottingham? Eod search are next door. You also have artillery, int, signals, infantry, and cavalry(at least) in the area. And support trades in those units, or chefs, clerks, etc.

Leo93

Crow
they'll want you for your skills mate.

what are your current KSE vs intersests?

You will get some benefits from 170 ie networking and going away on civil engineering projects(I think I was shown pictures of a harbour rebuild in haiti).

if you want the reserves to be a bit 'different' as a hobby then you could try other units/cap badges.

are you in nottingham? Eod search are next door. You also have artillery, int, signals, infantry, and cavalry(at least) in the area. And support trades in those units, or chefs, clerks, etc.
Thanks mate. What do you mean by KSE?

Ideally I wanted it to be a bit different but still similar if that makes sense? I ideally wanted to try things I'd never get to do in the 'real' world, such as adventurous training etc?

Would I get that? Im based in Leicester, but have an interview set up at 170 for an officer position.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
They put me through SMSTS at Chatham which is worth a few bob - during which we put in a few hours overtime to become accredited as RECSSA (Royal Engineers Construction Site Safety Advisor). This is the passage to promotion to Clerk of Works. Unfortunately, because it's organised through the Regulars and they tend not to hold post for more than 5 years, there isn't (wasn't) provision to renew.

Otherwise, formal learning of new skills is unlikely but don't underestimate the broadness of CPD. Presuming that things haven't changed since I retired, one weekend per year is devoted to SHEF (Safety, Health, Environment and Fire), where you'll be updated on H&S developments, often in advance of the changes reaching the wider industry - the course was run by senior H&S professionals (all members of 170) from varied disciplines.

You'll also get to see how construction is done in other countries - works on British bases have to comply with UK legislation but the locally employed civilians will try to incorporate local practices.

You'll also be working with other disciplines, probably much more closely than you experience in civvy street, and this rubs off. You won't earn a degree in Electrical Engineering but you'll gain an appreciation of how stuff works and what provisions a Civil Engineer needs to make. It's maybe particularly useful for stuff like demolition (the civvy sort, not big bangs) where you'll become aware of some of the dangers that aren't taught at university. From my perspective, it teaches you when to look for somebody who knows better. Without that appreciation, there's a risk that you'll unwittingly exceed your ability. All in all, it makes you a better Engineer.

The other beauty is that it's all real-life. At Annual Camp, you'll be undertaking real tasks as your training, not going through a DS-supervised mock-up. You'll have time constraints that many civvies would consider impossible but you'll do it. You'll produce reports to a much higher standard than you'll find in civvy street and gain experience of dealing with stake-holders who may have unrealistic desires - telling a general that he can't have what he wants but here's something different that fulfils your needs and, crucially, falls within your budget so theres a good chance that MoD will authorise payment. It'll likely be a SSgt (Clerk of Works) who (tactfully) tells the general to come down from cloud cuckoo land.

If you're not already aware, an Army Clerk of Works is not the same as a civilian Clerk of Works. But that's another story and better explained verbally within your unit.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!
While your skills may be welcome in the RE, one of the good things about the AR is that you can to a decent amount plough your own furrough - you may have a desire to do XYZ, and if there is a course available to Reservists Sappers, your unit should be able to get you on it.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking the AR will only want you for your day job...

I ideally wanted to try things I'd never get to do in the 'real' world, such as adventurous training etc?
Well, there's skiing. Or sailing in Cyprus or Gibraltar. But civvies do those on a regular basis.

How about diving off Ascension Island or the Falklands?

No guarantees but blokes in my Team did these. It's very much a case of being in the right place at the right time, latching onto another unit.

Latest Threads