Royal Engineers Regiments...

#1
I've decided I want a job in the Royal Engineers, the question I have is are you able to choose which regiment you want to join up with?

I see 28 Regiment has the 42 Squadron which works with the combat side of the Army also, which is what I want.

Would I be able to choose this and be apart of 42 Squadron?

Thanks guys.
 
#3
Lol so out of the 3 you can choose, they will pick the two you didn't want, and decide out of them ha.

Would I need to choose a certain trade to be able to go for 28 Regiment? What trade would be the best, I don't mind which trade I do in the army you see.
 
#4
two choices.......germany or uk..... a certain staffy at gib will pick for you if you take too longto decide.. Likes to crack shit jokes and in general be a pr*ck
 
#5
GMan187 said:
Lol so out of the 3 you can choose, they will pick the two you didn't want, and decide out of them ha.

Would I need to choose a certain trade to be able to go for 28 Regiment? What trade would be the best, I don't mind which trade I do in the army you see.
At the end of the day the Army will put you where THEY NEED YOU posting preference or not.

It's all down to your trade and quals.

Your input is not really taken into account, sounds harsh but that's the way it has been since Knocker was a centurion.
 
#6
see also here....

Linky
 
#9
GMan187 said:
I've decided I want a job in the Royal Engineers, the question I have is are you able to choose which regiment you want to join up with?

I see 28 Regiment has the 42 Squadron which works with the combat side of the Army also, which is what I want.

Would I be able to choose this and be apart of 42 Squadron?

Thanks guys.
28 are no different to any other Engineer Regiment except they have the amph rigs. Even if you get 28 as your 1st posting (their in Germany so good place for a red arse to start out) you'll only be there for 5 years then you get posted to another unit.

I'm guessing you saw this
42 Field Squadon
42 Field Squadron provide the combat and construction engineer capability so vital to current operational success, as they ably demonstrated during their deployment on Operation HERRICK V, providing close support to 3 Commando Brigade.
on 28's page on the army.mod.uk website?

Support to 3 Cdo Bde is now supplied by the RE Cdo Regt that was formed up last year. If you want a green lid request to go to 24 Engr Regt or if you want to jump out of planes ask for 23
 
#10
28 Engr Regt is in Hameln, it is the only Regt in the area. The river Wesser runs through it and it is home to the Pied Piper. The NAAFI is really crap.
 
#11
caerwyn13 said:
28 Engr Regt is in Hameln, it is the only Regt in the area. The river Wesser runs through it and it is home to the Pied Piper. The NAAFI is really crap.
But the town is good, the little I remember
 
#12
This commando course for the Royal Engineers... does anyone know what it involes? It just says 9 week course on the website.

Also, if I was to to basic, then combat engineer, then trade... instead of going to a unit or regiment, I could choose to do the commando course straight after the trade training?
 
#13
Don't know what your asking there mate. The way it works is;

Phase 1 training - at Bassingbourne or Winchester

Phase 2 training - B3 (qualifies you as a Combat Engineer) at Gibralter Barracks (Gib) in Camberley

Followed by your trade training - Stay at Gib for CIS (signals)

Tankie - Bovington, Driver - Leconsfield, All other trades - Chatham.

At start of Gib you say your prference of UK North, Uk South or Germany them get a posting order telling you where your going towards the end of your training. You can also request to do the All Arms Commando Course then serve with 24 or the Para course and go to 23 Engr Regt
 
#15
Cool, will request that no doubt.

Just this last question really...

I know the Army will post me where needed, and I respect that and obviously do that, but which trade will see most of the action, I don't expect for example a sparky to see much action compared to others...

When I say action I mean patrols, ops, stuff like that.

Or is it no matter what trade you go for, it doesn't matter you'll still get the same amount of combat as all the other trades??
 
#16
The way things are nowdays any trade will get you 'action'

We're all Combat Engineers 1st and tradesmen second. Last time I was on Herrick when I went to try and find my lod mates when I was stuck in Brigade HQ for a day I was told all the signallers were stood to by the main gate as they were the QRF.

Ops are that intense at the mo its all hands to the pump. Even Chefs and Clerks are having to do their fair share on rooftops etc
 
#17
GMan187 said:
When I say action I mean patrols, ops, stuff like that.

Or is it no matter what trade you go for, it doesn't matter you'll still get the same amount of combat as all the other trades??
I thought the same as you, but after two Telic tours and two Afghan tours I came to the conclusion getting shot at is a really shit idea.
 
#18
flutedbarrel said:
GMan187 said:
When I say action I mean patrols, ops, stuff like that.

Or is it no matter what trade you go for, it doesn't matter you'll still get the same amount of combat as all the other trades??
I thought the same as you, but after two Telic tours and two Afghan tours I came to the conclusion getting shot at is a really s*** idea.
Haha, it's an experience though! Plus would bring you and your friends closer I guess.

What do you do in the Army?
 
#20
I haven't done a tour as yet but I don't really need to be able to tell you getting shot at isn't much fun.maybe it's just me LOL
 

Latest Threads

Top