Royal Engineers National Units

Hi all,

I am looking at moving to Dorset in October for work (I'm a Civil Engineer) and this will coincide with getting a bit more freedom from my previous job. As a result, I was looking at joining the Army Reserve, which I've wanted to do for quite a while. Given my Civil Engineering career and degree, I was thinking about joining the Royal Engineers, however, in coastal Dorset (Weymouth/Bournemouth, where I'm probably going to be renting), there are no RE units. The closest RE unit to me is 131 Commando Squadron in Bath, which is still up to two hours' drive.

With that in mind, are there any national units available within the Royal Engineers that I could join? Would I be able to join 131 Commando, but due to the distance I would have to travel, be allowed to serve a reduced number of training nights, perhaps?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
170 Engineer Group might be just what you're looking for:

Hi all,

I am looking at moving to Dorset in October for work (I'm a Civil Engineer) and this will coincide with getting a bit more freedom from my previous job. As a result, I was looking at joining the Army Reserve, which I've wanted to do for quite a while. Given my Civil Engineering career and degree, I was thinking about joining the Royal Engineers, however, in coastal Dorset (Weymouth/Bournemouth, where I'm probably going to be renting), there are no RE units. The closest RE unit to me is 131 Commando Squadron in Bath, which is still up to two hours' drive.

With that in mind, are there any national units available within the Royal Engineers that I could join? Would I be able to join 131 Commando, but due to the distance I would have to travel, be allowed to serve a reduced number of training nights, perhaps?

No - you cannot be excused attending the required training due to distance.
Look for what is available near you, pick the one that gives the best vibe, enjoy that for a few years.
Your day job and Degree will not be wasted and it may give a nice change from Civ Eng.

If in a few years you move area - you can transfer Units, and there may be an RE Unit nearby.

Many people on this Website have served in more than one Regt or Corps.

Hi all,

Have you considered commisioning?

aed78973

Swinger
Joining 170 group will mean you'll use your civil eng skills and you aren't expected to go to drill nights as its a national unit. It's a lesser commitment of 19 days per year as you don't have drill nights.

You will still have to do the required basic training and following annual training however. I think the closest for your basic training to you might be Exeter.

They recruit from all over the country. Also you don't necessarily need to commission to use your civ eng skills for 170.

There'll be an email address on their facebook page/the army unit finder. They're a good organisation, just need to get your basic training out the way and you're golden. Note medicals can take a several months to sort, so don't expect to start for a for a while at least. Good luck pal.

Latest Threads