Royal Engineers - Carpenter & Joiner

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Morning_Parade, Mar 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, im hoping to join the RE but am stuck on which trade to go for, i understand you might not always use your trade that much, but my concern is qualifications gained.

Does anybody know how the good the qualifications gained from Carpentry are, has anyone been, or know anybody to do carpentry in the RE and leave and been able to find a decent job in carpentry?

Also, are any driving licenses gained from this trade?

Thanks

2. I am currently working as a joiner in the merseyside area , however Ihave been out for ten years now and reading other posts it seems the quals levels have changed .

3. Things will have changed since I left in 97 ,but yes I did do my trade while I was in ,all depends on what tours your on as well ,

I got City and Guilds Craft certificate from my coarse as I only did my A2 but you can go on to do your A1 and even clerk of works,

Also I did get a job based on my trades (civvy plumber before I joined up)and now work for one of the biggest social housing landlords in the country

As for driving Licences I was told as it was not trade specific I would have to pay for them myself
    Hope this helps , I'm sure the lads who are still in the loop will advise a more up to date view

One thing to remember if you do decide on chippying as your trade ---------------- Jesus's step dad was one :wink:

4. Maybe you should worry about getting into the army, instead of getting out into civvy street - before you've even been in?

You will get your licenses in the army, don't worry about that, and there is plenty of other things to do apart from your primary trade!

5. Thanks for the answers, i know what you mean by aiming to get into the army first, but one of the main reasons people go for RE is so they have the trade to fall back on in civvy street, so my worry was wether or not Carpentry would give me a good enough qualification to fall back on or not.

Could anyone here tell me roughly how long the application process takes, from handing in the application form - to starting training?

Thanks again

6. Thanks for the answers, i know what you mean by aiming to get into the army first, but one of the main reasons people go for RE is so they have the trade to fall back on in civvy street, so my worry was wether or not Carpentry would give me a good enough qualification to fall back on or not.

Could anyone here tell me roughly how long the application process takes, from handing in the application form - to starting training?

Thanks again

7. Thanks for the answers, i know what you mean by aiming to get into the army first, but one of the main reasons people go for RE is so they have the trade to fall back on in civvy street, so my worry was wether or not Carpentry would give me a good enough qualification to fall back on or not.

Thanks again

8. good enough for jesus' dad!!!!

9. I'm applying as a bricklayer.. hope to
    start in september.

still waiting on my medical resluts to get back.

10. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Read the quals gained from the Army website. You get modules towards a Level 2 NVQ, you then have to provide work based experience to gain the full NVQ you also should get an Intermediate Construction Award in Wood Occupations and a CITB Health and Safety Theory Test.

Here is the link:

Linky as you cant be bothered to look for it yourself......

12. is no-one else getting a bit annoyed that our glorious corps is gettin full of trade hunters and not port drinking euchre players..

13. Im not 'trade hunting'. Seeing as i would have the oppurtunity to gain a trade in the RE i might aswell at least find a bit of info about them before hand, did the 'port drinking euchre players..' just pick a trade out of a hat then?!

14. most of us had a trade and the at Gib the PSO waved his magic hand....!! I couldnt even begin to reccommend a good unit to ask for people bout C&J as to be honest i really havent come across any!!

15. Do you get you driving licenses paid for? What about motorbikes? just wondering...