Royal engineers Band

Hi

I am wondering if it is possible to join the Royal Engineers, learn a trade ie Bricklayer, and participate in the band and learn to play an instrument in spare time?

Any help would be appreciated.

geeman88 said:
Hi

I am wondering if it is possible to join the Royal Engineers, learn a trade ie Bricklayer, and participate in the band and learn to play an instrument in spare time?

Any help would be appreciated.
Geeman, for a sensible answer NO!
The band are not real Engineers but are 'owned' by the Corps Of Army Music. They are "professional" musicians and not Engineer tradesmen.

I’m sure you can find somewhere to play music or you can be a real Engineer. :D

Stretcher noddy bogbrush? :?

The only place the Corps cipher (the squiglly RE thing) appears in uniform is on the RE Band's fanfare trumpet flags. There's no real reason to post that except that I've never had reason to tell anyone before. :)

I for one loved the Corps Band.

Especially when we marched through Ripon every summer in 2s, with bayonets fixed trying to look nails, and the band played Nelly the fcukin elephant or some shoite like mambo no 5! cheers lads!!!

RIGRAT said:

Especially when we marched through Ripon every summer in 2s, with bayonets fixed trying to look nails, and the band played Nelly the fcukin elephant or some shoite like mambo no 5! cheers lads!!!
Not sure about mambo No 5, but marched past the dias in the Market Square a couple of times with the Corps Band playing Wings and Chief Royal taking the salute. Nice place to be Ripon!

Yep, the band are good - wings etc is always great to listen too whilst your waitingon parade etc, no too sure about some of the modern stuff they try to knock together! Can be amusing to say the least...

Tangent time - watched the HDiv Beating Retreat last night. The centrepiece of their display ..... Dr Fcuking Who !.

chimera said:
RIGRAT said:

Not sure about mambo No 5, but marched past the dias in the Market Square a couple of times with the Corps Band playing Wings and Chief Royal taking the salute. Nice place to be Ripon!
Agreed.

whiffler said:
Tangent time - watched the HDiv Beating Retreat last night. The centrepiece of their display ..... Dr Fcuking Who !.
on another tangent, a mate of mine who was on course at chatham, shortly before deploying on op telic, tried to get some desert kit issued as his unit had allready gone.

Was denied! all the dessy kit was reserved for the band apparently haha.

RIGRAT said:
whiffler said:
on another tangent, a mate of mine who was on course at chatham, shortly before deploying on op telic, tried to get some desert kit issued as his unit had allready gone.

As the only unit from Chatham that deployed on Telic, what is so remarkable about that?

Apart from a unit on Telic getting dessies of course!! (I didn't)

Tubs

Tubbyboy said:
RIGRAT said:
whiffler said:

As the only unit from Chatham that deployed on Telic, what is so remarkable about that?

Tubs
We mainly ripped the pyss out of him, I never realised there were any deployable units at 1 regt, thought it was mostly a training unit.

RIGRAT said:
Tubbyboy said:
RIGRAT said:
whiffler said:

Tubs
We mainly ripped the pyss out of him, I never realised there were any deployable units at 1 regt, thought it was mostly a training unit.
It is, apart from the band.

According to some of my mates there was some jealousy when the "bandy poofs" came back off Telic...

Tubs

There was time when you could be a Combat Engineer (JL) in training and still be a member of one of the Corps BANDS!

But that was a very long time ago when K13 was a minnow :oops:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wingy24 Army Pay, Claims & JPA 1
D Sappers 24
Clerk_of_Jerks Sappers 2