Royal Engineers as a reservist carpenter?

Hello everyone,
I am interested in joining the RE as a reservist. I am an ex crab airframe fitter, did twelve years and left in 2009. My nearest unit is 71 Engineers at Leuchars. I have tried going through the Army recruitment portal but I gather they are having difficulties at the moment so I thought I'd pick the brains of ARRSE. I'm really interested in becoming a carpenter/ Joiner as I really enjoy that element of construction. I have considerable experience at it but no tickets, so my question is; is it possible to train in a reserve capacity to become a unit chippy? I can take a career break to undertake the training (I currently work as a wind farm tech for SSE) and I am genuine in my desire to get stuck in for as long as they'll have me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Polyester.

Hello everyone,
I am interested in joining the RE as a reservist. I am an ex crab airframe fitter, did twelve years and left in 2009. My nearest unit is 71 Engineers at Leuchars. I have tried going through the Army recruitment portal but I gather they are having difficulties at the moment so I thought I'd pick the brains of ARRSE. I'm really interested in becoming a carpenter/ Joiner as I really enjoy that element of construction. I have considerable experience at it but no tickets, so my question is; is it possible to train in a reserve capacity to become a unit chippy? I can take a career break to undertake the training (I currently work as a wind farm tech for SSE) and I am genuine in my desire to get stuck in for as long as they'll have me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Polyester.
I'm currently serving in a Reserve Royal Engineers unit. Basically after phase 1 you do the combat engineers course at Minley. It is after this you are able to do artisan courses. From my understanding. alot of these courses are done with the regulars and therefore would require a career break for a certain period of time. Not sure how hard each individual courses are to get onto. BUt I regularly see them advertised by my unit. PM for any further questions.

Cheers maukjf,
That's really helpful, thank you. Taking a career break would be no problem for me. the trouble at the moment seems to be getting past the recruitment page, but I imagine that will get sorted soon. Short of that I'll just ring the PSI or staff at 71 and see if I can arrange a visit and a chat with them direct.

cheers

Polyester

Latest Threads