Royal Australian Navy Submarines to go Nuclear

You'd hope that lesson had been learned.....
I’ll be honest - you couldn’t pay me enough to serve in the RAN. There’s a very good reason why they’re short of experienced Senior Rates and mid-seniority Officers…

Dread

LE
An ex-Oz Navy Lt works just up the road from me. He was in the engineering branch. While he loves his old ship and mates, he hated the service as being utterly devoid of humour, and management who appeared determined to ensure that no fun was had by anyone at any time.

Such a shame too, after such a professional and well-delivered response to some truly astonishing questions from a senate committee by an admiral:

She is exactly why - my carrer plateaus at team leader and i will never be in a seior position

See how he deftly fields her questions repeatedly explains the same point and patiently answers the nest bone comment - note also the tactful dissmissal of the 20 minutes max submerged -

Me - Ive asked if shes ignoring me, deaf, or just feckin stupid by at best half way through that video and the chances are I wasnt that polite. I lack the ability to tactfully deal with idiots in an unoffensive manner.

On the upside - Arrse proves im not alone

You would think Australia would have gone for solar powered subs.
Would the solar panels go on the front of the boat?

They have a problem down there with the front of the boat falling off in that environment.

There be the devil I the detail, but as well as the touted 'sharing' off nuclear tech and support, I'd expect a quid pro quo of this will be the permanent basing of USN SSN's in Oz along with the support infrastructure. Chinese will have an absolute fit if that happens
Thats the real point I suspect .
The Aussie barracuda 'vectored thrust' or whatever D/E sub project made the British AFV fiasco look good . The YouTube clip is excruciating.

Cue 12 months of every SM rating declaring that “I could leave, get my rate and £10000000 per year for TXing to Aus.”

Gerroff. You can work from home. Here's your works broadband.

Fedaykin

Old-Salt
Can they supprt a nuc fleet

I was under the impression the UK and to an extent France can do so as they can lever off their existing civil nuclear power industry and this was a nail in the coffin of any Ambition Oz had in that direction

That being said if its gen - dont feck around Bruce - just licence build the Astute class
In the announcement they made it clear that Australia wasn't going to setup a domestic civil nuclear power industry to support this new class of SSN. So they will be closely locked into US and UK support for refuelling of these submarines.

My guess they will be keen on a derivative of the Virginia class, there will be good opportunities for the UK to supply sub systems and help with the reconfiguration of an Australian build yard for the assembly of nuclear boats.

riksavage

War Hero
The French have gone nuclear and accused the Yanks and Brits of stabbing them in the back. Perfidious Albion, nasty Anglo-Saxon’s doing what they do best. French politicians have erupted in a Twitter frenzy of anti ‘Roast Beefness’

Time for the Aussies to sign up for Tempest along with the Japoons

The French have gone nuclear and accused the Yanks and Brits of stabbing them in the back. Perfidious Albion, nasty Anglo-Saxon’s doing what they do best. French politicians have erupted in a Twitter frenzy of anti ‘Roast Beefness’

Time for the Aussies to sign up for Tempest along with the Japoons
The redesign of the French boat was looking horrendous with costs soaring. To be honest I thought Australia would go back to the French and tell them to put the kettle back. Especially given the recently announced closer ties between France and Australia.

Way back when Australia first announced they were going to replace the Collins class there was a rumour running around that the US was offering leases on some of their boats but then the offer was taken off the table. I would love to know just what has got Australia all hot and bothered about China to the extent they have gone back on decades of stating that Australia doesn't need boats with kettles.

I would love to know just what has got Australia all hot and bothered about China to the extent they have gone back on decades of stating that Australia doesn't need boats with kettles.

According to my Australian brother there has been general unhapiness with China for quite some time in Australia and China has long been viewed as a serious threat.
It has apparently been brewing for quite a while but Chinese territorial expansion in the South China Sea is being viewed with serious suspicion

riksavage

War Hero
The redesign of the French boat was looking horrendous with costs soaring. To be honest I thought Australia would go back to the French and tell them to put the kettle back. Especially given the recently announced closer ties between France and Australia.

Way back when Australia first announced they were going to replace the Collins class there was a rumour running around that the US was offering leases on some of their boats but then the offer was taken off the table. I would love to know just what has got Australia all hot and bothered about China to the extent they have gone back on decades of stating that Australia doesn't need boats with kettles.
If you need range and speed, you have no choice but to go Nuclear. A Nuclear Boat has an 8-knot edge over a conventional submarine. If you bite the bullet and decide to go Nuclear then a Virginia or Astute class is the obvious choice and beats what the French can offer.

Plus dealing with the French is a nightmare, they're always right, you’re always wrong.

By joining the US and UK in the highest clearance level tech exchange means this deal goes way beyond nuclear subs.

Last edited:

Latest Threads