Royal Australian Navy Submarines to go Nuclear

hoofie

Clanker
Huge breaking news here in Australia late this evening.

Australia to get nuclear-powered submarines, will scrap $90b program to build French-designed subs

hoofie

Clanker
Apologies since I posted this in the Royal Navy Forum but I would suggest this is very big news from a Defence and geo-political standpoint.

Australia to get nuclear-powered submarines, will scrap $90b program to build French-designed subs​

This has only come out in the last hour here in Australia.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
are they doing it twice?

Can they supprt a nuc fleet

I was under the impression the UK and to an extent France can do so as they can lever off their existing civil nuclear power industry and this was a nail in the coffin of any Ambition Oz had in that direction

That being said if its gen - dont feck around Bruce - just licence build the Astute class

Well that should put Pauline Hansons fears about pump-jet subs only having a submerged capability of 20 minutes to rest :D

second only to her attempt to decide what was classified info (followed by a robust put down from a lady off camera)

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Now that's really going to put a fox among the Chinese pigeons!

Rab_C

LE
Oh dear.
I can expect huge amounts of howling from the Green lobby.
Didn't/doesn't Oz have a ban on nuke ships entering their harbours?
They did have a ban on nuclear weapons entering their harbours. During the bicentennial celebrations “special” weapons were just moved over to the RFA’s because they were civvy and therefore not asked to make any declarations.

I can expect huge amounts of howling from the UK industry and the RN.

In a world where BAES, Babcock, RR and a few others are hoovering up anyone who can spell nooculer and sending them to Barrow or Devonport, someone offering work down under (once the current craze for Covid avoidance has abated) will be a significant drain on a limited resource pool.

Likewise, RN nuclear engineering billets might get harder to fill......

In a world where BAES, Babcock, RR and a few others are hoovering up anyone who can spell nooculer and sending them to Barrow or Devonport, someone offering work down under (once the current craze for Covid avoidance has abated) will be a significant drain on a limited resource pool.

Lots more drives for Perisher grads who don’t get beyond an XO role in the RN..

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs

There be the devil I the detail, but as well as the touted 'sharing' off nuclear tech and support, I'd expect a quid pro quo of this will be the permanent basing of USN SSN's in Oz along with the support infrastructure. Chinese will have an absolute fit if that happens

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
"But Australia's embrace of nuclear-powered submarines will have its political and technological challenges, given there is no domestic nuclear industry."

Only if you've never been to ANSTO. Plenty of interesting applied and fundamental nuclear stuff going on there.

bob231

War Hero
I'd be willing to bet that it will mean Oz Marine Engineers being trained either here or in the States, given they will have no facility for training reactor drivers.

Will likely turn on whose reactor they buy, although their crewing model probably looks far more like ours...

I wonder if we’ll allow the RAN to place adverts in Navy News…

Assuming this means we might sell them some boats, can we make sure the instructions leaflet includes keeping the hatches shut while at sea? #Chicoutimi