royal artillery

Spanish Dave

I think it was Capt Bradbury with L Battery RHA at Nery made that sterling call. Of course, I could be (and probably am) wrong.

stay away from air defence its a dieing trade

uav is a big thing at the moment if you want to go on ops 32 regt is one of the most active regiments in the army at the moment.

Kinda hijacking the thread, I am thinking of joining 29 regt as an officer. What are the less obvious pros and cons of this?

Many thanks,

ducki

are you on about joining 29 as your first tour as an officer?

are you on about joining 29 as your first tour as an officer?
yes I am

Do it duck I did 17 years in 29 and a better grounding in artillery you won't get!! Operational tours galore as well.

Plus Plymouth for a rupert is one of the best postings in the army however bear in mind you could end up in Arbroath too

Meiktilaman, at the risk of repeating this conversation on every gunner or commando gunner thread - Arbroath is a good posting - especially if your idea of leisure is either "up the munroes" or "party in a big city (Glasgow/Edinburgh). Also 45 are good eggs and have some of the best AT in the Army..erm..Navy? Well its there on the doorstep.

Also when 7 come down to the citadel, there is an understanding that there will be no sleep 'til Scotland!

Thanks guys, i was also thinking of going to Meiktila if i get a captaincy, although im still not sure about that.... will have to wait and see about that one.

Cuddles said:
Meiktilaman, at the risk of repeating this conversation on every gunner or commando gunner thread - Arbroath is a good posting - especially if your idea of leisure is either "up the munroes" or "party in a big city (Glasgow/Edinburgh). Also 45 are good eggs and have some of the best AT in the Army..erm..Navy? Well its there on the doorstep.

Also when 7 come down to the citadel, there is an understanding that there will be no sleep 'til Scotland!
Unlikely to happen in our lifetime Cuddles they trying this for years

what you have to bear in mind is that there is generally only one slot to 29 for each YOs' course (this may fluctuate, some courses may have none), and competition will be stiff. So going there as a first tour is a one in twenty chance!!

Really? Hmmm, what regiment(s) would you recomend to a YO for a first tour?

Every Regiment has it's own selling point. It would be unfair of me to single out a particular Regiment (having only served in three of them, all close support). YOs are given numerous briefs and heaps of advice once they start their course. It would be down to you to make your choice on what you see and hear. The Officers and soldiers at Larkhill are outstanding at giving their own views on their parent Regiments and this goes a long way in assisting the YOs with their decision. If you do attend the YOs' course you will be fully prepared to make that choice.

At the end of the day, you will be an Officer in The Royal Regiment, and it doesn't get any better than that!!