Royal Artillery Potential Officer Courses

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Maveric789, Apr 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is my first post on this forum.
    I didn't entirely know where to put this topic so i decided to place it into the recruitment section. Considering it is geared towards potential officers.

I was inquiring into wether anyone else had attended the following courses and could give me any feedback of infomation having just applied myself.

Into equipment needed, activities and generally how helpful the course was.

The following courses are:
    Schoolboy Commando Course
    Multi Activity Adventure Training
    Watersports.

Cheers guys i look forward to your feedback. :D

2. msr

msr LE

weather, whether or wether?

3. not sure, never been great at my grammer :(

4. msr

msr LE

Can I recommend that you look at your spelling too?

msr

5. i don't mind my spelling and grammer being nit-picked but can i have some more relevant posts :D

6. msr

msr LE

If you can't get the basics right, then there may not be a glittering future ahead of you.

7. i have just edited my posts now can we can back to the more pressing topic.

8. The education system these days is just no good.Perhaps some Gunners on this forum,can at least get this guy started!

9. I don't get why people have to complain so much just about the odd spelling mistake or a simple grammatical error. I could understand it if he was talking txt speak or just being a general tw*t but it was a simple mistake. People come on here researching what could possibly be the best decision they've ever made and yet all they get is people jumping down their necks because they've spelt one word wrong or made one grammatical error. Rather than focusing on such a small detail, why not give the information that's being asked of, if you have it, or just keep quiet.

Sorry for spouting off but it's hardly fair when all people want is information.

Interviews:
    Pre-Selection:
    Selection:
    Basic Training:

Help4Heroes

10. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I can't help on the specifics of the RA course but once upon a time I did the Scots Div equivalent.

In terms of general usefulness, I found the course great. It was both a good personal preparation for things to come and a good introduction to the mentality of the profession - eye opening at times.

What ever you do, enjoy the course and make full use of it. It is a chance for you to see, admittedly a more fun side of activities and to make sure you will be happy going forward to join up.

Hopefully you will get more posts on the specifics now the **** crowd have shut up. Whatever happens, best of luck in the future.

11. It may seem pedantry and often it is, however lack of attention to detail can lead to disasters. For instance vague answers such as:

“There are your guns”

Perhaps if the young officer in question had been given stronger direction in his early years things might have been different.

YM

12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I'd suggest in this case, it is. These aren't YOs - they haven't signed up to be tested, they are simply interested in a career in the Forces and don't need knobs acting the snotty maggot and not giving them help with the information they seek.

These kids still have time to learn the polish - that is what training is about and they haven't started yet. It wouldn't harm some people here to unpucker their asses and try and act as if they are interested in helping recruiting along.

As to your example. What are you on? I take it the YO in question wasn't standing beside the guns at the time and required to give 6 fig grid reference to make it accurate enough for you? I'm sure he was damned for ever more for giving this (stupendously) inaccurate direction. :roll: No hope for him obviously............

13. All these courses are an excellent into. Having done the school boy Cdo Cse, I was tempted to join the Gunners. I then did the parachute course and had a great time.
    None of these course commit you, but they will intoduce you to the organisation you may wish to join. So give them a shot - you can do nothing but gain from them and you may actually have some fun (I had a shock on my Cdo Course that one of the DS had been on my school boy course!).

14. Do attempt to retain a sense of humour, there’s a good chap.

If you can't detect the tongue in check nature of my response then perhaps it time to call it a night.

YM

15. Ban this filth.