Royal Artillery Association

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by MADPIERRE16, Nov 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I go down to Whitehall most years for Rememberence Sunday, I dont march but stand and watch as lots of different associations and organisations march past.
    There is one big exeption: The R.A.A considering we were and maybe still are one of the largest Regiments/corps in the British army Why dont we march?

2. We aren't represented in Whitehall, as the RA Ceremony of Remembrance takes place at the same time at the RA War Memorial on Hyde Park Corner. Royal Artillery Association, Kings Troop RHA, RA Band, various "bigwigs" in other words the full monty.

Having said that< i will be attending 16 Regts on service on Front Parade at Woolwich!

3. Hyde park corner is the place to be for the Gunners, there is even a church service. Lots of high rankers though, DRA, Master Gunner to name a few. Loads of RAA there too.

4. Considering that the ceremony at Hyde Park Corner is not well known - even amongst our own fraternity - should HQ DRA not try and get the BBC to cover part of it along with the main TV coverage at the Cenotaph?

5. Drop-Short

I agree it would make a change for the "biggest" single Regiment/Corps service to be covered nationally.

It's a shame that more effort isn't put into this, there are continual cries for advertising the RAA and encouraging membership, surely this would be a step in the right direction.

6. Wellington Arch to be exact :wink:

Done a few Remembrance Parades there. Always made me proud when we brought Hyde Park Corner roundabout to a complete standstill.

7. Excellent parade, loads of old and bold and an impressive memorial.
    Remember doing it while permanent staff at Woolwich '87 to '90 and the big disagreement with RSM Black Adder. All about being entitled to wear a beret with the greatcoat and not a hats postman. At least you could tell us from everyone else on the photos.
    Wasn't allowed to do it the next year :( .

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I'll be there again this Sunday, and it is a rather good do.

Standing in the middle of Hyde Park Corner at 11.00 in total silence is
    quite an awesome experience, and brings a bit of dampness to the eye.

On a side point, why has the RAA not sent a plaque to the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey?

Almost all other Regiments seem to have done so, and official support at the RRA site looks a bit sparse to say the least.

However (despite having a tiny plot compared to some others) we appear to have done well (apologies for the quality- it was at 17.30 in the dark!!):

-edited for biff spelling!

Attached Files:

9. I was there as well, together with the General Shellard, RAA General Secretary, Membership Secretary, Membership Clerk, RASM Harvey. A number of members of Woolwich & Plumstead RAA also attended. But I also agree a RAA plaque would be a very good idea.

Would you like me to take this forward as a suggestion as I am Chairman of South London District?

10. Gremlin

OP_ACK, my thoughts, as such, are these (please pass on what you see as useful):

If you compare the RRA plot to similar size units at the FoR; ie RE, RSig, RLC, REME etc, then we have 1/4 to 1/2 the area size that they do.

We do not have, or do not seem to have, any official recognition from the RAA whatsoever and the whole thing looks a bit falorn and overcrowded, as a result of the large number of personal memorials.

What I would love to see is:

At a minimum;

A larger plot (there is plenty of space available.)

An official RRA or RAA plaque.

Nice to haves;

A plaque for/from each current regiment

A memoriam cross (seen on view at the FoR- large, black, poppies attached)
    for each member of the Regiment who has fallen that year

The HAC plot and the RRA plot should be sighted next to each other,
    vis-a-vis, 22 and 21(Artists) SAS, as many during the last war passed through one into the other.

All these are ideas gathered from other plots and should not be wildly
    expensive, but they would improve the site. After all did the RRA during the second war not match the size of the Royal Navy?

In summary, I think that we could and should do better.

Thanks for anything that you can do.

11. Gremlin

I will pass your comments on to Col Ian and see if anything can be done, they all seem very reasonable to me. In point of fact, on the day, there were so many RA crosses, that they had to open a second plot for us!!

Hopefully, we can get a larger one for next year.

12. Gremlin

Op_Ack

Sorry to drag up an old post, but has this been sorted out for this year?

13. Good Question Gremlin

Short Answer, I don't know, will try and find out.