Royal Army Reserve

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Purple_Emperor, Nov 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got a 'Royal Army Reserve' silver lapel badge which was found in some family effects. I was wondering whether anyone on here knew what the Royal Army Reserve was, how it differed from the TF and the usual Reserve (as I've not heard it named Royal before) and why they gave out silver hallmarked badges - a bit different from today's veterans' badge!
  2. Might it have been the badge that was dished out to civvies in WW1 so as to identify them as having joined up and awaiting training so as to avoid the dreaded white feather?

I believe that discharged injured servicemen were given a similar badge for the same reason.
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

There was indeed but it was inscribed 'For King & Country Services Rendered' Issued to officers and men who were discharged or retired from the military forces as a result of sickness or injury caused by their war service from Sept 1916 but extended to civilians working with the RAMC in 1918.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Is this it?

Attached Files:

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I used to have one of these badges which was issued to me, on request, when I joined the Regular reserve.

When I left regular colour service, I was placed on the regular reserve. I joined the Ta and came off the reserve and as I had gone past my regular reserve commitment of 3 years I volunteered to go back on the regular reserve after my TA service. I stayed on the reserve until my 50th birthday.

Somehow I heard about these badges and sent off for one which was duly sent to me. Not sure where I heard it from, but as this was pretty t'interweb time it was probably mentioned in the paperwork I got when I left Colour service.
  6. That's the one! Any thoughts on its provenance?
  7. So, presumably this was an attempt to make people stay in the militia as part of rearmament? When did the reserve stop being 'Royal'?
  8. This was as the, auld yin says If I remember you applied for them still got mine in a box with my dog tags