Royal armoured core

adam225

Clanker
I was going 1 royal anglian and my recruiter asked me if i was interested in armoured corps and just to have a look into the regiments .

actionman76

Old-Salt
As has been mentioned above there is 3 main Regiment types, Heavy Armour (Tanks), Light Armour (Recce CVRT / Scout Regiments)and Ligh Cav(Jackal), the last one being on wheels and HCMR. (Horses)

adam225

Clanker
Yea well i allready know the types at the moment i like thd look of The queens royal lancers , 9th /12th lancers , 1st dragon guards / royal tank regiment with the challengers

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Yea well i allready know the types at the moment i like thd look of The queens royal lancers , 9th /12th lancers , 1st dragon guards / royal tank regiment with the challengers
  • QRL and 9/12L are currently merging into one. I doubt there'll be that much room for new blood, even if 9/12L were permanently understrength.
  • As I understand it, QDG (1st, The Queens Dragoon Guards will shortly be moving to Swanton Morley in Norfolk to replace the Light Dragoons who are getting a home posting to Catterick. If (Edit: since you state you considered the Royal Anglians) you wanted a local posting, this could be good for you. Generally considered one of the more professional RAC regiments (along with the LD - no personal favouritism there at all, no sirree). The downside is they are Welsh and proud of it.
  • RTR are not cavalry. To quote an old saying, "If you ain't cav, you ain't." To paraphrase another, even older saying, "The purpose of cavalry in warfare is to bring style and panache to what would otherwise just be an ugly brawl." Not knocking RTR: I wanted to be a Chieftain crewman, then spent my time on CVR(T). Cavalry is where to be (and don't worry, unless you go Household Cavalry or really, really want to, you never need to go anywhere near a horse).
  • To quote an old army adage, "The best regiment in the whole army is the one you served with." Note the past tense. The regiment is what the people make it.
  • In the latest Regimental Journal of The Light Dragoons, the order of battle was put at something in the region of 325 heads. Even allowing for jokes about recruits from Middlesbrough doubling the headcount, the modern regiment is half the size it was in my day. I'd expect esprit de corps to be rock solid.
  • Whichever RAC regiment you join, you'll be in one of the top ten line regiments in the army.
I should have been a recruiter, me.

Last edited:

adam225

Clanker
Haha you would be good at it. I have a couple of friends in light dragoons they said there over maned as it stands and look into queen dragoons and kings hussars . I cant stand horses .

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Haha you would be good at it. I have a couple of friends in light dragoons they said there over maned as it stands and look into queen dragoons and kings hussars . I cant stand horses .
QDG certainly have the esprit de corps and will always tell you they're far and away the best (well they would) until you push them and they'll grudgingly admit the LD aren't shabby either. You could do worse than go QDG as long as you can put up with Welshmen. You could do far worse and go anything that isn't RAC.

King's Royal Hussars? See my main problem with them is they stole my regiment's name (15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars) when they merged in 1992.

As an admin of the 15/19H Facebook group (you'll not get in unless you or family served), I am regularly bothered by people asking about the other King's Royal Hussars.

Unfortunately, the amalgamations of the cavalry regiments through the last century almost warrant a book in their own right. If you're interested, search Wikipedia and elsewhere for the current regiments. You'll find out who they were merged from and can track them back. Apart from the current round, 9/12L and QRL and the two RTRs, the last round was 1992 and it was major.

There were a few amalgamations in the 60s.

Unusually there was no cull of the regular cavalry in 1945, in order to feed the golden age of the Cold War, though some cavalry regiments, restored during the Second, were disbanded again, as prior to 1919, had happened after every war. 1919 was the other major period of amalgamation.

adam225

Clanker
I think im going to ask my recruiter about RDG and RTR can they tell me possabilty of getting a
Place. I die my selection on the 16th of last month i got a High b 1.5 mile time is 9:30 but found i have a lazy left eye that cannot be correct. I was set to go to catterick on 15th of February and they rung me yesterday with armour core options