Royal Anglians in Combat

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tomahawk6, Jun 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The performance of British troops in Afghanistan is simply awesome. The Royal Anglians have killed 600 enemy since April which no doubt have the taliban not wanting to tangle with the squaddies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/06/wafg106.xml

2. Good going lads.

Certainly pouring the rounds down range.
    Why is this?
    Are the Taleban posing a larger threat now than previously?
    Or are we now 'taking the fight to them' so to speak, being much more active in drawing them out into larger battles.
    Or are the Anglians simply, not very good shots? :D
    Im certainly not qualified to comment just curious as to what othes think.

3. NATO has taken an aggressive posture with regard to the Taliban in Helmand. These operations seem to have short circuited the Taliban spring offensive. Offense is always the best defense as we see in Afghanistan.

4. I have seen some reports of what must have been "mildly warm" situations. Pleasing to note that the "allied" forces mentioned here in the USA, are a County regiment like the Anglians (No disrespect meant to the Para's).
    The Talliban seem to have had a bit of a thumping. I hope that they did not return the compliment too well (No mention is ever made here of British casualties).

5. As a one time Anglian myself I'll admit to a proud tear in my eye. Actually the Vikings traditionally have a pretty good record for markmanship, along with the WFR. With both deployed out there here's hoping to seeing some good progress and a lasting difference out there.

Unfortunately they have sustained casualties on this task. Listed at the bottom of the telegraph article. RIP lads.

6. to all extremely brave service personnel in Afghanistan,my heartfelt thanks for preventing, through your courageous actions ,the Taleban/Al queda from turning their attention to indiscriminately attacking Britain
    which one of their spokesman said they would undoubtably do given the chance.My thoughts are constantly with you all for your safe return

7. I like the quote from a RM:

"We've tried peacekeeping, and that didn't work."

"We've tried hearts and minds, and that didn't work."

"Now we're giving them a slapping. They'll listen to that."

8. Aye, and often very young too. The point is often made about the Vietnam conflict, that the troops were of a similar age, and as such, were ill suited to combat, recent experience has finally scotched that myth. If we gain nothing else from current operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, we will at least benefit from the collective experience of these lads for the next twenty odd years.
    Nice work fellas!

9. As an ex-Viking I too read this with pride.

When I was in the Bn shooting team we had two Queens Medal winners from Bisley. I would like to think that over the passage of thirty odd years the standard of shooting has been maintained.

I wish I was younger and back in action with the boys! Instead I have to be content with knocking a few pheasants out of the sky every now and again - and of course they don't fire back!

10. Great work lads, lets hope all stay as safe as they can be out there.

Thoughts are with 1 ANGLIANS, 1 WFR and 1 Gren Gds, and also with ALL the CS and CSS blokes as well.

11. Minden day August 1st. Will be even more reason than usual to wear the rose and raise a glass to the lads.

"The Battle began at 3 o'clock on the morning of 1st August 1759. Contades had a strong position behind marshes near the Weser River. Ferdinand - by exposing an apparent weak spot in his own lines - induced the Marshal to leave his position and to attack. For a time the fight was fairly even, the French striving to drive the allied troops off the field, the Allies vigorously maintaining the position.
    Ferdinand sent an order to Sporcken through an Aide de Camp that 'when the advance begins it is to be made with drums beating', as repeated to the Hanoverian General he took it to be 'Advance, drums beating with such Regiments as you have and attack anything in your front'. It was this misunderstanding which led to the action that 'covered the Minden Regiments with immortal honour', for to the surprise and consternation of the watching staff, the column started advancing by itself. Gallopers were at once sent to stop it. For a few minutes the column halted behind a thin belt of firs, but the battalions were burning to get on and suddenly stepped off like one man. Their march led them directly against the mass of French cavalry, and soon the column had out-stripped the support of its own guns and was exposed to the fire of 60 powerful French cannons.
    Over a distance of two hundred yards it calmly advanced through a storm of shot, the ranks steadily closing together as men were killed and wounded. Eleven squadrons of French cavalry hurled themselves against 'that astonishing infantry', but the column, remaining quiet until the horses were only ten paces off, received them with volley and bayonet. The cavalry were beaten off.
    This was the critical moment, Ferdinand sent one staff officer after another to General Lord George Sackville, who was commanding the British cavalry, vainly ordering him to charge but he would not move.
    Once more the French cavalry charged upon the solitary British column. Again they were met with perfect coolness and determination, and again - this time finally they were driven off the field. Still inexplicably, Sackville refused to charge, but by this time the rest of the allied infantry and artillery had caught up with the Column which had destroyed so great a part of the enemy's cavalry and the battle was won. Minden was surrendered the following day.
    Contades, having watched the ruin of the flower of his Army is said to have declared he had seen on this day what had never before been seen and which was impossible of belief, a single column of infantry break through three lines of cavalry, and four brigades of infantry, ranked in order of battle, and tumble them to ruin'."

Edited to go all misty eyed with a bit of proud regimental history

12. Well done lads, stay safe and return home.

13. Say what you like about marksmanship, but I bet a lot of that 400.000 round was fired from minimi's, GPMG and .50cal.

You can be the best shot in the world but if you takeing single aimed shot with a machinegun, your in the wrong place.

Keep going, and give 'em hell lads.

14. As an old "Viking" I watch with great pride and deep humility
    as the Battalion advances into the future maintaining the fine traditions of the past.

I curse the passage of years that keeps me from you.

Well done and good effort

Stabilis

15. 7500 rds per day average... :D Q boy earning his pay.

A few barrel changes there, I bet...