Royal Anglian Regiment

I notice that the ARRSE Wiki has the 3rd Battalions nickname listed as'THE Pompadours'(old 56th/Essex Regt.) However I was under the impression that post amalgamation the new T.A. Battalion took on the traditions of 'The Steelbacks'(ex58th/Northhamptonshires) can any one confirm this either way?

kangorrilapig said:
I notice that the ARRSE Wiki has the 3rd Battalions nickname listed as'THE Pompadours'(old 56th/Essex Regt.) However I was under the impression that post amalgamation the new T.A. Battalion took on the traditions of 'The Steelbacks'(ex58th/Northhamptonshires) can any one confirm this either way?
It has, the current 3rd battallion is the steelbacks. Old 3rd battalion the pompadours.

kangorrilapig said:
That refers to the old regular 3rd Battalion that was disbanded during options for change I beleive. The TA battalion was 7 Royal Anglian before the unfortunate East of England Regt b*llocks a few years back.

The 'new' Steelbacks took on elements of the 5th, 6th and 7th Battalions (shortly after my kit went over the wall).

kangorrilapig said:
sorted,thanks!
Greetings from an older Pompadour, nearly sorted, the 3rd battalion Royal Anglian Regiment was merged into the 1st and 2nd battalions during 1992, originally 3 East Anglian Regiment 1964, was made up from the old Essex Beds and Herts. Regiments 16/44 of foot.
The new 3 Royal Anglian is, as you rightly say the Steelbacks.
There are still a small number of Army cadet units badged Pompadours, in Essex Beds and Herts. I am told.
The RAR shout of (all the 4444s) come from the Pompadours.
See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trebor/links.html where the Pompadours live on!! Regimental March was Britania rules the waves!!

regards