Royal Anglian Regiment families to get new homes

Ministry of Defence said:
260 new homes are to be built in Bulford, Wiltshire, for soldiers from 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment, the Secretary of State for Defence, Dr Liam Fox, announced today.

More...

Ok so , 260 houses , contract worth 46,000,000 = approx 177,000 per house , now given that as per the report the existing homes already exist so the land costs nothing , though there will be demolition costs .
Are we paying the company that owns all the MOD housing stock to build new houses that they will own and collect the rent on ?

that'll be the Canadian estate that was condemned over 15 years ago, yet has recently had new rooves, and still houses numerous families!!

Its not just the patch. Picton/Kiwi Bks and Ward Bks are just building sites at the mo.

Most of the families are out of the Canadian estate now and a ground investigation team have been out taking soil samples. It's about time those houses got replaced, they are bloody awful. Little in the way of insulation, no double glazing and pretty run down. Depending on what type of design they chose it takes up to 12 weeks to construct a house. If they throw man power at the job it is achivable to get them in by next August but it will be a push.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Homes for Royal Anglian families - £46 million seems a lot for a Trailer Park!!

The cynic in me says to watch for an an announcement that the barracks will be sold off when the houses are nearing completion, throwing 260 new houses at the private market as an encouragement for developers to take over the site.

Hmm hardly seems cheap to me bet the builder was rubbing his hands when he signed that deal
I wonder if there is an ex officer on the board of whatever firm is being used.

Ok so , 260 houses , contract worth 46,000,000 = approx 177,000 per house , now given that as per the report the existing homes already exist so the land costs nothing , though there will be demolition costs .
Are we paying the company that owns all the MOD housing stock to build new houses that they will own and collect the rent on ?
£177,000 will build a timber frame (or brick and block) four bedroom house with detached garage and land...................someone is making a very tidy profit again!!!!!!!

In 1994 as my father was serving his final months as a WO1 living in the officer quarters at the other end of Bulford Camp they had to move us out a few months early as they were renovating all houses on the estate. They told my Dad we were to move in to a house on this estate (known appropriately as the Rabbit Hutches), he immediately went to see his OC and said "not on your nelly, sir. My wife, two kids and two dogs would never fit inside that house so I would like to be moved to a bigger house! ...Sir."
We moved into a much better sized house 275 metres away on Hampshire Close. A privilege of rank? :))

As the Army shrinks and as a further cost cutting measure I would like to see Regiments billeted in their main recruiting areas ......... eg, Royal Anglians in Anglia ... it would reduce home to duty problems and save on leave travel for the majority ............... I don't agree with 'super' garrisons though in the same way that I don't agree with having most of our warships in one home port ............. eggs and baskets spring to mind .... whilst I'm in a Merlot fueled mind, the thread shoud read ... in temporary new homes as I'm sure they will be moved on at some stage.
Reason for the Merlot? Great Grandfather for the 5 time!

As the Army shrinks and as a further cost cutting measure I would like to see Regiments billeted in their main recruiting areas ......... eg, Royal Anglians in Anglia ... it would reduce home to duty problems and save on leave travel for the majority ............... I don't agree with 'super' garrisons though in the same way that I don't agree with having most of our warships in one home port ............. eggs and baskets spring to mind .... whilst I'm in a Merlot fueled mind, the thread shoud read ... in temporary new homes as I'm sure they will be moved on at some stage.
Reason for the Merlot? Great Grandfather for the 5 time!
Only 5 Gt Grand Trip Hazards? You've got a long way to go yet mate.

£177,000 will build a timber frame (or brick and block) four bedroom house with detached garage and land...................someone is making a very tidy profit again!!!!!!!
sorry, bit of realism here!

does this include the landscaping, road works, new street lighting, footpaths, fencinig, etc etc, etc!

177k for new house on the hants/wilts border! assume they will be the usual mix of 2/3/4 beds. to be honest, not a lot of money and having just checked with our internal team who manage property investment deals, that is a pretty good value or in the words of one of the blokes "not to a very high spec for that amount!"

sorry, bit of realism here!

does this include the landscaping, road works, new street lighting, footpaths, fencinig, etc etc, etc!

177k for new house on the hants/wilts border! assume they will be the usual mix of 2/3/4 beds. to be honest, not a lot of money and having just checked with our internal team who manage property investment deals, that is a pretty good value or in the words of one of the blokes "not to a very high spec for that amount!"
Do the MOD already own the land? If so then 177k is very high.

Do the MOD already own the land? If so then 177k is very high.
if this is the area I am thinkting, then they should do. but you are working on the premise that all the cash is going on the house itself and nothing else! If you look at it from a "development" point of view, then no it isn't. I doubt they will all be 2u/2d cardboard boxes!

Could be wrong though and will watch with interest