Rowing

Right.

Just went down the gym, and rowed 6750mtrs in 30 minutes.

Im 5' 8''.

Just wondering how this compares to other peoples times, as im working on my fitness and like targets (ie i want to beat everyone else).

What kind of rowing machine is it and what level resistance did you have.

I'm ticking over at the moment, 5 11, 13 st 4.

I usually do 8k in 30 min on level 10 on the concept II rower

I do 5km in under 18mins, pb is 17.11 at my peak.

I'm 6ft and have done a lot of rowing, including racing at school/uni etc, we had good coaches.

Its all about technique. Slow and powerful and wind it up to fast and powerful. Get someone who rows to show you the correct style, it will knock minutes off and is more efficient in terms of improving fitness.

On the stroke: slide - body - arms (This means kick back with your legs keeping your back straight and arms out straight, when your legs are fully extended lean back and then pull your arms to your chest.

On the recovery: Arms - body - slide (Reverse of above)

Numbers: strokes per minute ~22; 1min 50 ave for 500m throughout row, if you go over 2mins pick it up.

Pick up the pace last 200m of every 1000m to spm~28-30; 500m~1min35.

God speed!

I do love watching muscly mongs at the gym on the ergo. No technique at all, and it's especially great when they get all competetive with actual rowers...

Maninblue - i know im slow, but i need to compare this against others.

Im quite sure its half because my techniques pants, and half because im a bit aerobically unfit.
Ive gone from lifting weights and practicing Krav Maga twice a week, to much more aerobic exercise, and im really enjoying rowing, so need some constructive criticism.

Also, your spot on the split - its 2.13.9, averaging 33 s/m.

33 strokes per min! I bet you are knackered!

Less strokes with more power and you will shave minutes off.

Knackered? yep. currently sitting here feeling quite sick, but also very pleased with myself.

Bear in mind im only quite short, so i would do more strokes over the same distance than you lanky gits.

Daede said:
Maninblue - i know im slow, but i need to compare this against others.

Im quite sure its half because my techniques pants, and half because im a bit aerobically unfit.
Ive gone from lifting weights and practicing Krav Maga twice a week, to much more aerobic exercise, and im really enjoying rowing, so need some constructive criticism.

Also, your spot on the split - its 2.13.9, averaging 33 s/m.
Over 2.00 per 500 you need to take the rating right down. Try fahrtleching with 500s. Keep the clock rate on 2min and see how low you can drop the rating. Should be able to get it under 20

If you go to the following link

http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/log_start.asp

and give yourself a log on, there's a facility to look at Concept2 users around the world, your age and weight, to see where you fit in.

Your doing alright to stay on there for half an hour mate. Most people only like the shorter distances and times. I've had one in my garage for a few years and have built up to half and full marathons. There are a few technique vids on youtube you can have a look at.

''Over 2.00 per 500 you need to take the rating right down''

What does that mean? rating?

COnvoy - thanks - i started off at 15 mins, then went to a krav class and got a loong lecture about half of exercise being mental toughness as opposed to physical. (instructor is ex Royal Anglian btw).

Next day jumped on the machine and gritted my teeth and went for it - totally (and i mean had to sit there not moving for 10 mins) knackered, but definately proved to myself that i can push myself further than i had previously realised.

Daede said:
(ie i want to beat everyone else).
You may want to reconsider.

My record is 4700000m in 59 days.

In your own time.......... :)

U

uncle_ho

I used a concept 2 to lose weight - over 7 stones in a year (21.11 to 14.6)
I'm 6 foot exactly. When I started I was blowing out of my hoop after 20 mins doing a split of 2:20/500m. After 14 months of regular training I can happily knock out 60 mins on a split of 1:55/500 then hop on a bike or cross trainer for another hour.
I set the damper level to about 8 as I find this most comfortable. Think of the resistance as a set of gears on a bike - peddaling on a lighter gear requires faster revolutions to achieve the same out put as peddaling on a heavy hear with less revolutions. Just find which level is the most comfortable for you.(Sir Steve Redgrave used to set his between 3 and 5)

you can get yourself in pretty good shape on the concept 2 if you keep at it and set realisitc goals. Their website is well worth a visist.

Level 7 on the concept II is equivalent to the resistance of water.

Only really useful if you also train/race on water, as most rowers do, but if you want to compare/compete with rowers then use 7.

U

uncle_ho

sandmanfez said:
Daede said:
(ie i want to beat everyone else).
You may want to reconsider.

My record is 4700000m in 59 days.

In your own time.......... :)
if you keep a log book with all your distances recored you can send a photo copy to concept 2 and get a free million meters T shirt to train in.They also do a 10 million m one.
ideal kit for strutting around the gym. Goes well with a set of stained shiny arrsed ron hills and a pair of honking trainers.

Daede said:
''Over 2.00 per 500 you need to take the rating right down''

What does that mean? rating?

It means that if you can't do 500m in 2 minutes but you are going like a belt fed wombat pulling 30+ strokes a minute, you are doing it all wrong.

You should be able to do a 2 minute 500m at around 20 strokes a minute. Work on that before you put the rating up. As any competition rower will tell you its the acceleration off the foot boards to the end of the stroke and then slowly and controlled back up the slide. You are probably 'bum shoving' to get that rate yet only going relatively slowly. Like someone else said, its like peddling like a barsteward in a very high gear on a mountain bike and only going about 3mph even though the feet are a blur and the sprocket is incandescent with friction.

Daede

Righty ho squire. Well done for getting off your arrse, but if you want to improve your time, technique is the way to go, and not just in the legs - body - arms - arms - body - legs way.

Height is a factor (length of levers) but the weight you are moving is far more important. If you are throwing 18 stone backwards, you have an advantage (of sorts, depends what the 18 stone is made of).

Rating = strokes per minute. 33s/m for 30 mins is silly, and you will never concentrate on technique at that speed. Believe or not, you can get good splits at half that! Try 22-24s/m.

Rowing is 1/6 power, 5/6 relaxation - ie kick back hard on the slide, and make sure the handle comes all the way through to your chest (image squeezing a grapefruit between your shoulder blades at the end of the stroke). On the recovery, you do just that - you almost drift forward in to take the next stroke. If you imagine erging in a boat, you put the power in to start the boat moving, and then you sit still while it moves under you until it is time to take the next stroke.

Listen to Galileo82 and uncle_ho.

And to all my coaches - thanks for the torture.

Teech

Good drills teech!

Exactly right. Our stroke (the chap everyone in the boat takes their timing off) use to count during training so he kept the same pace. I think he used 5secs

1 - The actual stroke - kick back hard as stated

2,3,4,5 - The recovery - slowly back to the starting position.

When winding up, keep the same power but on the recovery, do it in 2,3.

Repeat till failure! Easy

Thanks for the pointers gents.

To summarise:

1. Im going too fast on the stroke speed.
2. technique is key.

At the moment, ive got a real strong push off, but 'bum shoving' is very much what i do, so this needs addressing.

As has been said work on the old technique......... it's not really an intuitive motion, and you will make huge improvements from using the right technique, utilising legs/glutes/back in the right way.

Always good if you can find a coach to show you how to use it properly, as I tend to find they don't often do so very well in gyms.

It's a great machine, although as you will find out, you can't the erg, it always wins :(

The 30min session you are doing at the moment is a great one, the GB rowing squad use it as a test of aerobic capacity, 30 mins as hard as you can at a maximum of 20 strokes a minute. Anything below 2:00/500m for this session is great as a newcomer to the "erg", a great score to aim for eventually is 8000m or 1:52.5/500m.

The top guys in the GB rowing squad can make it beyond 9000m for the 30min rate 20 session, that's 1:40/500m :D...................... they tend to be scarily big chaps though:D