Rowing Machines

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by anal_discharge, Feb 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone out there used rowing machines as there primary fitness equipment, are they as good as they are made out, i have rather a large p!ss tank (all paid for)that i'd like to diminish and reside in a country where running isn't an option.

cheers
    AD

2. They're great mate. I spent a while away where running wasnt exactly adviseable either and the tour doing rowing. There is obviously a an issue with sitting in one place doing a repetetive exercise but there are ways to make it more 'interesting'. Have a look on the concept2 website. They do a results page where you can post your times over a range of different distances and be ranked alongside people all over the world. There is also a distance rowing scheme where you can add up your distances and once you reach 1 million meters you get a T-shirt and a mug, not the keys to a Porsche, I know but it is something to work for.
    As for are they any good, yes they are awesome bits of kit, they work just about everything and you can do endurance and interval type sessions. The website has a training programs page as well.

Codhead.

3. Agreed. the Concept 2 rowers are fantastic. Have a look on their web site, they do sales and all sorts.

As for training, I found that even with a small amount of running, (I was injured for a while and couldn't do a lot of running),
    they will improve your CV capacity immensely. Try doing intervals. Warm up at a slow pace for 5 minutes, then do intervals
    of 10, then 15, then 20 rows as hard and fast as you can with a 1 minute slow rest in between. If you do reps of those sets you'll be blowing!! Even doing distances, you'll find yourself looking at the clock and willing yourself to beat it!

Yes they are expensive, but I'd love to have the spare caash to buy me own.

4. Cheers guys, i've not bought a concept 2 but a similar design, i'll give you're exercise suggestion a go Perevodchik, any more intense workouts to rid me of this bulge i've developed over me belt would be more than welcome.

5. I'm a rower (proper on the water in a boat sort of rower) and the rowing machine is my primary source of land training. Its is the best cv workout you can get and there are so many ways to get info from the machine (certainly with the concept 2 ones, probably with the others too). It's lower impact, so far better for your joints, and uses all the major muscle groups. However, I find with long pieces (and I'm talking sitting on there for roughly 20km +) I get very bad back aches which is essentially caused by me being lazy with my posture. So, on the whole I'd say a definite yes, but watch your posture, don't slouch otherwise you'll really feel the effects on your back and that's really not fun.

6. A sore arrse is a bit of an occupational hazard as well...oo-er missus!!

7. We got one off Ebay for half price - reconditioned and with 12 months warranty. It was ex-fitness centre so well used, but everything works and it does the biz.

Cheers
    Scratch