Rowan Williams: Christianity "Offensive to Muslims"

The actual headline

Christian doctrine offensive to Muslims, says Archbishop of Canterbury

Which itself is misleading, as Dr. Williams actually says..........

Discussing differences between the religions, Dr Williams acknowledges that Christian belief in the Trinity is "difficult, sometimes offensive, to Muslims".The Trinity is the Christian doctrine stating God exists as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and conflicts with Islamic teaching that there is one all-powerful God.
He then further says

"Despite Jesus' words in John's gospel, Christianity has been promoted at the point of the sword and legally supported by extreme sanctions; despite the Qur'anic axiom, Islam has been supported in the same way, with extreme penalties for abandoning it, and civil disabilities for those outside the faith.
Trying to get an outrage bandwagon going Pipkin , and misrepresent the Telegraph and Dr. Williams into the bargain?

PartTimePongo said:
The actual headline

Christian doctrine offensive to Muslims, says Archbishop of Canterbury

Which itself is misleading, as Dr. Williams actually says..........

Discussing differences between the religions, Dr Williams acknowledges that Christian belief in the Trinity is "difficult, sometimes offensive, to Muslims".The Trinity is the Christian doctrine stating God exists as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and conflicts with Islamic teaching that there is one all-powerful God.
He then further says

"Despite Jesus' words in John's gospel, Christianity has been promoted at the point of the sword and legally supported by extreme sanctions; despite the Qur'anic axiom, Islam has been supported in the same way, with extreme penalties for abandoning it, and civil disabilities for those outside the faith.
Trying to get an outrage bandwagon going Pipkin , and misrepresent the Telegraph and Dr. Williams into the bargain?

Outrage wagon, driven by Pipkin i am shocked, truly. And Mis quoting too, doubly shocked

one would think he was a member of the legal profession 8O

I'm outraged at the possibility that pipkin may be trying to get a outrage wagon into the fast lane. If this is not the case then I will be outraged at PTP's outrageous allegation.......

The Trinity is the Christian doctrine stating God exists as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and conflicts with Islamic teaching that there is one all-powerful God.
1500 years ago christians were killing each other over this very point. One of the groups (the monophysites) converted to Islam when they were conquered by the muslims. Doubt this conflict will ever change ... so we may as well wipe the 'peace loving' F'ers out right now and steal their oil.

Why is Williams tarring Muslims with the Salaafi brush? He really needs to get new advisers like the concept of the human form of the godhead does *not exist in Islamic thought!

Have to admit for the first time ever I share Pipkin's outrage albeit for very different reasons!

* so out raged that I forgot my 't'

So in fact by your analysis Castlereagh, the future headline should read

"Rowan Williams offensive to Muslims"?

Keep going your Holiness, you'll get there in the end :D

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
"Priest admits different religions contradict each other" is hardly news.

"We're all different, and none of us are perfect. Do we really need to keep blowing each other up?" I think that's a pretty sensible comment, if a little optimistic.

BPS666 said:
I'm outraged at the possibility that pipkin may be trying to get a outrage wagon into the fast lane. If this is not the case then I will be outraged at PTP's outrageous allegation.......
Now thats just silly, busses are not allowed in the third lane of the motorway and are restricted to 60mph anyway (or is it now 56mph to bring us in line with Europe?)

Not much of a story though, 'different religions disagree with each other'

Error.

Should read:

"Rowan Williams offensive to British public"

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Someone better tell those christians and muslims living cheek by jowl all over the Middle East, er, and the rest of the world too.

They are sure to be absolutely horrified! Not to mention the fact that christians MIGHT possibly be a little offended that the jews helped the romans kill jesus, or worse, that the spiritual heart of the christian faith is in the very land from where his killers came - in fact, IT'S IN ROME FFS!!!!

Pogroms and Pimms all round, huzzzaaaaaa!

PartTimePongo said:

Not only Muslims I would suspect but I take it that little PTP never went to RE lessons then? :wink:

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
castlereagh said:
PartTimePongo said:

Not only Muslims I would suspect but I take it that little PTP never went to RE lessons then? :wink:
Now you're just splitting hairs! Rowan is offensive to everyone, no matter which religion OR BRANCH!

So there should be outrage with Williams. The man appears to be a liability. He is not even accurate in his apparent understanding of biblical matters. The doctrine of the Trinity does not, in fact, conflict with the Islamic teaching that there is one all-powerful God. The truth of the Holy Trinity is clearly illustrated in the ancient Jewish books and does not in any way provide a conflict with the doctrine of there being one all-powerful God.
Judaism and Christianity and Islam all refer to just one all-powerful God.
The Trinity is three persons in one Godhead, not three seperate Gods.
So how is his statement true?
The Trinity is the Christian doctrine stating God exists as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and conflicts with Islamic teaching that there is one all-powerful God.
It quite simply isn't. It's also a strange way to word it implying it's Christianity's doctrines that conflict with Islamic teaching, rather than the Islamic teachings that conflict with Christianity's doctrines.
Doctrines are the base lines and moveable teachings that contradict are the things that should be questioned.
Bend over far enough Williams and you'll get us all shafted :roll:

Biped said:
castlereagh said:
PartTimePongo said:

Now you're just splitting hairs! Rowan is offensive to everyone, no matter which religion OR BRANCH!
I am offended that you only restrain your offense to just sentient beings! I think you will find that nature is offended by Rowan Williams!

Robbie Williams is a cnut.

cpunk

LE
actiontoday said:
So there should be outrage with Williams. The man appears to be a liability. He is not even accurate in his apparent understanding of biblical matters. The doctrine of the Trinity does not, in fact, conflict with the Islamic teaching that there is one all-powerful God...
So you'd know this, Blondebint, from your extensive study of theology, unlike Archbishop Williams who has clearly never picked up a bible or Koran in his life?