Row Over Jesus Picture

Airport worker suspended for hanging picture of JC on a staff room wall. Wonder how the aiport management justified that?

Now, imagine if the picture in question was of the Prophet Mohammed and airport management removed it. How long do you think it would take for Muslims to become 'outraged and offended' not to mention the ensuing uproar!

Jesus Christ! (sic)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1019097_row_over_jesus_picture

A workplace staff room is not the place to unilateraly decide to hang up a sacred heart picture. That said, it does seem like the airport over-reacted a bit here. Oh, and Muslims hanging up a picture of Mohammed is supremely unlikely, given that visual representation of the Prophet is banned in Islam!

Airport management - did they not learn from the BA fiasco a few months back with that woman wearing her crucifix? :roll:

If it was a phot it would be black and white, don't think they had colour in those days. :)

SO3Paperclips said:
Its fine, providing no one objects if I stick up a sign that says "Jesus was a fraud and anyone who believes in God is an imbecile."
Quite, we should reserve the right to put up a picture of any historical figure we want.

B

benjaminw1

It's the gravy question - consistancy, if no one is allowed to put up "religious" pictures or wear religious dress, then what's the problem?

B

benjaminw1

SO3Paperclips said:
Its fine, providing no one objects if I stick up a sign that says "Jesus was a fraud and anyone who believes in God is an imbecile."
I'd like to see you do that replacing "Jesus" with "Mohammed"....

Indeed, that bit wasn't declared as Christian doctrine until the first Council of Nicea in 325

Bat_Crab said:
frog said:
Bat-Crab

ah, but are we sure he actually existed??
We are almost certain he existed, it's the "Son of God" bit that's b0llocks.
Lovely choice of words. So you are "not certain"?

This is precisely the problem. Stick up a picture of Jesus in a secular work-place and you're more or less inviting people to take the piss out of it. This goes particularly for devotions like the Sacred Heart which, quite frankly, appear extremely weird to those not of a Catholic persuasion. My potrait of the Pope and blood-spattered crucifix hang in my own home, where they belong and where I can politely invite people to f=ck off if they object.

How so? NICEA 1 was the first ecumenical council of the Chirstian church and resulted in the formualtion of the first uniform Christian doctrine, commonly known as the Nicene Creed. This creation of orthodox belief was aimed specifically at solving the disagreements in the church of Alexandria over Jesus' relationship to the 'Father', i.e. whether he was on the same substance or 'similar'. The Arian controversy, however, was only one part of the eventual declaration that Jesus was 'begotten, not made'. Concurrently, the issuance of doctrine at NICEA 1 created a unified from the two primary sees (Alexandria and Rome) to combat the spread of what had become considered heresy, primarily the Paulian and other gnostic belief that Jesus had been born a man. As such, it was the first time that the Christian Church took a stand and declared Jesus to be the son of God.

unless the entire staff were god bothers of the same sect this would only end in tears