Routes up Scafell Pike

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Boletus, Jul 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A group of us are doing the 24hr 3 Peaks Challenge this summer and I am in a quandry regarding which route to take up Scafell Pike - either from Wasdale or Seathwaite.

Bearing in mind we are against the clock, I am aware of several pro's and con's with each but would appreciate any input to help me make a final bloody decision!!!!! :?

Cheers.

2. Boletus,

Are you doing a personal '3 Peaks'? I was in the Ben Nevis Inn 2 weeks ago, stopped off from the West Highland Way for one or two Magners, the car park and everywhere else was full of people doing the official '3 Peaks Challenge' that day, marshalling banners and everything in position!

Gundulph

3. jmj

jmj Old-Salt

In my experience the route from Wasdale is much faster, but I think it's a bit longer to get to the start point by car. Seathwaite is certainly much further to walk (about another 2 miles), but probably an easier route if you have less fit people in the group.

I'd go via Wasdale personally.

J

4. Seconded

5. Same here jmj, harder but much faster way up, if you have never done Scafell before or don't know it that well it can be quite challenging in the dark due to the summit not being quite the sharp summit as you'll find on other mountains.

You'll find valuable advice in these 2 sites:

3 Peaks Info

Original Three Peaks Site

6. Cheers for all your input folks. You've basically confirmed my original thoughts but its always good to hear it from other parties.

We should be hitting the base of Scafell at first light, driving through the night from Ben Nevis, as I didn't fancy taking the guys up Scafell in the dark.

Gundulph, it's not an "off the shelf" 3 peaks but one I've jacked up for my guys - all good character and team-building stuff! Hoping to raise some cash for the breast care unit where my mum was treated for cancer last year as well. Everyones a winner !!!!

Thanks again!