Router help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Victorian_Major, Dec 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello collected wisdom,

True to its warranty, my BT Home Hub 1 is refusing to soldier as one of the two network ports has failed.

As I now need more than the two ports I am considering a replacement. A BT Home Hub 3 is about £25 on fleabay.

So, the questions are...

Firstly, for the outlay (£25-40) should I be considering something better than the HH3?
    Secondly, I've plugged a new Netgear N150 router into the connection and somewhere down the line it won't connect. So are BT routers and lines proprietary? Do I have to buy BT? I have a BT Vision box too - is this dependent on a BT router?

Thanks in advance - probably some rather naive questions here but I hate networky crap, and it hates me.
  2. I would get a brand new one and steer clear of E-bay, personally. are there any in the sales?
  3. Ah, what I meant was a BT HH3 on fleabay. I'd go for a new one if I was buying other than BT.
  4. If you are still a BT internet customer, I would phone them up and ask for a replacement free of charge, as the current one is not working properly.
  5. Done that. They offered a new one but wanted to tie me in - I may go down that route, on the other hand I'm investigating other options...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OTOH, if you really really like HomeHubs, I have two and you are welcome to them for cost of postage. IRRC I flashed one with the OEM firmware, "because I could". The other is vanilla BT.
  7. You even flash electronics, not just sheep and small rodents, Tiny?
    You Really do need help mate!
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

havent played with home hubs but cant you just add a cheap hub using the one good port as the uplink? an older 4 port router from another isp will do it if you dont want to pay a few quid for a new one.